DIY Ramp to get bike into back of SUV?

Gazzy

Region
USA
I normally ride off from home, but once in a while I'd like to haul my bike to a different location to ride. For reasons, I don't want to buy a rack. The bike weighs 50 some pounds, so it's liftable, but awkward. I'm concerned that brute-forcing it into the back I would end up damaging something. Has anyone figured out a good improvised ramp or something to get the bike into the back of an SUV?

I made this one from a 6' piece of 4" PVC pipe. I use it to roll my bike up into the bed of my pickup:

P1070256a.jpg
P1070258a.jpg
P1070260a.jpg

I split the pipe in half and bolted the pieces together. I cut a 4" tee in half and bolted it to the end for stability. The lag screws keep it from sliding around. The short half pipe on the other end hooks to the bumper. It's weatherproof, lightweight and plenty strong for my 70# bike.

I needed a 6' ramp for the high bed of my pickup but you may be able to use something shorter for your SUV.

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll get ideas from others as well.

I made this one from a 6' piece of 4" PVC pipe. I use it to roll my bike up into the bed of my pickup:

View attachment 151530 View attachment 151531 View attachment 151534

I split the pipe in half and bolted the pieces together. I cut a 4" tee in half and bolted it to the end for stability. The lag screws keep it from sliding around. The short half pipe on the other end hooks to the bumper. It's weatherproof, lightweight and plenty strong for my 70# bike.

I needed a 6' ramp for the high bed of my pickup but you may be able to use something shorter for your SUV.

Very creative! Amazing what you can do with PVC and a cordless drill! Love the double thickness aspect...

View attachment 151530 View attachment 151531 View attachment 151534

Impressive! Thanks for sharing. It's a bit above my handy-person pay grade, so still hoping for some other ideas.

Impressive! Thanks for sharing. It's a bit above my handy-person pay grade, so still hoping for some other ideas.
For a motorcycle I used to have a ramp mad out of (2) 2X4s and a 12" wide piece of 1/2" plywood. For ebike, I'd use 2X2 and 1/4" plywood. This is assuming you are transporting the bike upright; if not, never mind.

Back