"Early June" Radrover shipments

Could someone post a link to the amazon page for the Mr Tuffys people speak of that fit this bike specifically?

unboxed mine and am putting it together now.

has anyone had any problem tightening the handlebar? my top screws go in, but the bottom ones seem like they aren't threaded or something because they don't tighten down nearly as far as the top ones.

Did you tighten the top ones all the way down before starting the bottom screws? Undo the top screws some and then tighten down the bottom ones. The idea is to go from top to bottom and back to make sure the plate in front stays even. You'll end up with a gap between the plate and the stem-it should be even on top and bottom.

even when i take the plate out completely the screws dont fit the hole correctly. im just going to use a tap to thread it myself. the screws are 6mm (1mm pitch) if anyone encounters this in the future

got it threaded out. no other issues. was already dark when i got it up and running but it definitely works and is definitely cool. i'll give more thoughts later

So I've gotten to put about 40 miles on my bike so far... with about 35 of that being on roads (and 2 miles of that in a vicious thunderstorm) and 5 miles of it being on some pretty muddy trails and through quite a few puddles.

Here are my impressions:

- The way Pedal Assist works kind of surprises me. I was expecting Level 1 to maybe only give me 100-200W of power and level 5 to max out the power (up to the 20mph threshold). But in reality, the motor still gives you the full power even at pedal assist level 1, it just cuts off at like 10-12mph. So far to me this hasn't been a pro or con, just an observation.

- The bike is fun to ride. Climbing hills is a piece of cake now. On steep ones, you can pedal hard and see if you can give the motor a break but it's probably going to keep assisting you. This is a great commuter bike.

- The bike handles the mud pretty well though there were a few times when it slid around a bit. But these were very muddy trails after a big downpour. If you plan on riding on wet roads or trails, I definitely advise getting fenders because I got a face full or dirt and mud over and over again.

- The throttle works really well, though I have noticed that I have pressed the red throttle button a couple of times on accident mid-ride without noticing it and when I next went to use the throttle, it didn't respond and I had a momentary panic attack.

- The battery charge indicator on the LCD screen isn't great. It can vary between reading 2 and 5 bars (out of 5 possible) when it is at near full charge based on... well, I'm not exactly sure. It seems like it gives a more accurate reading when on level ground but I'm not exactly sure.

- I so far have only been able to change between gears 6 and 7. When I try to go to gear 5 the thumb shifter just doesn't go. I need to give the bike a look and check and see if this is an easy fix because right now, I've only been able to use 2 of the 7 gears... and I assume that probably hurts my battery life a pretty good bit when climbing hills.

- Overall, love this bike for my intended purposes: taking it offroad and using it to commute. Kills 2 birds with 1 stone coming from someone who was in the road cycling world.

I took my bike to the N.GA mountains this weekend and got in some time on mainly gravel roads. Very nice and smooth over uneven terrain. I, too, had an issue with the shifter/derailleur combo. My shifter works but some gears (3/4 mainly) won't catch right away. I'll shift and then a few seconds later the chain will move on the cassette. I also had the chain come off twice, both times while in 1st gear, so I'm assuming that's a chain line issue. I'll probably take it to a shop to see if they can adjust the derailleur or if it needs to be replaced by a higher quality unit.

I didn't seem to have an issues with the battery or electronics. I only got down to 3 bars and that appeared accurate to the amount I had ridden. I was surprised at how much faster PAS 2 is compared to PAS 1. We only got to PAS 4 riding around the property, and that seemed fast enough for me. It was nice to ride around on a high 80's day and not sweat bullets.

All in all, very pleased with the bike as it has fulfilled my expectations and then some.

@sakau2007 I would definately upgrade and adjust the derailer. Have your LBS do this for you. It's worth $20. My derailer from the factory caused the chain to jam and the hanger to break the first ride out. I didn't even get 100 ft. from my back door. It took all day (read here: my TIME) and $40 bucks to get it back working again. You'd hate to have something like that happen on the trail away from home or your car. Mine is a Shimano Claris and works great. It's only a couple of dollars difference on eBay between the stock one and the one I have now, but worlds of difference during real world use of the bike.

IMG_3079.JPG
IMG_3087.JPG IMG_3088.JPG IMG_3091.JPG IMG_3090.JPG I received my RadRover bike this week.

Box was in bad shape. Poor shipping with damage.

Paint damage to fork, front wheel, and derailleur guard.

Sent email to RPB and received reply same day. However, was disappointed with their offer to send me touch-up paint (when they get some in stock) and new guard.

