Disc brakes on rize Leisure sound like toilet flushing

Spatzi

Brand new bike. Tektro disc brakes. 20 km on it. Noise from back brake started. Even at walking speed on pas 1, it sounds like a toilet flushing whenever brakes are applied. Like water gurgling through the frame of the bike. People across the street turn to look. I don’t even need a bell anymore. Rize support has no clue what this noise is from. Front brake makes no noise. I also have rx pro, also brand new, also tektro disc brakes, and it makes zero noise when brakes are applied. I cannot find a single video on youtube with this ‘water gurgling through pipes’ noise. It‘s a new model: the rize toilet flusher. Buy yours today!

here is the sound file: https://sndup.net/2qzw

It sure does NOT sound like any toilet or water gurgling sounds through pipes that I've ever heard, but I found a very similar sound online. That also doesn't sound like any brake squeaking sound I've ever heard in the past. How fast is the bike moving when you are applying the brakes in that audio clip?

Whenever brakes make noise, first thing to do is to clean the disc with alcohol. If that doesn't work, remove the brake pads and wipe them down with alcohol as well. You can also give them a sanding with fine sandpaper if need be.

Whenever brakes make noise, first thing to do is to clean the disc with alcohol. If that doesn't work, remove the brake pads and wipe them down with alcohol as well. You can also give them a sanding with fine sandpaper if need be.
I’m not an expert, but that sounds like spokes to me, don’t know but it might be worth a check

It sounds like squeaky brakes to me. See his other thread - he posted a video with the sound. It matches up with the wheel rotation.

Last edited:
Sanding did not work. Cleaning did not work. Brake pads were replaced. Problem solved. Bike shop told me the pads were infected. After only 20 km riding on dry road? Could they have been this way when I assembled the bike? See photos for infected pads. The front brakes also started to make scuba noises, but not as bad as rear brakes. I had those replaced as well. Total cost so far for BRAND NEW bike: $100 on pad replacements, $30 on brake pad alignment and six trips to two different bike shops. Let‘s see if Rize will pay for this. I don‘t see why I should.

Attachments

• E6C051BA-6A81-4B20-9239-7B5328742BD7.jpeg
    E6C051BA-6A81-4B20-9239-7B5328742BD7.jpeg
    765.9 KB · Views: 378
  • B0F85727-8E1F-42DE-AAD3-BF2C1A7F1C25.jpeg
    B0F85727-8E1F-42DE-AAD3-BF2C1A7F1C25.jpeg
    951.9 KB · Views: 378
I know, I run a shop. Wholesale is $5. Six times wholesale is...a lot. At least the $20 for the install is fair.

the good part is this shop was same day service, not busy, and real friendly, unlike the other store I was at yesterday, where they acted lIke they were doing me a favor. I asked them to show me what screws they used to align the brake pads so I could do it myself next time and they got annoyed.

the good part is this shop was same day service, not busy, and real friendly, unlike the other store I was at yesterday, where they acted lIke they were doing me a favor. I asked them to show me what screws they used to align the brake pads so I could do it myself next time and they got annoyed.

YouTube

I finally achieved brake under water gurgling sound! Tektro brakes on my Spark City.
Over one year ago in shipping my front brake disk had a bit of damage, it was slightly bent when I received the bike, but I straightened it out. I could always still detect a very slight bend in it when coming to a complete stop. A slight shudder. It worked well enough so I let it be like that.
The brake pads are 1 year old and have been cleaned with solvent multiple times, sanded, burned, cleaned again etc. Also the disk was cleaned with pure isopropyl alcohol then acetone. This time after a cleaning and position adjustment I finally achieved brake gurgle.
Hope this helps in understanding whatever is the real problem.

Last edited:
The underwater burbling sound got worse and brake function was not good, including shudder. The pads seemed evenly spaced and everything is clean. I noticed the wheel was a tiny bit over to one side...so I carefully lined it up straight and re-positioned the brake and it's much improved.
I think the burbling sound might be caused by the wheel not positioned as well as could be. Stopping power is better now, for sure.
Further testing needed.

You might try to use drywall sandpaper since it is more a mesh that allows the material to fall through, versus embed into the pad. Regular sand paper just pushes the bad material into the pad.

To adjust after install, there are usually a couple or one bolt-screw that you can loosen, then alight the brake and retighten. Literally a 1 minute adjustment.

You might try to use drywall sandpaper since it is more a mesh that allows the material to fall through, versus embed into the pad. Regular sand paper just pushes the bad material into the pad.

To adjust after install, there are usually a couple or one bolt-screw that you can loosen, then alight the brake and retighten. Literally a 1 minute adjustment.
Allow me elaborate... I usually use a 600 grit aluminum oxide wet sand under running water. Dry wall sand paper is no where near abrasive enough, especially if we are talking about metal sintered pads or ceramics. And what ever the compound, I don't want to breathe any of it in. A quick shot of air from the compressor afterwards to dry and off you go 😉

Last edited:
Allow me elaborate... I usually use a 600 grit aluminum oxide wet sand under running water. Dry wall sand paper is no where near abrasive enough, especially if we are talking about metal sintered pads or ceramics. And what ever the compound, I don't want to breathe any of it in. A quick shot of air from the compressor afterwards to dry and off you go 😉
Nice! Good point on the harder materials. In your lungs would be very bad!

I use this https://www.amazon.com/3M-9089NA-Dr...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520382162517&psc=1

I have a Rize RX Pro, and at about 20 miles, my front brake was starting to make some noise, even when I wasn't on the brake. A chirping sound. Irratating to say the least. To quiet them, I would get on them hard, but just for a few feet. Eventually I went into a break in procedure and after about 20 miles, it started getting better, eventually quieting completely. That was just being bull headed on my part to see if I could get through this initial break in. It would have been much easier to just change the metalic pads over to an organic compound and been done with it.

I have another bike with metalic pads that I never did quiet completely, no matter what I did. At like 900 miles I gave up, and changed to organic. Noise gone. Silence is golden....

My brake is still not good enough. Hard braking showed me that yesterday. I've never removed the disc to deep clean it , so that will be next. After that if not as good as the rear brake, I'll replace the disc and pads.

Back