e-bike rollercoaster. What's next?

One step at a time....

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Evelo bikes. I just got my Omega from Evelo and wanted to this bike would probably meet your requirements, at least most of them. It has belt drive with an Enviolo CVT hub. It also comes with Enviolo's Auotmatiq which shifts gears for you automatically. Just set your cadence and the Automatiq changes gears for you to keep you within that range. The only thing that seems to not meet your requirements is the motor. The motor is 750w, 115Nm mid-drive with torque and cadence sensors. But it is a Dapu which is a Japanese company. So far I've been really impressed with it. The bike comes with a 4-year warranty that covers frame, electronics, and motor. If you need service, they find a local bike shop and arrange for them to do the service. You might want to check them out.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned Evelo bikes. I just got my Omega from Evelo and wanted to this bike would probably meet your requirements, at least most of them. It has belt drive with an Enviolo CVT hub. It also comes with Enviolo's Auotmatiq which shifts gears for you automatically. Just set your cadence and the Automatiq changes gears for you to keep you within that range. The only thing that seems to not meet your requirements is the motor. The motor is 750w, 115Nm mid-drive with torque and cadence sensors. But it is a Dapu which is a Japanese company. So far I've been really impressed with it. The bike comes with a 4-year warranty that covers frame, electronics, and motor. If you need service, they find a local bike shop and arrange for them to do the service. You might want to check them out.
I have. Both the evelo Omega and Atlas are on the list (in fact, they might be the list). The omega is not readily available. The Atlas may be ( but stock could be gone, it was available yesterday to ship shortly ).

I have no inherent problems with the evelo bikes. My concern is simply swapping one internet direct brand for another internet direct brand (that costs a lot more money). The brose motor in the serial 1 was plenty powerful. And the priority motor is crazy when the power shows itself. Which is not always. I am sure either of those bikes are "enough" for general riding here.

With priority, my LBS doesn't really do diagnostics or have motivation besides "here priority sent some parts, install them". Evelo is upfront that they don't pay for the labor outside of issues in the first 30 days. That's only an issue for me if I need a new motor every two months.

So it's just a risk thing. It seems to be a fine brand. But I can't buy them without the refund on my current first. And, with my luck, the atlas will be out of stock by then. We shall see.

So the current short list filtered by what I can possibly get in the near future:

Evelo Atlas
Gazelle c380+
Zen Samurai (not sure this one is actually available)
Vado (If specialized gets its head out of its ass)

Vvolt I could get. But I am not sure I see the point in that over priority current.
If I give up belt drive/IGH there are tons of options.

The gazelle is the best option as far as I can tell. But I do see why people are brand faithful to specialized for the product.

That may be a complete list for belt drive bikes I can obtain.

Have you ruled out the Serial 1 bike based on your dislike of the pedaling experience? All 4 of those bikes you list above are high quality.

As you liked riding the Serial 1 Rush/CTY I wonder is there a Harley dealer near you that could order one in and service it?
No harley dealer. And their internet order policies are a joke. So not doing that.

Have you ruled out the Serial 1 bike based on your dislike of the pedaling experience? All 4 of those bikes you list above are high quality.
Nope. Just can’t get it within acceptable risk to me. If my bike store were a dealer, I would have ridden the one I tried home if I could. I may not have been able to because of money. I have to wait for refunds on my currents if there isn’t a good enough loan option. That rules out nearly all bike stores until then. I used my own money on the currents, not a financing deal.

Honestly, the only bike I could buy today, that I am aware of, if I weren’t actively blocked from doing so, is the vado. If specialized addressed the problem they created with the financing company and/or it just started working, I would likely still order today.

Mulling this whole situation over, a thought occurred to me. In that situation where you were admittedly pushing a highly loaded Current while trying to make a hill, there is no way on God's green earth you would know HOW HARD without a legible watt meter able to read the load on the motor in real time.

For that reason, my idea would be to eliminate any bikes on your "potential" list that did not have a watt meter built into the display. Seems to me, a bike that isn't equipped with a watt meter is like buying a car with no oil pressure or temp gauges, or even idiot lights for that matter.

What the hell are these bike manf's thinking?

Mulling this whole situation over, a thought occurred to me. In that situation where you were admittedly pushing a highly loaded Current while trying to make a hill, there is no way on God's green earth you would know HOW HARD without a legible watt meter able to read the load on the motor in real time.

For that reason, my idea would be to eliminate any bikes on your "potential" list that did not have a watt meter built into the display. Seems to me, a bike that isn't equipped with a watt meter is like buying a car with no oil pressure or temp gauges, or even idiot lights for that matter.

What the hell are these bike manf's thinking?
Completely agree. It’s yet another reason I haven’t simply abandoned specialized. As far as I can tell, they have the most complete read out system on the market. By quite a margin. And the system guides you to proper cadence. Etc. It’s genuinely what I consider to be the best bike for me. LBS support, best control system on the market and a strong reputation for quality products (not so much the company), and usually, spectacular financing.

