Ebike Control/Display Settings - Can you help me determine what some of these should be set to?

thatpondguy

Region
USA
So my display unit that's being used on a Bafang BBS02b motor with a 52v 20AH battery has these settings:
The bike is a 27.5 on WTB Trail Boss 3.0 tires w/ a 1-10x (now limited to 1-8x) with a 30T Luna chainring.

The display is a "Digitech b-cockpit BL181"
S1 Wheel Size 4.0 – 99 Inch 0.5
(This one was easy, selected 27.5)
S2 Perimeter 0-9999(Calculated by wheel size by default. 3.14*D)
(This one auto-populated based on selection 27.5 wheel size)
S3 Speed Unit 00:Km/h None 00:MPH - -
(I chose MPH)
S4 Speed Limit 00 – 99 (0 means no speed limit) km/h 1
(I chose 0)
S5 # of Magnetics 1-99 / 1
(I have no idea on this one - it's defaulted at 1. What does # of magnetics mean or do?)
S6 Backlight 1 – 5 / 1
(I chose 1, perfectly visible)
S7 Auto Power Off 0 – 99 (0 means always on) min 1
(Left at 10 default)
S8 Protocol - 00:KM5S;-01:Li 2;- 02:Customized
(default of 01 - anything else gives an error)
S9 Voltage 36;48 V -
(So for this I chose 48. It was default at 60 and was working... No option to choose 52. Leave it at 48?)
SA Electricity calculation method - 00:The controller reports the voltage, and display calculates - 01:Controller reported power;- 02:The display detect the voltage and calculates
(This was defaulted at 01, but was showing a newly shipped battery at full power... I changed to 00 and the power is now reading less than half. I'm hoping this is the more accurate choice?)
Sb Walk Mode 00:Yes; 01:No - -
(Chose "Yes" to enable walk mode)
Sc Default Assist 0-max / 1
(Chose "1" to start display in assist level 1)
Sd Max Assist 1-9 / 1
(Chose 9 to have 9 levels of power)
SE** Logo - 00:Digitech(Default);- 01:Neutral welcome screen;- 02:Customized Logo
(Not really important, left it at 00 default)
SF Reset 00:Yes;01:No
(I believe this resets all settings. Left at 01)
SH Serial communication00:3.3V;01:5V - -
(Display controller was defaulted to 5v, changed it to 3.3v and works fine. Which should it be?)

Any suggestions or recommendations on the red highlighted text would be much appreciated. Thanks all!

Not familiar with your display.
Thes are the settings for the display and not the controller correct?
For your wheel size setting put a tape measure on it from the ground to the top it will be more than 27.5" if you want to be dead nuts.
Check out a forum called Endless Sphere they have a ton of info on the BBXXX series motors from bafang.
Good luck.

Voltage wise 48v is fine, that motor will work up to about 60v without any harm.

So my display unit that's being used on a Bafang BBS02b motor with a 52v 20AH battery has these settings:
The bike is a 27.5 on WTB Trail Boss 3.0 tires w/ a 1-10x (now limited to 1-8x) with a 30T Luna chainring.

(I chose MPH)
(I chose 0)
(I have no idea on this one - it's defaulted at 1. What does # of magnetics mean or do?)
S6 Backlight 1 – 5 / 1
(Left at 10 default)
S9 Voltage 36;48 V -
(So for this I chose 48. It was default at 60 and was working... No option to choose 52. Leave it at 48?)
SA Electricity calculation method - 00:The controller reports the voltage, and display calculates - 01:Controller reported power;- 02:The display detect the voltage and calculates
(This was defaulted at 01, but was showing a newly shipped battery at full power... I changed to 00 and the power is now reading less than half. I'm hoping this is the more accurate choice?)
Sd Max Assist 1-9 / 1
SE** Logo - 00:Digitech(Default);- 01:Neutral welcome screen;- 02:Customized Logo
(Display controller was defaulted to 5v, changed it to 3.3v and works fine. Which should it be?)

Any suggestions or recommendations on the red highlighted text would be much appreciated. Thanks all!
Which display are you using?

(I chose MPH)
(I chose 0)
S6 Backlight 1 – 5 / 1
(Left at 10 default)
S9 Voltage 36;48 V -
Sd Max Assist 1-9 / 1

I'm late here, but some thoughts/suggestions:

Assuming "perimeter" is circumference, then choosing the size of the metal wheel is actually incorrect. You could measure the diameter of the tire as mounted on your bike, or you could roll your bike on the ground for a few revolutions to get a true value of the circumference. This probably only affects the displayed MPH.

This is the number of magnets on the rear wheel. The display uses this in combination of circumference to figure out MPH and distance traveled. Your motor may also be using this internally as well to control and/or limit power.

S9 Voltage 36;48 V -

This is probably used by the display to show you remaining battery SOC (State of Charge). Lots of 48 volt systems handle 52 volt batteries, but calculations are often off with regards to SOC. That's why some people just have it show battery voltage and do the math in their head.

This sounds like how the power output of the motor is displayed, but if the power reading is non-zero when the bike isn't moving then it's the calculation of SOC for the battery. I'd play around with the battery at known SOC and see what gives you the best results. Note that often batteries aren't fully integrated into the motor controller, so 01 may not work properly at all but if it does work it may be accurate.

Hard to tell. Why did you change it to 3.3V? It might be the voltage sent to the display from the motor controller, in which case matching it is your best bet. If your display has a USB port, then you probably 5V just to be able to power that port. The "S" in USB is Serial, but that could be totally irrelevant.

Back