Downhill e-bike first build! advice needed pls :)

Thanks for the link, it´s always a pleasure to see other ways of building the same thing :)

Since I ordered my cells with nickel strips I´m sure it wont be hard to quickly solder them toguether... plus i´ll spray butane to cool off the poles :).

Also, I bought a simple 14S 58,8v charger off ebay, do you know how I can lower the output voltage so I can undercharge my pack by a few volts?
The only thing that comes to mind is using a Diode (like the 1N4007) in series with the output. Each diode drops 1,2 Volts if I remember correctly.
Some chargers have adjustable settings, but the cheap sealed case 2A I’ve never taken apart. By the way, I hope we stick to industry standard descriptions. S is for cell number in Series.

Some chargers have adjustable settings, but the cheap sealed case 2A I’ve never taken apart. By the way, I hope we stick to industry standard descriptions. S is for cell number in Series.

This charger outputs 58,8V exatly. I open it up and there is no pot inside so I´ll have to experimente using diodes. Yeah I dont know why I wrote 14S in this case :p

My kit just came in, It was one of the cheapest ones out there, but I soon noticed there are no buttons to control the pedal assist level…... What can I expect from this one? How will it behave?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UK-Electri...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

You've got one button, looks like. Maybe long push turns PA on and short push turns it off. Or the only turn off is the brakes. Vendors leave out stuff to save money. My cheap kit has no display or PAS at all, just a throttle. I've another motor kit that has all the bells & whistles, but only works 13 miles before shutting off and blanking out. so that extra $150 I spent for the LCD display & up down button unit was a total waste. Maybe the LCD display and controller will work with the motor of the cheap kit. the hall sensor pinout is the same.

You've got one button, looks like. Maybe long push turns PA on and short push turns it off. Or the only turn off is the brakes. Vendors leave out stuff to save money. My cheap kit has no display or PAS at all, just a throttle. I've another motor kit that has all the bells & whistles, but only works 13 miles before shutting off and blanking out. so that extra $150 I spent for the LCD display & up down button unit was a total waste. Maybe the LCD display and controller will work with the motor of the cheap kit. the hall sensor pinout is the same.

Yeah I suspected this was a low end one. I didnd´t see the need for a LCD (aside from the PA), I can just buy a speedometer and shunt mod the controller to see the power consumption if I want.

Sorry what you mean by long and short push turns?

You think I could buy the LCD seperatly to have the PA levels? I dont know if these 1000W48v controllers are universal in that matter….. I was also wondering if I could change the throttel? the one that came with the kit is ugly as hell xd

The lower end kits can implement pedal assist in different ways .. mostly poorly. The worst ones just use the pedal sensor signal like an on/off switch and take you to full motor speed. In that case, it's better to ride w/o pedal assist and feather in the throttle when assist is needed. Not a bad way to ebike. If you're disciplined, you get exercise.

You can change a generic three wire throttle easily, but your throttle probably has a start button and LED display that makes it more complicated.

You can change the controller but research what you buy. I recently bough a kit with a 5 level PAS and LCD display, but the PAS worked as on on/off switch. Max speed in all 5 levels. Useless. I had to change controller/LCD.

The lower end kits can implement pedal assist in different ways .. mostly poorly. The worst ones just use the pedal sensor signal like an on/off switch and take you to full motor speed. In that case, it's better to ride w/o pedal assist and feather in the throttle when assist is needed.

You can change a generic three wire throttle easily, but your throttle probably has a start button and LED display that makes it more complicated.

You can change the controller but research what you buy. I recently bough a kit with a 5 level PAS and LCD display, but the PAS worked as on on/off switch. Max speed in all 5 levels. Useless. I had to change controller/LCD.

In the meantime, riding with the pedal sensor unconnected and using the throttle to help out when needed is not a bad way to ride an ebike, If you're disciplined, you get exercise.

Thats what I was thinking… It would either give a little push or act as a full power switch… what a bummer. Looks like I wont be able to throttel with no hands then :( Anyway I´ll test it and report back.

Yeah basically this throttel Is my LCD panel xd

thanks for the help ^^

Back