e-bike insurance in Vancouver, BC, Canada?

Then it appears you have decided to endure and put up with your "condo problems".

If you can't get insurance for an ebike that is stolen from a condo locker, you may want to budget yourself for a regular replacement of ebikes when the theft occurs.
I believe, but am not certain, that I can get insurance for an e-bike that might be stolen from a condo locker. You raised a good point. I will have to look into this.

By the way, houses have their problems, too! The wrong neighbours move in next door. You have asthma, but a few doors down, a neighbour burns wood in their 1930s fireplace, which invades your house via the fresh air intake for the furnace. The dog next door barks. It's time for a new roof. Your house gets broken into while you're out and all your favourite things are stolen. Sure, they are covered by your household insurance, but most are antiques and gifts, so you end with a lot of research to do. Your house gets broken into and you or your wife or your children or all of you are murdered. This usually does not occur in a condo building!

Last edited:
Condos suck. But I have a gorgeous view, and I'm only 3 blocks from a beautiful beach. We have an indoor pool, an outdoor pool, a sauna, a whirlpool, an exercise room, a party and movie room, and it was built in the 1960s and considered THE luxury condo building at that time. Having said that, I prefer swimming in the ocean. Condo insurance is different from household insurance. NOT THE SAME. I've had both, by the way.
I live in Burnaby and sometimes my group rides out to Horseshoe Bay. We ride along the bike route after we cross the Lions Gate Bridge and along Bellevue Avenue I've always noticed the apartments along there that look straight out of a movie from the 50s and 60s. Is it one of those buildings you're referring to? The buildings look cool and have been well maintained.

I live in Burnaby and sometimes my group rides out to Horseshoe Bay. We ride along the bike route after we cross the Lions Gate Bridge and along Bellevue Avenue I've always noticed the apartments along there that look straight out of a movie from the 50s and 60s. Is it one of those buildings you're referring to? The buildings look cool and have been well maintained.
I have been in all of the older 1950s and early 1960s buildings along Bellevue. My paper route included those buildings when I was a kid in West Van. Our family home was between the ocean and Marine Drive just west of Dundarave Village. Several of those buildings are rental buildings, with relatively inexpensive rents. Yes, they are very well maintained.

My condo building is two blocks north of Marine Drive in Ambleside.

I have cycled all over West Vancouver since I was a teenager. I know all its nooks and crannies, especially in the oceanside part of it. It's a beautiful and natural environment to grow up in! That's a nice ride. I once rode from Dundarave to Horseshoe Bay along Marine Drive. It scared the bejesus out of me! I took a taxi home and was ridiculed by family and friends. That bit around Fisherman's Cove! YIKES. I was only 17.

By the way, cool about your group rides!!!

Last edited:
What about owning a folding electric bike? Would you be allowed to carry a folding bike into your unit?
The only issue is, folding bikes are very heavy due to the reinforcements needed. The Lectric XP is 80+Lbs once you have added even a couple of accessories. The Riese and Muller is 55lbs and that’s a premium bike. My 1100 Core5 is 48lbs but that’s because it doesn’t fold.

I have been in all of the older 1950s and early 1960s buildings along Bellevue. My paper route included those buildings when I was a kid in West Van. Our family home was between the ocean and Marine Drive just west of Dundarave Village. My condo building is two blocks north of Marine Drive in Ambleside. I have cycled all over West Vancouver since I was a teenager. I know all its nooks and crannies, especially in the oceanside part of it. It's a beautiful and natural environment to grow up in! That's a nice ride. I once rode from Dundarave to Horseshoe Bay along Marine Drive. It scared the bejesus out of me! I took a taxi home and was ridiculed by family and friends. That bit around Fisherman's Cove! YIKES. I was only 17.

The only issue is, folding bikes are very heavy due to the reinforcements needed. The Lectric XP is 80+Lbs once you have added even a couple of accessories. The Riese and Muller is 55lbs and that’s a premium bike. My 1100 Core5 is 48lbs but that’s because it doesn’t fold.
Thank you for explaining, EpicTwiglet. I noticed that. I looked at some folding bikes online and was shocked by how heavy they are. I doubt I could lift one of the heavier ones into my car, and maybe not even the 48-pound ones either! They are as heavy as non-folding e-bikes.

I grew up living in Vancouver. I remember when refurbished Gastown first opened. Hastings Street was free of riff-raff and homeless drug addicts.
It was a great place to visit.

Back