Ebike rack for 2014 Civic sedan

Silvercat

Appreciate any recommendations for an ebike rack for my 2014 Civic sedan. I will be installing a 1 and 1/4 inch Curt hitch. The Thule easy fold platform rack with built in ramps looks very good but is pricey at $1,100.00 Canadian. Curious if others with a similar car have found other options.
Thanks!

I had 1-1/4” receiver hitches on both a Civic and a Prius, for the purpose of using a hitch-mounted bike rack. Worked well, although this was before the ebike days, so the bikes were at most 30 lbs each.

There are several good ones out there, Thule, Yakima, Kuat, Saris, OneUp, to name a few.

One thing I would caution though, the manufacturers weight rating for the rack will typically be significantly lower when the rack is connected via the 1-1/4” tube vs 2”. I always take the battery out of transporting the bike on a rack to take a few pounds off the rack and hitch.

Appreciate any recommendations for an ebike rack for my 2014 Civic sedan. I will be installing a 1 and 1/4 inch Curt hitch. The Thule easy fold platform rack with built in ramps looks very good but is pricey at $1,100.00 Canadian. Curious if others with a similar car have found other options.
Thanks!
1 UP Quick Rack Single 1.25 has been great. Will carry my Gravelster at 35 lbs or my ESPN Sport at 60lbs. Very easy to set up and remove. I think I paid around 450.

Attachments

• 1 up w Gravelster.jpg
    1 up w Gravelster.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 149
I had 1-1/4” receiver hitches on both a Civic and a Prius, for the purpose of using a hitch-mounted bike rack. Worked well, although this was before the ebike days, so the bikes were at most 30 lbs each.

There are several good ones out there, Thule, Yakima, Kuat, Saris, OneUp, to name a few.

One thing I would caution though, the manufacturers weight rating for the rack will typically be significantly lower when the rack is connected via the 1-1/4” tube vs 2”. I always take the battery out of transporting the bike on a rack to take a few pounds off the rack and hitch.
Thanks. Yes, removing the battery makes total sense.
I also need a rack that accommodates ebikes with fenders/mud guards.

I use a KAC (Kick Ass Carriers) platform rack with 2" receiver, and find it very satisfactory. You might consider a Harbor Freight motorcycle carrier as an alternative. Quite inexpensive ($170), and even includes a ramp for rolling the bike on or off. I don't know what receiver size is required, though. Also don't know whether it would be long enough.

I use a KAC (Kick Ass Carriers) platform rack with 2" receiver, and find it very satisfactory. You might consider a Harbor Freight motorcycle carrier as an alternative. Quite inexpensive ($170), and even includes a ramp for rolling the bike on or off. I don't know what receiver size is required, though. Also don't know whether it would be long enough.
Not sure you can put a 2inch receiver on a Honda Civic?

For a heavy ebike with fenders, the Thule EasyFold is the gold standard.
  • It is rated for 130 lbs. total weight.
  • It clamps on the the frame so fenders are not an issue
  • It has a folding ramp for easier loading.
  • The locking mechanism does not rely on flimsy plastic covered cable but rather a lock out that disables the clamp's tightening knobs.
  • Folded up you can fit it in the trunk of any car.
  • The build quality is robust and made to last
  • It is expensive but has the most useful features of anything out there.

Back