eBike at a traditional bike event, Gran Fondo Goldendale, WA

JethroXP

Region
USA
City
Duvall, WA
I’ve got a dual battery full suspension fat tire eBike, the Biktrix Juggernaut FS Pro 3. With dual batteries and the way I ride, almost exclusively on PAS 1, I can easily get more than 100 miles out of it. I live in Washington state and there is a group call Viscous Cycle that hosts several Gran Fondo events each year, typically with lots of gravel and lots of elevation gain. For each event they have a Grande and a Medio course, typically about 90 and 45 miles respectively. I’ve signed up for the medio at Goldendale to get a feel for it. My concern is not with my ability or the bike, but rather the other riders. I’ve watched every YouTube video I can find from the organizers and participants of past rides and I’ve yet to see an eBike among them, they all appear to be traditional road and gravel bikes and the big draw appears to be that the event is a major sufferfest due to the distance and elevation gain on each ride. Before registering I did email the organizer to ask about riding an eBike, and he said that while it’s a touchy subject for some, they do allow them and the only difference is that I won’t get a finishing time. It’s not a race, just a ride, but I can understand why others wouldn’t appreciate my time mixed with theirs.

All that said, has anyone had any experience riding an eBike in a traditional bike event like this? I’m not trying to show up anyone, or take anything away from anyone, I just want to ride the course and enjoy the experience. But my big fear is that I’ll be treated with scorn and disdain for showing up on an eBike, and particularly one that looks so different from all the other bikes. I’ve thought about hanging back in the rear, trying not to pass anyone, but I suspect that on the climbs passing others will be inevitable. Anyone have any similar experiences you can share?

I’ve got a dual battery full suspension fat tire eBike, the Biktrix Juggernaut FS Pro 3. With dual batteries and the way I ride, almost exclusively on PAS 1, I can easily get more than 100 miles out of it. I live in Washington state and there is a group call Viscous Cycle that hosts several Gran Fondo events each year, typically with lots of gravel and lots of elevation gain. For each event they have a Grande and a Medio course, typically about 90 and 45 miles respectively. I’ve signed up for the medio at Goldendale to get a feel for it. My concern is not with my ability or the bike, but rather the other riders. I’ve watched every YouTube video I can find from the organizers and participants of past rides and I’ve yet to see an eBike among them, they all appear to be traditional road and gravel bikes and the big draw appears to be that the event is a major sufferfest due to the distance and elevation gain on each ride. Before registering I did email the organizer to ask about riding an eBike, and he said that while it’s a touchy subject for some, they do allow them and the only difference is that I won’t get a finishing time. It’s not a race, just a ride, but I can understand why others wouldn’t appreciate my time mixed with theirs.

All that said, has anyone had any experience riding an eBike in a traditional bike event like this? I’m not trying to show up anyone, or take anything away from anyone, I just want to ride the course and enjoy the experience. But my big fear is that I’ll be treated with scorn and disdain for showing up on an eBike, and particularly one that looks so different from all the other bikes. I’ve thought about hanging back in the rear, trying not to pass anyone, but I suspect that on the climbs passing others will be inevitable. Anyone have any similar experiences you can share?
Ride on! If the entry forms don't ban ebikes, you should be fine. Pass those guys like they are standin still!

When I asked about ebikes at the Tour De Whidbey last year, the rep said they're welcome! Thinking about maybe getting a group together for this year's event ...
I'm also signed up for some 3-day events with Cascade.org, they are the group who organize the annual STP, Seattle to Portland ride. I'm doing the 3-day ride at Lake Chelan at the end of April. I was also nervous about riding with them but I did one of their free weekend group rides and despite being only 1 of 2 ebikers in a group of 60 traditional cyclists I was very warmly received and welcomed. When I signed up for the Chelan ride I had to agree to their code of conduct, which very specifically states that all riders, regardless of equipment or ability, are welcome and will be treated with respect, and I experienced that firsthand. The only limitations they place on eBikes are based on local route restrictions, so each event will state what types of eBikes are allowed (Class 1, 2, or 3).

I’ve done Gran Fondos, though my e-bike looks much more like a traditional bike (Ride1UP Roadster v2), until they see the external add on battery. I do ride in lowest assist, so I’m in the middle of the pack of riders, and with a SS I’m standing climbing up all hills.

