Drop outs are dead would a torque arm help?

inoob

so my drop outs are dead.. everytime I try to sit on the bike and throttle it or peddle forward.. the ebike connection would come unloose due to the drop outs not securely holding the axel... frame seems to be fine so I'm wondering if a torque arm would fix it or am I screwed.

amego infinite plus ebike very similar to ncm moscow

Last edited:
so my drop outs are dead.. everytime I try to sit on the bike and throttle it or peddle forward.. the ebike connection would come unloose due to the drop outs not securely holding the axel... frame seems to be fine so I'm wondering if a torque arm would fix it or am I screwed.

amego infinite plus ebike very similar to ncm moscow
You aren't screwed. Worse case this Toronto shop can replace the dropouts.

Generally if you spread the dropouts like you describe the frame is dead. The only solution is to braze in new ones and the cost of having a pro do that is often enough to call it off. The vast majority of ebike frames are not at the quality level of a proper analog bike that can be worked on like that and have it make sense.

Besides all that, a torque arm ain't gonna cut it unless you do your own machine work and effectively make something so substantial it can replace a dropout.

This is why I swear by torque arms. And not just one, but two. Once this happens you kiss your frame goodbye. It only had to happen to me once (I put the torque arms on but after a long build day I forgot to tighten them and that was the end of my front fork on my first 2wd build.

Couldn't you do the repair yourself once you learn how to tig weld?
I do fantasize about finding me a woman who can tig weld. I'm not having any luck. I guess all the good welding women are taken.

The best ones were taken by 1983,..

u7sqMr.gif

flashdance-water.gif

Screenshot_20240605-162554_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
i fixed the problem by getting someone to install 2 torque arms but now a new problem arises... the rear axle seems to be worn out and turns within it.. does ncm / amego sell replacement rear axles? if not im trashing this bike.

,.. does ncm / amego sell replacement rear axles? if not im trashing this bike.

You'd probably need to buy at least the motor core and swap it out.
The whole wheel isn't much more money.

You might be better off starting over with a new e-bike?

i bought these torque arms from amazon and it's working perfectly o_O 👍

So is your axle still spinning?
Did the torque arms stop the axle from rotating?

If the axle can still rotate, then the motor cable coming out of the hollow axle will start twisting until it eventually breaks off.

So is your axle still spinning?
Did the torque arms stop the axle from rotating?

If the axle can still rotate, then the motor cable coming out of the hollow axle will start twisting until it eventually breaks off.
Axle stopped spinning with these torque arms clamped to it and the motor cable is on its last few strands which can be reached.. the cables were almost impossible to reach and had to be soldered from it twisting previously due to axle rotation and is likely %90 attached (the best we could do after 3 houds of trying to solder it) as it's makes a loud vroom noise during the initial throttle only if I make a complete stop and start up again (which is not normal and I know it's because of the motor cable not being fully attached). Have to turn the power on and off a few times for the motor to fully work each time I want to ride it.

so far so good regardless as I need it to last 2 weeks as I do food delivery to save enough for a new ebike. *praying*

if the wires weren't so messed up and i knew sooner.. these torque arms would have saved it from twisting the axle and messing up the motor cable.

Last edited:
Well,.. being as you got the axle to stop rotating, you could just buy a new motor for your current e-bike.

You could install install the torque arms on the new motor, then you don't have to replace the entire wheel, or restore the new motor into you old rim and tire.

That would be the easiest and cheapest thing to do.

Screenshot_20240615-110428_DuckDuckGo.jpg

You would remove the 6 bolts holding the motor together, pull the axle and guts out, then install it in your old motor.

All the wires and connectors would be on the new motor core.

Well,.. being as you got the axle to stop rotating, you could just buy a new motor for your current e-bike.

You could install install the torque arms on the new motor, then you don't have to replace the entire wheel, or restore the new motor into you old rim and tire.

That would be the easiest and cheapest thing to do.

View attachment 177550

You would remove the 6 bolts holding the motor together, pull the axle and guts out, then install it in your old motor.

All the wires and connectors would be on the new motor core.
Yea thanks for the suggestion and i was actually looking up that too and thought about it and i just dont trust this bike. I'd rather get one a used one with less mileage on the bike and frame and keep this one as a last resort back up for when I take the other for repairs.

This fix is not a fix, by any means. Not going to survive for long and of course its already not working right as noted.

The mission statement on my web site reads

DIY does not have to mean half-assed

And this is definitely half-assed. Not a kind thing to say but really... this is a Darwin award that hasn't been issued quite yet.

Back