DIY or Bike Shop?

how did you determine your discs were out of true?

It was a combo of loose spokes and damage during shipping. Rad Power Bikes has made a lot of improvement with the shipping boxes for my 2018 Radcity compared to my 2016 Rover.

I couldn't get the brakes set to my liking because the brakes disk would wobble too much between the pads. I had to set the pads far enough apart to keep them from rubbing. I did try (and it helped a little) to use an adjustable wrench on the disk and bend a touch back in place. It was easier for me to adjust the brakes once I upgraded to TRP Sypkes calipers.[/QUOTE]

thanks I may do that. I have the same issue on my '18 radcity. I re-posted to get more suggestions for brakes upgrade

It took me longer to open the box, remove all the protective wrap, snip all the zip-ties, lay out the parts, and clean up the mess compared to putting the parts on my Radcity. Extra stuff like double-checking nuts/bolts/screws/spokes, wiring harness connections, and charging the battery added additional time (only the spokes were loose).

Pretty much the same experience on the bulls, emotion, and stromer bikes i've purchased.

OK, all your comments have been very helpful and after watching the videos, I'll be attempting to put the bike together myself. As I stated earlier, I will be in Arizona in February and plan to test ride the Radrover. However, with Rad's BlackFriday/CyberMonday sale, I'm thinking about buying on Monday ($300 off each bike plus another $200 off if two bikes are purchased). I'm considering the Radrover for myself and a RadCity for my wife. She has not ridden her hybrid comfort bike for two years. She is skeptical and thinks it is very important to test ride a bike before purchase. Am I crazy if I buy these bikes without a test ride? Not only have I not ridden the Radrover, I've never ridden any kind of ebike.

Test ride is always preferable but I'm betting you'll be thrilled with the rads and wonder why you were worried

Pretty incredible deal. Absolute worst case, thinking that if you hate them both (not very likely), they're very popular bikes. I doubt you would loose much selling them. A lot of us have taken the leap of faith required under similar circumstances, and are now enjoying the bikes several times a week.

I love my 2018 RadRover, but I have seen some posts in the Rad Owners FB group from RadRover and RadMini buyers who regretted their purchase because they had difficulty mounting and dismounting the bike due to the height of the top tube. If they had the opportunity to test the bike beforehand they probably would have gone with a step-thru model. RAD has some new videos on YouTube showing how each bike stands up to various size riders, which is a great idea when your a Direct to Consumer company.

Regarding DIY or LBS, I assembled my RadRover on my own in under an hour without any difficulty. I did have my LBS inspect my work afterwards and he adjusted the brakes and replaced the rear shifter cable that had been damaged during shipping that I completely missed. RAD reimbursed me for the part and labor without any hesitation. The refund was on my credit card within a few days. I'm sold on RAD's customer service.

I love my 2018 RadRover, but I have seen some posts in the Rad Owners FB group from RadRover and RadMini buyers who regretted their purchase because they had difficulty mounting and dismounting the bike due to the height of the top tube. If they had the opportunity to test the bike beforehand they probably would have gone with a step-thru model. RAD has some new videos on YouTube showing how each bike stands up to various size riders, which is a great idea when your a Direct to Consumer company.

Regarding DIY or LBS, I assembled my RadRover on my own in under an hour without any difficulty. I did have my LBS inspect my work afterwards and he adjusted the brakes and replaced the rear shifter cable that had been damaged during shipping that I completely missed. RAD reimbursed me for the part and labor without any hesitation. The refund was on my credit card within a few days. I'm sold on RAD's customer service.

Good for you! I'm sure you'll enjoy the bikes.

Regarding DIY or LBS...I did have my LBS inspect my work afterwards and he adjusted the brakes and replaced the rear shifter cable that had been damaged during shipping that I completely missed.

That's a good suggestion, assemble it yourself then pay an LBS to do an inspection to check the hydraulics, disks, pads, gear shifter/cables, spokes, etc.

I'm going to take the advice of several members of this forum and do it myself

Wasn't really my point.........I understand how hard it is for a bike shop to survive but seems to me that they should provide ready to go bikes unless you prefer otherwise for some reason.

"All you have to do is add the coolant to the unit and put the door and shelves in and the refrigerator is ready to go".

$190 at that? If all a bike shop is going to do is load the box on to your truck you might as well buy online. I am willing to pay more local (and do) but I expect something for that extra money.

I ordered a pair of RadCitys this morning, and I am also "taking the plunge" and assembling the bike myself. Looking at the video, the only "tricky" part looks like installing pedals, and that doesn't look tricky at all.

I did a box bike a few years ago and there wasn't much to it.. Pedals are easy. One is reverse threaded is all

"You want us to assemble your new Chevy or will you take it as-is"?
I hear you, Pnop. Just to clarify - there is no problem with "assembling" this bike, but rather - tune up and possible big and small repairs and replacements. $190 for Velofix is toss a coin, can be substantial money for some, and all they do is tune-up and minor fixes like bent fork etc. When something is really wrong Velofix won't help (not at that price), you will need to contact the seller. Usual caveat of online purchase. RAD customers are bargain-hunters. Otherwise, they would not consider online factory-direct purchase at all.

Last edited:
I took advantage of the cyber Monday sale and bought a Radrover for myself and a Radcity for my wife. Put them together myself. You guys were right.... not much to it. I made a couple of correctable mistakes, but no big deal. Took a couple of short rides with both bikes. Then my wife says, " I'm not getting on that thing until a professional has checked it out". So, I took it to a local bikes (a shop I've never used before). They were great! I never got a hint of resentment for not buying from them. He adjusted the brakes, derailleur and checked out the bearings. He said everything else checked out and was complimentary of the bike. He charged me $40 per bike. I had him put sealer in the fat tires and puncture resistant tubes in the Radcity. I also bought a rear rack for my Radrover which was half the price Rad wanted for their rear rack. So, I'm feeling good, I got a good deal on two ebikes and did some business with a LBS (and will go back). Gonna be in the 40s this weekend....can't wait to bundle up and ride my Radrover!

@High Plains Rider

Congratulations on your new rides and on your DIY ability to put them together, and getting friendly with a local bike shop smart move,
that will go a long way if you ever need anything.
See we did mention it is easier than you think and in the process you have gained some experience.
Make sure you guys enjoy your new rides and post lots of pictures.

How about a DIY solution AND a Bike Shop, rather than either or ? The bike shop sells you the kit, lets you install it at the shop, provides access to specialty tools, awesome bike stand, custom fit wiring harnesses, and a friendly cup o' Joe, to help turn a weekend job (where you might curse and swear because you don't have the right tools), into a fun couple hours hanging out in the ultimate "tim-the-toolman" cave ?

Back