eBike Robberies and security Problems

You know of a steel cable that can stand up to a cut off wheel? It seems odd that anything that the average bolt cutter can defeat could be strong enough to hold up under a grinder attack.

You know of a steel cable that can stand up to a cut off wheel? It seems odd that anything that the average bolt cutter can defeat could be strong enough to hold up under a grinder attack.

I'm always having to cut steel cable on the job. Always a problem ... until they came out with 18v battery operated 4" grinders and cutoff wheels. So easy and such a nice clean cut. Pretty quiet too. :cool:

I just got my bike....surface 604 boar, all in $4,700. I live in a condo building with " secure" underground parking. I keep my bike up in my condo. I'm in the process of replacing anything "quick release" with the bolts you can get that are like the locking lugs you get for expensive rims on your car. Bought one of those screaming trembler alarms you can lock to your brake disc or anything else thin enough...and a good high rated chain lock. After all that I'm going to cross my fingers and try not to get too far away from it when I'm out.....wish we could wire them up like a stun gun.

What is the trembler alarm you got?

@bikeman242 have a look at these too. I've got one zip-tied under my saddle...they're cheap, loud, and conspicuous. If anyone bumps, moves your bike, or begins to start working on defeating your lock, it'll be unambiguously telling everyone in earshot (at 113dB) that something's definitely askew about that situation.

61i97PFtNDL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

@bikeman242 have a look at these too. I've got one zip-tied under my saddle...they're cheap, loud, and conspicuous.

If anyone bumps, moves your bike, or begins to start working on defeating your lock, it'll be unambiguously telling everyone in earshot (at 113dB) that something's definitely askew about that situation.

View attachment 65871

I have the same alarm... very effective, but I always forget to bring the remote!

I have the same alarm... very effective, but I always forget to bring the remote!

Hehe, yes @FlatSix911 that remote and the battery health are important. I have a journaled reminder in my phone to change the batteries before 6 mos. My only beef so far is that the arming/disarming shouldn't need to be the same obnoxiously loud dB volume as the actual freakout alarm. I find myself walking 100-200ft away from the bike, entering store/market, blending into a busy crowd, and then discreetly arming/disarming it from my pocket.

Hehe, yes @FlatSix911 that remote and the battery health are important. I have a journaled reminder in my phone to change the batteries before 6 mos. My only beef so far is that the arming/disarming shouldn't need to be the same obnoxiously loud dB volume as the actual freakout alarm. I find myself walking 100-200ft away from the bike, entering store/market, blending into a busy crowd, and then discreetly arming/disarming it from my pocket.

I have the same alarm. For me it isnt that loud. The alarming/disarming noise is significantly louder than the alarm itself...maybe its broken?

@FlatSix911 , where do you mount your alarm on your BH?

I have the same alarm. For me it isnt that loud. The alarming/disarming noise is significantly louder than the alarm itself...maybe its broken?

@FlatSix911 , where do you mount your alarm on your BH?

It's mounted on the seat stays of my city bike, the Bianchi Manhattan. ;)

IMG_34791.jpg

I have the remote zip tied to the bike. A thief might be able to find it but if they are going to take time to find the remote they could quicker just smash the alarm, I guess. If they cared at all.

I have the remote zip tied to the bike.

Why even bother then?

Forgive me, but it's like the folks that pay thousands installing home alarm systems, with monthly monitoring, when they've sticky-noted the defeat pass code to the inside of the key punch pad inside the front door. Is that genius, or something else?

Why even bother then?

Forgive me, but it's like the folks that pay thousands installing home alarm systems, with monthly monitoring, when they've sticky-noted the defeat pass code to the inside of the key punch pad inside the front door. Is that genius, or something else?

Thats why we have homeowners insurance said the insurance agent! Heres a tip. Buy a bogus home security sign from Ebay and a loud dog. Problem solved. Our house was never burglarized...

Why even bother then?

Not quite analogous because the alarm and the remote are not tied together in the same place. Once the alarm goes off they'd be better off trying to kill the alarm than looking around for the remote. That's the way I figure it anyway :) . Probably they would just proceed to cut chains and locks or structures.
Plus if they find the remote and turn the alarm off it doesn't unlock anything.

I also have a similar alarm jammed in under my seat. It is extremely difficult to get at. So much so, that when the batteries start to die and it starts chirping to notify me (like a smoke alarm), it is quite a process to remove the seat to get at it. No thief is going to go through that.

That said, if bike manufacturers would like to make a real cutting edge improvement to their bike features, they ought to design their bikes with built-in, non-defeatible alarms.

I wonder why the e-bike motor is usually turned on by a button press if it should be activated by the very same key as used to unlock the battery... Nowadays it is as if you were leaving your Tesla with the door opened and a button were the only thing necessary to start the car...

I wonder why the e-bike motor is usually turned on by a button press if it should be activated by the very same key as used to unlock the battery...
Nowadays it is as if you were leaving your Tesla with the door opened and a button were the only thing necessary to start the car...

Good idea to link the key to the ebike motor for starting and operation... moto style. ;)

BTW, no key or start button is required on a Tesla... just get in and drive with the wireless fob.

Not quite analogous because the alarm and the remote are not tied together in the same place. Once the alarm goes off they'd be better off trying to kill the alarm than looking around for the remote. That's the way I figure it anyway :) . Probably they would just proceed to cut chains and locks or structures.
Plus if they find the remote and turn the alarm off it doesn't unlock anything.

I have my bike alarm on the frame by the rear wheel. It is usually covered in mud. The alarm is secured using Panduit zip ties, and would need a diagonal cutter to be removed. These are really strong zip ties.

The only fix for bike theft is a lockable individual storage system. Ride up, park the bike, lower the clam-shell over the bike, and lock it. As ebikes become more and more standard it's not just the bike but everything that needs to be safeguarded. Just as with handicapped parking, car slots should be set up to cover and protect up to 4 bikes wherever feasible. The best security I have found other than a bike babysitter is to lock and use an opaque cover over the entire bike so that it doesn't draw attention. People suck though, and just because it's locked doesn't mean it won't still be fucked with. I would also like to see unreasonably stiff fines for bike theft and tampering, say 6 months of bike infrastructure maintenance under state supervision for the 1st offense. They shot horse thieves... still do in some countries.

Interesting... my experience has been that using a cover draws more unwanted attention. YMMV.

Back