E-Horn?

Even using 2 7A lithium battery packs, it wasnt enough juice to power the Stebel completely. So got a 12V transformer and wired into the 52V system. It honks now.. Plus the aux led headlights and turn signals are quite happy.
Yeah, as far as horns and lights are concerned, it's the voltage that gives results.
I have a 48v light too and it is brighter than a headlight from a car.
I have to angle it down to avoid blinding others, even in broad daylight.

I’m in the don’t over do what can be done with a simple bell riders. Stebel on the street is ok but rude on shared paths. We simply slow down.

tried this guy for my wife it worked great and got peoples attention but it stopped squeaking before the first ride was finished.
IMG_0342.jpeg

The SuperNova horn on the R&M bikes is just right. Great sound and perfect loudness. They won't sell it to consumers though.

The dinky little bell on my e-bike is awful. Just not loud enough.

On my motorcycles I’ve always installed air horns and they make a world of difference.

Have any of you found a good electronic horn you’re happy with? I certainly don’t want to scare the pants off someone walking on the bike path but I do want them to hear my warning. Maybe there’s a louder bell?
I also needed a louder bell and ended up with the ROCKBROS dual bell I reported on here. Significantly louder than stock with a nice tone modulated by a vibrato-like beat due to the slight difference in bell frequencies.

HOWEVER, when coming up on pedestrians from behind, I still have to ring at least 3-4 times to get a visible reaction — more if they're talking to companions or wearing earbuds.

The average pedestrian's lack of situational awareness is truly mind-boggling. Seriously considering a clown horn at this point, as pedestrians are generally my biggest threat.

Regardless of how you get their attention, you still have to slow way down and be ready for anything. As others have noted, many if not most pedestrians move toward the center of the path or road when the bell finally registers, not to the side.

Got it, thanks! I am trying not to touch the electrical part of my bike because Bosch generally don't like this. Hoping my LBS will do the wiring - waiting the confirmation from them.

P.S. Confirmed with LBS that Busch + Müller E-Bike Horn should work fine with Bosch motor if connected to the "3rd party accessory" port on the motor. Ordered one from bike24.com (last one :cool: ) and going to try set it up with eBike battery.
Did you end up using that port on your gazelle? I already used it and thinking about splicing into the headlamp power.

Actually would be curious if you got it up and running at all; the button only fits the narrowest part of the handlebar, while the cable from button to horn is too short to reach the mounting point under the headlamp.

Edit: both the B+M horn, and the Gazelle light pry open easily. There is enough cable slack to steal from one end and give to another to facilitate placement.
The sound, however... not so hot coming from the Gazelle headlamp power, or a 9v battery. Example - very piercing and high pitched. Maybe it requires a much higher voltage? It's so bad that I wouldn't even install it.

Last edited:
Did you end up using that port on your gazelle? I already used it and thinking about splicing into the headlamp power.

Actually would be curious if you got it up and running at all; the button only fits the narrowest part of the handlebar, while the cable from button to horn is too short to reach the mounting point under the headlamp.
Yes, I installed it and LBS connected the wire to the motor. It fits and works without issues at all. I am using GoPro mount and twin adapter to place horn and my cycliq camera under the front light (SuperNova Mini mounted with Nyon in common mount).
Button is on right side, next to grip and right under thumb.

Honestly, I am not using it that often and usually prefer bell, but sometimes it helps for sure, especially in the city, where noise masks bell and make it pretty much useless.

Attachments

• GoPro.png
    GoPro.png
    330.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Adapter.png
    Adapter.png
    280.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Yes, I installed it and LBS connected the wire to the motor. It fits and works without issues at all. I am using GoPro mount and twin adapter to place horn and my cycliq camera under the front light (SuperNova Mini mounted with Nyon in common mount).
Button is on right side, next to grip and right under thumb.

Honestly, I am not using it that often and usually prefer bell, but sometimes it helps for sure, especially in the city, where noise masks bell and make it pretty much useless.
Woah, nice setup and supernova light!

Is the sound more like post #89 or #91?

I don’t expect to use it much either, only for cars. Almost got pinched the other day when a car drifted into the bike lane. That sort of thing.

Last edited:
Thanks! This was final setup after several attempts to organize light/horn/camera. I tired probably half of the different mound for GoPro available on market before getting to current setup :)
Oh I bet -- figuring out mounting is surprisingly tricky. Went through this with the Varia radars.
Gonna bookmark this in case we decide to add Supernovas. These bikes should really come with this light to begin with, having high beams is so critical.
Here is the recording - http://sndup.net/y85y. I think it is in the middle, closer for #89.
Oh wow, that's definitely not the sound I want to hear! Not gonna install these after all.
Thanks for the clip!

I’ve listened to the horn sound clips, but they don’t sound that loud and there’s no decay.

When I ring my bell, some people jump out of their skin and, it’s got a good long decay, so gets noticed.

DG…

Wouldn’t ever use a horn around people (that’s what a bell and voice is for), but as tested with my bike it is actually quite loud and piercing.

You can hear from my clip that it’s much higher pitch than that in the Riese and Muller video. Maybe my bike isn’t giving a high enough voltage? Sounds bad imo.

I’ve listened to the horn sound clips, but they don’t sound that loud and there’s no decay.
They are relatively small after all - these are not truck or ship horns :)
But I can assure you, they are much louder than any bell.

They are relatively small after all - these are not truck or ship horns :)
But I can assure you, they are much louder than any bell.
Yeah and seeing how tiny the membrane is there is no way this device creates the low frequencies in the R&M video. Super loud though!

I'm very sure the electronic horns are weak by comparison. No doubt. But the electronic horns is surely louder than the stock bell on my bike. And for the price I'm going to try that first. And if it's really not enough, then I'll consider something like what you suggest.

The stock horns on my motorcycles have always been way too quiet. Sort of like an "Excuse me please... watch out for me." I've always installed Stebel air horns so that the bikes now SHOUT "WATCH OUT!!!!" Sounds like a truck.

But I'm really not sure I need that on my bicycle.
the thing about the bell is this,its a distinctive sound,not necessarily loud but usually demands attention,I like my old bulb horn a lot,cheap and easy to install.

Back