E bike legality question.

I just can't agree with that "I need a throttle to get home in case my chain breaks". How many broken chains have you had? I've had zero. Not sure the conservation officer would agree with that as a legal interpretation.

I need a throttle because that is what I want. How's that?

I just can't agree with that "I need a throttle to get home in case my chain breaks". How many broken chains have you had? I've had zero. Not sure the conservation officer would agree with that as a legal interpretation.

If you do break a chain it is pretty easy to pull out the broken links and replace them with a quick links. Worst case you won't be able to use the lowest gears but you should have no problem getting home.

I'd be lost without mine!

Re: the e-moped, I think there's some confusion here. Or maybe it's just me. I was speaking about my Rad City, which looks nothing like the pic ?
not sure how topic got changed to rad city, but rad city looks like a regular class 1 to me - ok, except I don't like throttle bikes. I thought this thread is about the "legality" and "look" of the hyper scrambler.

You could watch the video in which Tora Harris does exactly that. I couldn't do it, but it can be done.
I watched the video and I didn't see Tora pedaling 30~40 miles. Looked to me he was throttling around china traffic, e-zooming around moving obstacles for about 11 miles.

I've had a a few chain breaks in 37 years of cycling on nicer bikes. Having a multi-tool and knowing how to use it is key as well as knowing how to use a master-link if your drivetrain has one. I've even put together broken chain by smashing them back together with two rocks. Some of my riding buddies also carry spare master-links, I don't. But chain break is more common than you'd imagine. Just be ready for it :)

Last edited:
Getting a missing link and the tool to install it costs let than $20 and is easy to carry along with you, I always carry them along with a spare inner tube and a gas canister inflator.

KMC Missing Link / tire changing tool on ebay for less than $15
s-l1600.jpg

not sure how topic got changed to rad city, but rad city looks like a regular class 1 to me - ok, except I don't like throttle bikes. I thought this thread is about the "legality" and "look" of the hyper scrambler.

I watched the video and I didn't see Tora pedaling 30~40 miles. Looked to me he was throttling around china traffic, e-zooming around moving obstacles for about 11 miles.

Out of the box Juiced bikes come programmed for class 2 operation. There are various settings in the advanced menus where you can change it to class 3 or even completely unrestricted. Tora's China rides are usually in completely unrestricted mode. Juiced calls it Off-Road mode because it is supposed to be used on private property only. My Ripcurrent-S came in class 2 mode and I've seen zero reason to change it because I'm totally happy cruising at 16-18 mph and having the battery last a lot longer on a charge.

In my case I have chronic tendinitis problems and having a throttle has saved me when I've had flare ups during rides. When it does flare up pedaling gets extremely painful. I can ride and safely know that if my tendinitis acts up the bike will get me either home or back to my car. In my case it has proven to be a really useful safety net.

My bad. I read 30-40 mph and that's not what you said. There's a test ride video where he is measured with a laser gun at 36 mph IIRC -- that's the one I was thinking about. But not what you meant.

In California, the bike in the original post is not classified as an ebike nor even a motorized bicycle (moped). I think motorized bicycles are limited to 30mph top speeds.

I assume it would then fall into the motor-driven cycle category. These are basically motorcycles that require registration, insurance, and a motorcycle license. The big hit here is if you get written up for operating a motor vehicle without insurance. I hear that’s a hefty fine. Of course, like a motorcycle, you can’t do bike lanes or paths.

If it’s at all bicycle looking, law enforcement won’t likely care unless something happens to make them care, assumming you’re operating it like a bicycle. If you pedal and go slow, you’d probably be fine. I wouldn’t do it, but many others would.

Back