I would think the bosch system has such readouts, but I have not looked into it. Not sure if evelo or gazelle have such abilities. Will look into it. Gazelle is bosch, so I would think it does. Gonna check.

The Bafang displays aren't bad (Evelo Atlas).

AND they have a throttle 😁

You own that bike? Do I remember correctly?
New bike (the Atlas) is arriving Wednesday, but I've had it's big (WAY more powerful) brother, a Bafang Ultra powered bike, for a couple of years now.

New bike (the Atlas) is arriving Wednesday, but I've had it's big (WAY more powerful) brother, a Bafang Ultra powered bike, for a couple of years now.
Definitely report back. The atlas and gazelle are about it.

Guys, I am taking a different perspective. I am thinking of buying a "beater" to learn bike maintenance and build/run myself. *however*, I want to start with something fully functional and relatively inexpensive. Based on that, and the "best ebikes" list on this site. I need something with gears (not the single speed options) or radmission 1 might have been it.
Any other brands I should be considering? Where can I get a "learning" electric bike that can still get me around on these hills?

A big fan of Rad's when it comes to first bikes. They have an awesome reputation that transfers directly to the highest resale value of any.

Spoiled and picky though, so-
Not a fan of 20" wheels for any reason

and unless you're spending a lot of time riding fresh powder snow or beach sand,

Not a fan of fatties (like the Rover) either. These are huge bikes. They feel huge when you're riding them, and handling follows right along that line with a big heavy feel as well. Worse, unless you have them inflated to the point they're hard as a rock, pedal effort/rolling resistance is VERY noticable....

My vote would be for the City. It's a sturdy bike with little to be afraid of. Absolute worst case, you own it long enough where you can't return it, and assuming it's in good shape it will sell quickly for nearly what you paid for it due to it's popularity. Realizing full well that saying that put me way out on a limb, so please do some due dilligence on your own first....

A big fan of Rad's when it comes to first bikes. They have an awesome reputation that transfers directly to the highest resale value of any.

Spoiled and picky though, so-
Not a fan of 20" wheels for any reason

and unless you're spending a lot of time riding fresh powder snow or beach sand,

Not a fan of fatties (like the Rover) either. These are huge bikes. They feel huge when you're riding them, and handling follows right along that line with a big heavy feel as well. Worse, unless you have them inflated to the point they're hard as a rock, pedal effort/rolling resistance is VERY noticable....

My vote would be for the City. It's a sturdy bike with little to be afraid of. Absolute worst case, you own it long enough where you can't return it, and assuming it's in good shape it will sell quickly for nearly what you paid for it due to it's popularity. Realizing full well that saying that put me way out on a limb, so please do some due dilligence on your own first....
Any experience with REI co-op bikes? (on sale now, and relatively easily obtainable).

None, though my understanding is they have pretty good local support if you have a local store. Post a link to the one that interests you. Should be plenty of feedback available....

None, though my understanding is they have pretty good local support if you have a local store. Post a link to the one that interests you. Should be plenty of feedback available....
I do have a "local" rei store. But it still presents the "how do I get the bike there if I need to" issue.
These are all hub drive I think? Not sure there are comparable mid drive in the price point. Internet direct orders *are* on the table. But, for example, the rei pricing is dangerously close to a priority current for the mid drive. IN that case, I would just keep a current as a "beater". If I must get hub drive, then an REI e1.1 seems to make sense. They make a "city" and "cargo" version of this:

Co-op Cycles CTY e1.1 Electric Bike

A bit less than the rad city bikes (not sure of the differences between 3 and 4 besides the frame). Gonna compare them with the REI.

I do have a "local" rei store. But it still presents the "how do I get the bike there if I need to" issue.
These are all hub drive I think? Not sure there are comparable mid drive in the price point. Internet direct orders *are* on the table. But, for example, the rei pricing is dangerously close to a priority current for the mid drive. IN that case, I would just keep a current as a "beater". If I must get hub drive, then an REI e1.1 seems to make sense. They make a "city" and "cargo" version of this:

Co-op Cycles CTY e1.1 Electric Bike

A bit less than the rad city bikes (not sure of the differences between 3 and 4 besides the frame). Gonna compare them with the REI.
The REI Member sale price is good for an ebike available in 3 sizes with decent tires, a front light that runs off the battery, and hydraulic disk brakes which should require less maintenance than manuals. According to the REI Q&A for the model it uses a 250w 36v Bafang G020 hub motor which offers modest power (45Nm) so you will be relying on the bicycle gearing to help you pedal up hills, it comes with an Altus derailleur, 42t chainring, and 14-34t cassette which ought to provide enough gear range to help just you ride up hills, but I would not recommend using it to tow your weehoo up steep hills.

Last edited:
Yes, RAD City 5 has the newer, much more desirable geared hub setup. I wouldn't want any of the older generation City bikes because that direct drive motor just isn't going to cut it when it comes to much of a hill. They stopped using those for a GOOD reason IMHO.

Back