Do you think their resolution is appropriate? I want to be reasonable, but I'm not excited about putting touch-up paint on my bike that should have been delivered in "like new" condition.

Last edited:
@Eeavens462 I would fight to get every issue resolved. Read my post on here from when I received my radrover. It was in similar shape to yours with a lot of damage. We pay $1,499 for these bikes and then $174 shipping on top of that. They need better quality control in China and better shipping practices. My ebike from Prodecotech (made in USA) was shipped flawlessly with zero damage (packaged very well) and cost me $1,900 w/ free shipping. RPB could learn a thing or two from these guys. Every aspect of your business matters to the end user.

My two Radrover boxes were beat to hell with a large 2 foot tear on the side of the box for my bike. Both boxes looked like they were dragged on a dirty warehouse floor for fun and chucked out of the back of a truck. The rear derailleur on my bike was bent so much the chain would rub against the tire in 1st-3rd gear (so far, bending it back has fixed it for now). The front disk brake on my bike was bent and it took some effort to bent it true. My left pedal crank arm fell off after a few days of riding and I could only get it to stay on for 1-2 miles no matter how much Loctite and TQ I applied. I lost the crank bolt during the ride and arm eventually fell off about 4 miles from home. So glad the Radrover had a throttle to get me home (hard to peddle using PAS with only one crank). Rad Power Bikes did send me a new crank arm+bolt and that has stayed put after 2 months and +300 miles.

The wife's Radrover shipping box was in a little better condition and she didn't have the mechanical issue I've had with my bike. I didn't notice any big cosmetic issues I couldn't live with. At $320 for shipping for two bikes, you would expect a little more protection of the product.

I can only imagine how beat-up the Radrover would have been if I lived on the east coast instead of the southwest.:eek:

Thanks guys for sharing your experience.

Based upon my pictures of damage, what do you think an appropriate (and reasonable) resolution is?

Your bike looks like mine after 3 months and +350 miles of commuting and riding the trails (with a few spills along the way).

I would send Rad Power Bikes the pictures to show the condition of the shipment. They should replace the rear derailleur guard and I would ask for a partial refund on your shipping cost because of cosmetic damage. The damage doesn't seem to effect the "ride-ability" for the Radrover and I don't think they would replace the other parts. Touch up paint can get you back to normal.

Side note: I also had to check all my spokes because about 10-15% of them felt loose.

RPB really needs to update the shipping box. I received two Rovers (at different times) and both were damaged.

I first thought "well this is just UPS and the bike is coming cross country.. so what can you expect". Can't fault RPB for a UPS problem.

But after receiving three more bikes (all arriving in excellent condition from the West Coast - two Sondors Thin and Original and an ELux Tahoe).

I've changed my mind and will say this is a Rad Power Bikes problem. It seems so simple to me.. just upgrade the packaging of the bikes. ELux and Sondors sure do a better job than RPB.

When you talk to RPB they say "on a rare occasion a bike will get damaged" and "we are working to improve our packaging". Well.. those comments were made to me six months ago. Has there really been any change to the quality of the shipping container? Sounds like there has been no change at all.

There is no way RPB is not aware of the damage issues when shipping their bikes cross country.

The damages described above are very similar to what was damaged on both of the Rovers I received.

RPB is a good bike and the people at RPB are first rate.

The only reason I have not ordered a RadCity is I fear it would get damaged in shipment. I don't want to go through the hassle again of having to repair a new $1500.00 bike just after taking it out of the box. Of course the box is already so badly damaged you don't have to open it. It just falls off from around the bike.

RPB... Just upgrade the shipping container. Take a look at the Sondors box.

Last edited:
i had 2 other bikes shipped from 2 other bike companies one with ups and one with a different shipper
both had a little damage to the box and bike
ups was the worst....

i dont remember my bike shop saying anything about issues with the radmini when it was delivered and they did on another bike...

interesting you think the sondors box was better, would have liked to see a picture of it
as rough as the shipping companies seem to be on them the best box the companies can come up with is the way to go

@vincent

I still have all the boxes from my ebike orders (Rad Power Bikes, Sondors and ELux). If I have time I will post some after UPS comparison pictures of each.

You can see how well Sondors are packaged by viewing Court's EBR YouTube review of the Sondors THIN. Not only is the box strong but the bike is packaged very well in the box. Both the Thin and Fat are equally well packaged.

There are many examples of the Sondors packaging on YouTube. Search on "Sondors ebike unboxing"

Back