Ebike for cross-country travel; advice? (Sondors or something else?)

Concerned

I'm looking for an ebike that could serve as the only means of transportation for a cross-country trip. Something that could get me over most terrain. The best bang-for-the-buck option. I've been considering a Sondors Fat because it's cheap and thus is a good platform for mods, but I do have some questions.

1. Should I definitely go gearless? The risk of getting stranded due to mechanical issues is obviously greater with a geared bike, plus, I'd have the motor to help me up hills.

2. Is it possible to cut off the pedal-assist on the Sondors to save on battery? I know stock it is set to always-on, but surely this can be changed?

3. Can the pedal-assist on the Sondors be changed from cadence to torque?

4. Should I be looking at a different ebike altogether?

Sounds like a good adventure! I was looking at some blogs by cycling enthusiasts. They typically took 60 days to cross the USA, averaging about 5-6 hours in the seat each day, going 50-70 miles a day, staying at motels and eating in diners. Thirty pound bikes with 30 pounds of gear. Tough times in the SW with mountains and desert and sometimes more than 80 miles between towns.

Translated to e-bikes, you still have 30 pounds of gear. Add 16 pounds for two batteries. Maybe a 45 pound bike. I think 50 miles a day with pedal assist is possible, at 12-15 mph on flat ground. You do not want a single speed. You need the gears to amplify your pedaling in the climbs. You don't want heavy steel either.

You do not want fat tires with their high rolling resistance. Have you ever tried to change a flat on a fat tire tire? Not easy with the little tire irons in bike kits. I have broken every one I had. You're not going to fill it with a hand pump.

But suppose you could get 20 Sonders owners and a support van carrying 60 batteries going cross county. Hey, I'm not a Sondors owner, but I want in, after I put a derailleur on one.

If you want to reduce the risk of derailleur issues go IGH - rohloff is the best and most reliable.
Don't have to nessessarily rule out fat bikes but a Sondors is really not the one for a tour like that - and put on fat road tires instead of knobbly off-road ones. I can change mine with my hands so they aren't all difficult to get off.

Good, reliable stuff generally costs $$$. It wouldn't be impossible on a Sondors but rather you than me. Lol

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. Sounds like the Sondors is out haha. I was interested in the fat tires for their off-road traction and cushioning, but if the added resistance is that bad I might as well get something easier for the road. Not like I'm going off-road across the country after all.

@Concerned if you're really serious about a cross country bike trip, I'd forget about ebikes altogether. They are heavy and have limited range. They will give you problems that will require special parts.

Buy a high quality touring bike, put a great seat and suspension and tires on it, and you've just saved 30 lbs and a lot of failure modes!

Don't worry. You will ride yourself into shape.

If you're hell bent on taking an ebike I'd look at Juiced Riders. They off some very large battery options

You can probably get over 70 miles a charge. If you stop for lunch could easily recharge and get 100 miles a day

Or DIY and design the bike to fit your needs

I've never ridden a Sondors, but I own a cheap 51 pound fat bike. I've been putting on some lighter weight parts while in the process of making it electric, but it's probably a fools project. The rear motor, wheel, and tire is 21.4 pounds.

Anyway, here's a review I found about the Sondors. Fast on flat ground, but not a hill climber. Might not be fair, but written from the point of view of a fat bike fanatic.
https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/...l-like-a-real-superhero-until-you-hit-a-hill/

Back