Key I think is to just not be a jerk, and ride smoothly and courteously, and it should not be an issue for 99% of the riders 😃

Last edited:
I'm also signed up for some 3-day events with Cascade.org, they are the group who organize the annual STP, Seattle to Portland ride. I'm doing the 3-day ride at Lake Chelan at the end of April. I was also nervous about riding with them but I did one of their free weekend group rides and despite being only 1 of 2 ebikers in a group of 60 traditional cyclists I was very warmly received and welcomed. When I signed up for the Chelan ride I had to agree to their code of conduct, which very specifically states that all riders, regardless of equipment or ability, are welcome and will be treated with respect, and I experienced that firsthand. The only limitations they place on eBikes are based on local route restrictions, so each event will state what types of eBikes are allowed (Class 1, 2, or 3).
p.s. - generally at Gran Fondos, people are really supportive, to try to help you make it through the full course. I got offers of water and electrolytes, when the temp got over 100F and doing major mountain climbs, and I ran out of water (duh), and I was struggling with my SS gear ;)

I signed up for a 250 km gravel ultra-marathon for June (the limit is three days). I explained my position in the application form to the organizers, and have not heard "No" yet. I hope my Cycling Club will support me; I do not expect to get the finishing time, either. Well, I have been embraced by my CC, so perhaps I should not be afraid of the participation in that ultramarathon? Only battery recharging might be tricky!

@Readytoride: Could you chime in?

I signed up for a 250 km gravel ultra-marathon for June (the limit is three days). I explained my position in the application form to the organizers, and have not heard "No" yet. I hope my Cycling Club will support me; I do not expect to get the finishing time, either. Well, I have been embraced by my CC, so perhaps I should not be afraid of the participation in that ultramarathon? Only battery recharging might be tricky!

@Readytoride: Could you chime in?
That sounds somewhat similar to the Seattle-to-Portland event we have every year in my area. Its 200+ miles (about 330 km) and you can do it in one or two days, and eBikes are welcome. If I ever decide to do that, I'll probably need to bring a 3rd battery. Good luck, I hope it works out well!

p.s. - generally at Gran Fondos, people are really supportive, to try to help you make it through the full course. I got offers of water and electrolytes, when the temp got over 100F and doing major mountain climbs, and I ran out of water (duh), and I was struggling with my SS gear ;)
That's good to hear. I'm planning to wear a backpack style hydration pack and keep some extra Powerade and snacks in my trunk bag to help others.

Best of luck! Eager to hear how it goes.

Especially interested to hear the technical questions you get about your bike. Anyone who signs up for a ride like that has to be into bike technology to some extent. The motorless among them will have been battling forward and rotational inertias and air, slope, tire, ground, and bump resistances all their cycling careers. They'll know at least the basics. Mechanically, your bike will look like a big mistake to many of them — at least for that ride. Bound to stir up some curiosity.

That said, your bike could also have some mechanical advantages on that course — for example, less sinkage and that much less ground resistance in the less‐packed gravel.

Since I have no experience with bikes like yours, wondering if you foresee any advantages —besides the motor?

No doubt my bike will look like a monstrosity to them, configured the way I ride it weighs about 90 pounds and includes a bell, rearview mirror, cellphone holder, toolkit, all stuff that traditional bike riders leave behind to save weight. Aside from the motor, I see the advantages of having full suspension for the rough sections, and the fat tires not only provide amazing traction, but also smooth the ride because they max out at only 20 PSI, but I usually run them around 18 PSI, so kind of like riding on pillows. And because I have motor assist, that makes having a trunk bag on my rear rack an option for carrying snacks, extra water, and other gear that riders on traditional bikes might choose to leave behind to save weight. I have a rear hub drive bike as well but chose this mid-drive bike for the ride because it has more torque and is better suited to hill climbing.

I'm looking at this event not as a group ride, but as an opportunity to ride a course I normally wouldn't. For me it's the exploration and adventure. I'd rather not be in a large group. And I've also had someone yell out at me, while I was riding alone on a local trail, that I was riding a "cheater bike". I just bit my lip and kept riding. I'd really like to ask "Cheating who, and at what?"

You didn't say whether, you used your throttle. I'm assuming that you didn't, since your mostly PAS 1.

You didn't say whether, you used your throttle. I'm assuming that you didn't, since your mostly PAS 1.
Only in very specific situations, like when a trail crosses a busy road, or if I'm stopped and need to get through a road intersection. The bike (with both batteries) weighs 90 pounds, so I use the throttle to those situations to get moving quickly.

You lost me when I saw snow! I only ride when it is 65 plus Fahrenheit.
🤣

This is the Pacific Northwest, if we waited for that kind of weather to ride we'd have maybe a few weeks each year (or so it seems sometimes). I think even for these events that snow was a rare occurrence. They actually don't schedule any events in July or August to avoid the heat. Looking ahead at the weather forecast for the event I'm doing, it's looking like it will be mid-40s to low-50s and partly cloudy. Ideal for an event like this.

Back