Do you regret buying (or not buying) Step-thru vs. Step-over frame?

RonFromOregon

Region
USA
I'm close to pulling the trigger to buy two torque-sensor ebikes (either Aventon Level.2 or Ride1Up LMT'D, but that doesn't really matter for this question). I'm hesitant to buy step-thru frames because they don't look like "normal" bikes to me, and there are fewer options for transporting on a hitch-receiver bike rack.

Does anybody out there regret NOT buying a step-thru frame? Thanks!

I still ride my analog diamond frame.

The first time I tested a diamond frame ebike, the weight tipping it to the side really caught me by surprise. I'm not a frail old guy, but bought the step through model. Especially appreciated after a longer ride and feeling a bit worn out.

My scratch build and 2 of seven kitted bikes ate strp yhrough cramk forward frames. Perfect for me and dozens of our kit customers. YMMV See @PedalUma and his torque only incredibly stealth builds. Sustainable and repairable with lots of open source options.

I'm close to pulling the trigger to buy two torque-sensor ebikes (either Aventon Level.2 or Ride1Up LMT'D, but that doesn't really matter for this question). I'm hesitant to buy step-thru frames because they don't look like "normal" bikes to me, and there are fewer options for transporting on a hitch-receiver bike rack.

I'm 71 and still good to go on the diamond types. Wife bought her last one because she wanted to try a step over - and she loves it....

the only place I want a step through is my tandem. getting your let up and over the bar is a pain. you cant swing it over.

I bought 2 Espin Sports and I regret not getting at least 1 Flow (Step thru) Step thrus are nice for us vertically challenged. If you are over 5'10" I would say no need for ST...

Reactions: BET
I (male) bought my first step-through analog bike about 3 years ago, and I love it! I would've gladly gotten the step-through version of my ebike, but they didn't have anything that would fit me.

I have two Aventon Level Step-Thrus. I really like them. I also have two non-step-thru bikes. I prefer the step thru configuration, it is definitely safer on the emergency dismount, and is easier to ride for my occasional guest.

Step thru for Me, the worst part on the 'high bar" bikes is when I try to dismount, my next two builds will be step thru another thing I found out was that rear suspension is not a bad thing on my No.1 bike, No.2 is a fattie and its solid it jars the daylights out of Me, there are going to be some suspension mods on my next builds

I spent all my life riding standard bikes, I still ride my Trek 820 that's 30+ years old before that it was a variety of bikes growing up. I got my RR2 which is a step through and I don't find it any different riding than any other bike. It balances well, I don't kill my back bending over and even though it's heavy, I find it very easy to maneuver.

I wanted the step through because I knew I would be putting a large basket on the back and I also knew I'd never be able to swing my leg over it. Don't be scared of a step through because it doesn't look traditional, they ride just the same, IMO.

We have one of each. I prefer the high bar for myself but enjoy the ease of the step through. We are full time RV and I usually use her step through to have a basket attached so I use hers to take our trash to the dumpster, or to give the puppies a ride. On the high bar model (mine) I am not able to ride the puppies as I tend to kick them in the head when mounting my bike. The puppies said they prefer a ride on the step through.

Attachments

• 7E7A4C64-0FBD-47D3-B621-AE52B8D418FC.jpeg
    7E7A4C64-0FBD-47D3-B621-AE52B8D418FC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 364
  • 2F3F274E-C84E-411A-9EF4-4A4E27F76A8F.jpeg
    2F3F274E-C84E-411A-9EF4-4A4E27F76A8F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 361
I prefer a step-thru but I can do either one. My analog bike is a mens diamond style frame and I ride it on a regular basis. I bought a E-Lux highstep instead of a step-thru and hated it though. I couldn't toss my leg over the back because I had a trunk on the back. It's the same reason I pick flat floor motor scooters as my main transportation. I'm not as flexible as I used to be.

Back in 2020, I ordered the himiway step through. When it seemed like I could get the full frame faster after waiting 2 month's I asked to switch. I do not regret the bike I got (full frame), but I did order a Surface604 Werk that is a low step. Different bikes, but I prefer the low step over the full frame.

We have one of each. I prefer the high bar for myself but enjoy the ease of the step through. We are full time RV and I usually use her step through to have a basket attached so I use hers to take our trash to the dumpster, or to give the puppies a ride. On the high bar model (mine) I am not able to ride the puppies as I tend to kick them in the head when mounting my bike. The puppies said they prefer a ride on the step through.
How far you goin with that box strapped to your rack?

Looks are important, but so is ease of use. And I think the latter would eventually win you over. I have no regrets whatsoever regarding my true step-through.

20221106_201556.jpg

Don't miss swinging a leg over one bit. The frame feels plenty rigid enough for road and light off-road use. And it works well with my Thule EasyFold XT hitch rack.

I do not regret buying a step-thru. I am 62 and felt that at some time in the future I may not be able to swing my leg over the seat. Also, I plan on getting a cargo "thing" of some sort which may further inhibit swinging of the leg over the seat. One thing to check is the step-thru or stand-over height. I tried one that was 23". It was actually easier in my case to swing my leg over the seat than to lift my leg high enough to step through. A quick check is this: The average kitchen chair seat is about 18" - 20". Put a broom handle across two chairs and try stepping over it. If it is too difficult to do, then you will not want a step-thru height in that range.

Regarding a rack: E-bikes are heavy and need to be supported underneath. I have this rack: https://hyperax.co/products/volt2. I will need to get crossbars like these to put between the seat post and handlebar stem. https://hyperax.co/products/ebadp. You will find many less expensive versions on eBay or Amazon.

I haven't tried the rack and crossbars yet, but when I do, I will drive around in my bumpy backyard a couple of times to make sure the bikes stay firmly secured in the rack.

I prefer a step thru
Nice ride! I find myself liking Bosch systems more and more. As I close down my shop and settle into riding my last builds we're looking for an eBike for Ms. The LBS here sells and services Trek/Bosch systems. I want her to have a shop to rely on. She can afford the expense and my crippled hands and back get relief from the demands of working on another bike. These days I have the LBS do ALL of the non-eBike-related repairs and replacements.

My only disappointment is that Trek/Bosch is the only game in town. No Gazelle or other Bosch users.

Are the brakes hydraulic rim brakes?

Back