eBike Robberies and security Problems

I bought one back first week December 2019.........still waiting.
:( Oh oh... that does not sound encouraging. No mention on the website that they were not shipping.

I should have known their broken website, like so many, that don't allow the discount code to be entered when using Apple pay and no easy contact link was a sign they may not be ready for prime-time.

🤞

Last edited:
I mean that's a point, but some eBikes and also road or MTB bikes are more expensive than cars and motorbikes. Should be some action against this kind of problems.

btw: do you know if there's a way to check if a bike's been stolen? I mean there are a lot of used bikes marketplaces, do you know if there's some tool or something to check if that bike is original?
Apple products can be bricked remotely. For example, if someone steals an iphone from an Apple store, the moment the thief leaves the store the iphone automatically gets bricked. Apple makes theft pointless since the product can't be used. Add to that Find My iPhone app make recovery easier.

If someone can come up with a product that can incorporate a similar technology. i.e. universal chip that's installed on all ebike controllers regardless of manufacturer that can disable the motor, along with GPS chip with a universal app, it would go along way in decreasing ebike theft. They would make ton of money as well. :cool:

Last edited:
Years ago, when the speed limit was lowered from 70 MPH to 55 MPH on US interstate highways, multiple studies showed that when states did that, auto fatalities increased. In states that enacted mandatory motorcycle helmets, motorcycle fatalities increased. Why did that happen? I have my suspicions, but they're not important, they stats are what they are.

Um, I quote from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law , the section titled "Safety Impact" (italics are mine):

The limit's effect on highway safety is unclear. Both during the time the law was enacted and after it was repealed, automobile fatalities decreased,[19] which was widely attributed mainly to automobile safety improvements, owing to an increase in the safety of cars themselves, and the passage of mandatory seat belt legislation by all states except New Hampshire from the mid-1980s to the early 1990s. [20][21] This decrease in fatalities from automobile accidents makes figuring out the actual impact of the law difficult. Although the vast majority of states reported fewer traffic deaths in 1974 compared with 1973, there were in fact three states where traffic deaths actually increased in 1974, 1975 and 1976, compared to 1973, notwithstanding the 55 mph (90 km/h) speed limit: Alaska, New Hampshire and Wyoming. [22]

:( Oh oh... that does not sound encouraging. No mention on the website that they were not shipping.

i should have known their broken website like so many that don't allow the discount code to be entered when using Apple pay and no easy contact lick was a sign they may not be ready for primetime.

🤞
Your post reminded me I bought one. I got in for $49....I'll wait it out.

I should have known their broken website, like so many, that don't allow the discount code to be entered when using Apple pay and no easy contact link was a sign they may not be ready for prime-time.

🤞

Founder, Kevin Fahrner, updates today that the Boomerang Cyclotrac V2 is planned to ship by the end of June. IMO, they improved the V2 case shape (to work with bottle cages), new alarm, and had some understandable delay with behind-the-scenes corporate changes in IoT vendor and corporate backers, now purportedly Netgear. Website is updated. Check your spam folder for a patient customer discount code, I just ordered another one.

product-v2.png

Police no longer give a good GD about stolen cars. Do we think they give a rip about bicycles? Do we encourage them to care about crime at all really? If and I say IF they arrest someone for property crime or so called minor offense and the local DA just puts the perp back on the street .... do you really think police will continue to do the job they were hired to do? Or will they just collect their paycheck for 20 years and then their hugely compensated retirement payments, and live a peaceful quiet life somewhere in the country.

We have a local satellite police precinct downtown near the touristy area here in Palm Springs, and I am considering stopping by and asking about local bike thefts in our community. Are the bad guys using angle grinders, are they driving the bikes away or tossing them in a truck and leaving, where are the hot spots etc.

I bought one back first week December 2019.........still waiting.
I just bought the Boomerang V2 tracker. Saw Court's review of the old model, and decided to get the current one even though it was quite pricey i ended up buying 2 with a discount coupon they sent me so they were under $70 each, but you do have to pay a monthly cellular fee for tracking. Still i think it is worth it even though i have some of the best locks and rarely need to leave my bike unattended, but i never know when i will need to. I may only activate 1 as i'm not sure i want to pay the monthly fee for both right away.

Just want to update, that I am still waiting. ... :(

The company responds and basically keeps saying next month. So right now I cannot recommend this brand.

Hi everyone!

My name is Edgar Gago Carrillo and an Engineer and MBA student currently working on a project to understand eBike current security problems(cities, towns, etc). I'd love to hear about your experiences and thoughts about it and if you've ever had any problem with parking your bike and how did you solve it.

I'm well aware that eBike robberies have increased almost all around the world and it's becoming a huge problem. I'm trying to understand the problem, talk eBike users that have had some bad experiences about it and also for those who hadn't in order to know what did they do.

