e-bike rollercoaster. What's next?

Yes, RAD City 5 has the newer, much more desirable geared hub setup. I wouldn't want any of the older generation City bikes because that direct drive motor just isn't going to cut it when it comes to much of a hill. They stopped using those for a GOOD reason IMHO.
So, basically, 2k for rad or 2k(ish) for REI to get the mid drive. UGh. Keeping a current is probably smarter.

Yes, RAD City 5 has the newer, much more desirable geared hub setup. I wouldn't want any of the older generation City bikes because that direct drive motor just isn't going to cut it when it comes to much of a hill. They stopped using those for a GOOD reason IMHO.
Oh, wait, no, the 5 isn't mid-drive. just a better hub drive? ugh.

So, basically, 2k for rad or 2k(ish) for REI to get the mid drive. UGh. Keeping a current is probably smarter.
The Rad won't give you the climbing power a mid drive will give you, but when (if?) it comes time to sell the mid drive, it may not be as easy to sell.

A matter of priorities..... but I'd be tempted to go mid drive.....

A link to this mid drive you're considering?

A link to this mid drive you're considering?

In other news: Klarna has contacted me and may actually be working to resolve the issues on their end. Specialized is still fundamentally useless. But if Klarna fixes it, and specialized as an acceptable bike in stock, I am going to order it.

I don't know a thing about the Shimano motor, but if it were not for that, between the e2.2 and the RAD, it looks like you have a pretty solid back up plan. The REI doesn't look bad at all.

I don't know a thing about the Shimano motor, but if it were not for that, between the e2.2 and the RAD, it looks like you have a pretty solid back up plan. The REI doesn't look bad at all.
I have fewer concern about the shimano motor than some others I have read about. I haven’t done full research on it. This bike is ironically the one that caused the avalanche into belt drive and upping budget to the point of specialized.

It would be kind of funny if that is what I end up with 3+ months later.

You might consider looking on the Used marketplace as well, eg this 2021 Yamaha Cross Core is a reasonable price even with the $200 shipping. Other used sites include theproscloset although they charge more because they check and service the bikes before they ship from their warehouse.

You might consider looking on the Used marketplace as well, eg this 2021 Yamaha Cross Core is a reasonable price even with the $200 shipping. Other used sites include theproscloset although they charge more because they check and service the bikes before they ship from their warehouse.
I have mixed feelings about used. I feel like I don’t have the experience to know if I should buy something.

It’s a valid option. Might be a step to far in the DIY path for me currently. At least with new, the general expectation would be that everything comes working.

Keep it as plan c for now.

Specialized is completely incompetent. So, they didn't refund the order properly. And now it's taking an IT ticket with the e-commerce team to get my full refund back to Klarna, and then back to me......

Specialized is completely incompetent. So, they didn't refund the order properly. And now it's taking an IT ticket with the e-commerce team to get my full refund back to Klarna, and then back to me......
That sucks, I was also thinking about using Klarna or affirm for my ebike. I ended up applying for a new 15 month 0 percent APR credit card instead. I also got 200 dollar cash back.

But you should get your money back eventually, more time to look at Bikes I guess.

@AHicks any initial impressions of the Atlas yet? (Also, can we mention people like that?)
Initial impression is good for sure! I was really surprised the M600, with it's well publicized loud noise level, is quiet. Something has changed and I have no clue what it was. Noise level is a complete non event. I don't want to get into much beyond that. I prefer to get some seat time before saying an awful lot. I will say it's looking good....

Back