Dropped chain on Trek Verve+

rochrunner

Region
USA
City
Rochester Hills MI
My wife dropped the chain to the inside on her Trek Verve+ for no apparent reason and that sucker is really jammed in there. It was fortunate that she was riding alone since I was at home and could drive right out with the rack on the car to bring the bike home (I was unable to get it back on by the side of the trail). I've dropped a few chains myself on bike with 2 or 3 chainrings but this is the first time I've seen it on a 1x drivetrain.

Anyone here had this issue or know what could cause it? Fortunately this happened -- this time -- at a very convenient time & location. I know that on my road bikes I installed gadgets called "chain catchers" that at least prevented a dropped chain from jamming between the crank and frame; anyone heard of something like this for our e-bikes?

My wife dropped the chain to the inside on her Trek Verve+ for no apparent reason and that sucker is really jammed in there. It was fortunate that she was riding alone since I was at home and could drive right out with the rack on the car to bring the bike home (I was unable to get it back on by the side of the trail). I've dropped a few chains myself on bike with 2 or 3 chainrings but this is the first time I've seen it on a 1x drivetrain.

Anyone here had this issue or know what could cause it? Fortunately this happened -- this time -- at a very convenient time & location. I know that on my road bikes I installed gadgets called "chain catchers" that at least prevented a dropped chain from jamming between the crank and frame; anyone heard of something like this for our e-bikes?
No I haven't heard of a chain catcher. But since I have heard of OTB I certainly would like to. Following.

I am told back peddling can do that. It happened to me on a very steep hill. First time up, jammed the chain dropping it frame side of the cassette. Cleared it and tried again. then lost it inside the chain ring (1x VADO SL). 3d time was a charm. Then I adjusted the high screw on the cassette which was too far over, and all well since. But all very embarrassing. So don't tell anyone.

Really ? Less than a pair of gloves ?
Actually, I only searched and found the link. I know nothing about the product. DON'T BLAME ME! (g)

Years ago, I got a round plate and fit between the crank on frame on my Trek Madone Triple where I kept dropping the chain again the carbon fiber body. Some mt bike shop in Calif fabricated two different sizes. I don't think they are in business anymore.

Actually, I only searched and found the link. I know nothing about the product. DON'T BLAME ME! (g)

Years ago, I got a round plate and fit between the crank on frame on my Trek Madone Triple where I kept dropping the chain again the carbon fiber body. Some mt bike shop in Calif fabricated two different sizes. I don't think they are in business anymore.
And it worked, apparently. Ain't technology grand ? 😀

Regarding pedaling backwards, you should be able to do this if you have a good chain. I've found, that after a chain stretches, a backwards stroke can cause the chain to come off.

@kahn I had one of those "dog fang" catchers on an old road bike. Most others are designed to mount to the front derailleur mount which of course these bike do not have. Likewise, adjusting the limit screws only affects the rear cassette on a 1x drivetrain. Thanks for the links.

@BioWheel Pedaling backwards is the likely culprit. She was just starting out and may have back pedaled to position the pedals, although that would have been only a partial revolution and I don't think there are enough miles on the bike for the chain to have stretched significantly. I'll let the shop look at it since we don't want any lingering questions about reliability -- not fun for a woman riding alone to be stranded (although she never rides alone if I'm out of town or otherwise out of reach).

@kahn I had one of those "dog fang" catchers on an old road bike. Most others are designed to mount to the front derailleur mount which of course these bike do not have. Likewise, adjusting the limit screws only affects the rear cassette on a 1x drivetrain. Thanks for the links.

@BioWheel Pedaling backwards is the likely culprit. She was just starting out and may have back pedaled to position the pedals, although that would have been only a partial revolution and I don't think there are enough miles on the bike for the chain to have stretched significantly. I'll let the shop look at it since we don't want any lingering questions about reliability -- not fun for a woman riding alone to be stranded (although she never rides alone if I'm out of town or otherwise out of reach).
Yes, in that picture, I noticed the attachment was to the front derailleur (well, named when the chain jumps the track!!!) clamp. I guess there are clamps out there to add stuff all over the bike and probably something can be jerryrigged.

Good luck getting it solved reasonably. I hate when I de-chain. And mine did it on a steep hill about two weeks ago. Jammed between the gear and the wider portion of the motor housing. Took concerted tugging to free it and try not kinking the chain.

Yes, in that picture, I noticed the attachment was to the front derailleur (well, named when the chain jumps the track!!!) clamp. I guess there are clamps out there to add stuff all over the bike and probably something can be jerryrigged.

Good luck getting it solved reasonably. I hate when I de-chain. And mine did it on a steep hill about two weeks ago. Jammed between the gear and the wider portion of the motor housing. Took concerted tugging to free it and try not kinking the chain.
One of the reasons why I always have a pair of latex gloves in my toolkit; chain crud is the worst!

One of the reasons why I always have a pair of latex gloves in my toolkit; chain crud is the worst!
It makes my black bike shorts very practical as a "rag"!

I had them but it was "get that damn thing fixed fast as folks are waiting on you!" Also, I thought it was going to be an easy "just lift the chain back to the gear" - so only two fingers!!!

Trek published a fix for the chain suck problem. I had been carrying a spring hook tool that worked great for re-installing the chain until the fix came out. Trek will order and install the fix for free. Also, my dealer told me that 10 out of 10 bikes they have installed the fix on the nut holding the crank was loose. They felt the problem could also be resolved with some thread lock and tightening the nut.

Picked up the bike from the LBS this morning, and this is the part from Trek that they installed (no charge):
2021-09-24 10.49.22.jpg

Look like it should do the trick.

More info here:

I have a Verve+3 and lost my chain off the front a week ago. I was playing around with the range numbers and had just kicked up on turbo and did a hard up shift. It took a couple minutes but got it back on. One problem with a chain guard it’s a little hard to get in there and get the chain in.

Back