Moreover, if anyone is open to having a chat with me via skype/WhatsApp/Facebook or whatever platform you want to use I'm more than happy to listen and chat with you about, it would help me so much to develop my research. If you're down for a chat, just let me now or send me a message to [email protected]

I'll be waiting to hear all about what are your thoughts about this,

Thank you!
Edgar
I just got my bike....surface 604 boar, all in $4,700. I live in a condo building with " secure" underground parking. I keep my bike up in my condo. I'm in the process of replacing anything "quick release" with the bolts you can get that are like the locking lugs you get for expensive rims on your car. Bought one of those screaming trembler alarms you can lock to your brake disc or anything else thin enough...and a good high rated chain lock. After all that I'm going to cross my fingers and try not to get too far away from it when I'm out.....wish we could wire them up like a stun gun.

My son bought a new Raliegh Hybrid. Locked with a bike chain to his bike rack on his car. Some dude walks up and pulls a bolt cutter out of his back pack. Cuts the bike loose and rides away showing on video at YMCA parking lot. Police report filed with serial number. police found the bike and called. They said it was damaged and some parts stripped. It sounded like it was not worth going to the police to see the mess.
Stolen bike serial numbers are accessed by pawn shops. I always keep battery inside away from bike. They can't sell a bike without a battery.

I always keep battery inside away from bike. They can't sell a bike without a battery.
Of course they can. That said, I agree it’s always good to keep your battery separate. I have no intention of leaving my bike anywhere out of sight and potential thieves need to remember the popularity of gun carry permits.🤨

Of course they can. That said, I agree it’s always good to keep your battery separate. I have no intention of leaving my bike anywhere out of sight and potential thieves need to remember the popularity of gun carry permits.🤨
Don't forget to add your NRA sticker to your bike. I friend had them in the window of his travel van back in the 90's when he worked in Dallas, and he never had anyone fool around with his van for some reason or another... 😉

Don't forget to add your NRA sticker to your bike. I friend had them in the window of his travel van back in the 90's when he worked in Dallas, and he never had anyone fool around with his van for some reason or another... 😉
No comment.

Some higher-end European ebikes arrive either with an ABUS framelock, or offer as an option with standard OEM mount points. I like that security for them isn't an afterthought. It would be great if all bikes worth stealing arrived with those mount points, like the bottle cage points. It's a lightweight and elegant solution for most of the quick supermarket/coffee shop journeys. There's a compatible chain or cable that plugs into the frame lock to wrap the bike to something immovable for longer periods of time. I've got both of these, a very cheap under seat motion sensor alarm, and a couple Boomerangs on order. Worth mentioning the Kunteng controllers also have C9 setting to lockout the ebike functions completely, with a power-on code. I'm looking forward to the Boomerang which should also have the visual deterrent of the red LED strobe that says the alarm is activated, like a car. I bought a Bisecu lock which promised many of these same features, but was sadly DOA. I don't think this is a crowded space at all. It's only crowded on the low-tech, old dogma D-lock solutions end of the spectrum.

Unknown.jpeg

Some higher-end European ebikes arrive either with an ABUS framelock, or offer as an option with standard OEM mount points. I like that security for them isn't an afterthought. It would be great if all bikes worth stealing arrived with those mount points, like the bottle cage points. It's a lightweight and elegant solution for most of the quick supermarket/coffee shop journeys. There's a compatible chain or cable that plugs into the frame lock to wrap the bike to something immovable for longer periods of time. I've got both of these, a very cheap under seat motion sensor alarm, and a couple Boomerangs on order. Worth mentioning the Kunteng controllers also have C9 setting to lockout the ebike functions completely, with a power-on code. I'm looking forward to the Boomerang which should also have the visual deterrent of the red LED strobe that says the alarm is activated, like a car. I bought a Bisecu lock which promised many of these same features, but was sadly DOA. I don't think this is a crowded space at all. It's only crowded on the low-tech, old dogma D-lock solutions end of the spectrum.

View attachment 65534
We often use the cage/frame locks we added to our Specialized Vados. Too bad the frame inserts were a bit off. Had to do some Dremel tool mods to the lock to get the frame inserts to line up. It seems this misalignment has been fixed on newer models...😎

Hi everyone!

My name is Edgar Gago Carrillo and an Engineer and MBA student currently working on a project to understand eBike current security problems(cities, towns, etc). I'd love to hear about your experiences and thoughts about it and if you've ever had any problem with parking your bike and how did you solve it.

I'm well aware that eBike robberies have increased almost all around the world and it's becoming a huge problem. I'm trying to understand the problem, talk eBike users that have had some bad experiences about it and also for those who hadn't in order to know what did they do.

Moreover, if anyone is open to having a chat with me via skype/WhatsApp/Facebook or whatever platform you want to use I'm more than happy to listen and chat with you about, it would help me so much to develop my research. If you're down for a chat, just let me now or send me a message to [email protected]

I'll be waiting to hear all about what are your thoughts about this,

Thank you!
Edgar
If you can tell me how people can thwart a 30,000rpm Dremel tool with a cutoff disc, then this thread will be worth it.

Back