Derestricting Bosch Active Line Plus

I have active line plus. Even down hill in 8th gear I have not reached 40km an hour. I cruise at 20 km to 35 km with no braking wall.

The Bosch gen 4 motor on my Cannondale Lefty 3 is set with a 32kph power cutoff, but mine shut down the juice at 30.5kph. 1.5kph doesn't sound like much, but that's the speed I often ride at and it was a royal pain in the butt having to keep the speed below 30.5kph to keep the power on.
Now I can easily cruise in the 30-35kph range if I want to.

Got it, yeah I have the same bike. On flats not matter how fast I pedal I can’t get past 28.2. On super steep downhill I’ve got to 37, but the motor isn’t really assisting at that point anyway. I’m mainly interested in knowing if I can pedal faster than 28 on flat ground with the de-restriction.
I mainly pedal on the flat at sea level around Sydney Harbour. It's a joy without being restricted. I am careful as there are pedestrians in some places. You could pedal faster than 28 on the flat.

Hello. I wondered if anyone can give me a bit of help. I have a cube ebike with active line plus. Been using a badass box for a few years with pretty good success. But now I'm having problems. I can peddle a couple of miles at a good speed then receive the dreaded error 503. And I'm struggling to get past this.
It was only on reading this thread I remembered the badass box halfing your speed on the speedometer, I can no longer get the badass box to do this. Just changed the battery so it's not this. Watched so many videos with no success. Is my box knackered? Sorry for the long post
Thanks for any suggestions.

Hello. I wondered if anyone can give me a bit of help. I have a cube ebike with active line plus. Been using a badass box for a few years with pretty good success. But now I'm having problems. I can peddle a couple of miles at a good speed then receive the dreaded error 503. And I'm struggling to get past this.
It was only on reading this thread I remembered the badass box halfing your speed on the speedometer, I can no longer get the badass box to do this. Just changed the battery so it's not this. Watched so many videos with no success. Is my box knackered? Sorry for the long post
Thanks for any suggestions.
Besides a top quality battery replacement play with the wheel magnet alignment. Oh, this is dumb, forgive, are you sure the battery is the right way? The magnet needs to be and the end of the box that is closest to the rear of the box. Sometimes double stacking a second rare earth magnet does the trick with a dab of crazy glue, but this can also alter alignment if it is too close or too far it won't work. Is it a bit jumpy, inconsistent? To see if it is the box or the bike, remove the box whilst replacing the wheel mag with the original and aligning it with the original pick-up. If the box has failed and the bike is good, it will be smooth and strong, but not as fast.

People that want to break the laws that govern a sport or activity simply because they don’t agree with the law only end up strengthening the arguments for even more restrictive laws and can ruin it for those that are obeying the laws. Being an activist for change is more work and takes time, but it is a productive way to bring about change. It also might give you some insight as to why the laws were enacted in the first place.

I don’t know why the UK chose 25 kilometers per hour any more than I know why they drive on the left side of the road, (or why so many other countries drive on then right). I do know that when I am there that I shouldn’t take it upon myself to decide that driving on the left is not for me and just go ahead and drive on the right.

No one is restricting anyone to riding below 25 kph, (15.5 mph). They are requiring that if you want to go faster that you have to do it without assistance. In “eco” mode, my Yamaha Cross Core starts to cut out at around 17 mph, but when riding on tarmac I am typically at about 19-23 mph, and down some of our local hills, I am riding at over 40 mph. When I am accelerating from a stop or near stop, or on a hill, the assist is very welcome. IMHO, anything more would be contrary to the reason why I am on a bike instead of a car or motorcycle. I admit that 15.5 mph in the UK is a bit slow, but I also feel that people racing around unrestricted is only going to provide your government with an argument for more restrictions and even the elimination of Ebikes. Just my two cents.
I think you should be more worried about speeding cars and should have a restrictor fixed on yours incase you decide to go above the speed limit. As has been pointed out other cyclists can go faster than 25 km an hour under their own speed. I placed a doogle in my bike and no longer have to experience a drag when I choose to cycle faster. I am using the Bosch engine as it was designed for. But because I chose to do this does not mean I will drive on the right side of the road in Britain.

Besides a top quality battery replacement play with the wheel magnet alignment. Oh, this is dumb, forgive, are you sure the battery is the right way? The magnet needs to be and the end of the box that is closest to the rear of the box. Sometimes double stacking a second rare earth magnet does the trick with a dab of crazy glue, but this can also alter alignment if it is too close or too far it won't work. Is it a bit jumpy, inconsistent? To see if it is the box or the bike, remove the box whilst replacing the wheel mag with the original and aligning it with the original pick-up. If the box has failed and the bike is good, it will be smooth and strong, but not as fast.
Thanks for the info. Cycling to work in the morning. Il msg here if I get there quicker than usual. 👍

cycled in this morning. no joy with the box. battery definitely in the correct way. ive had success with the box on my bike and another box on my girlfriends bike.
ive tried the magnet at all areas of the box. i might purchase another box on amazon and if i have no joy return it. ive maybe done about 2000 miles, maybe more with the box connected, before i started to have problems. as mentioned the box no longer halves the speed on the speedo, sometimes it seems to be doing something then after a mile or two i recieve the 503 msg. thanks again

I am sorry for your box woes. Do you have a spare magnet to stack and to see if that works? It may be fried.

I am sorry for your box woes. Do you have a spare magnet to stack and to see if that works? It may be fried.
hi i actually do, somewhere. are you recommending doubling up? i could try that after the slow cycle home. 2 wheel empire have a box for sale on ebay with pictures of install magnet position, so il give it another bash but not getting my hopes up. thanks again

Did you get an update on your firmware? I thought new generations of Bosch motors went into limp mode after people tried to override the software?

Evening. Sorry for late response just put the kid to bed (missed the match). So I repositioned the magnet and I was cycling at a decent speed home. 9 miles no problems. However there was no drop off in speed on the speedo. before, it would maybe get to 10mph then drop to 4 or 5mph then keep increasing. The drop in Speedometer isn't happening or not noticeable and I'm trying to spot it. So I'm still worried about cycling and then the dreaded 503 error. (This has happened before were il be cycling for a few days , great no problems then bang 503 error. And always seems to be on the way to work. Its Like the sensor is aware I'm getting too much assistance).

It is using the original pickup not the box. And that spoke magnet is not really close enough for the original pickup to work very effectively. Remove the box and install the original magnet that puts it about 1cm closer to the pickup.

Because EU chose it. The reasoning behind was any cyclist with no special skill could ride safely at 25 km/h while riding faster required some skill. As the EU e-bike is just a bike by law, it was easy to allow Euro e-bikes on bike paths in dense urban traffic.

Not that I like the limitation. And the Czech made Peartune is just excellent. @macp please write directly to [email protected] for detailed information and perhaps you can buy the proper Peartune at the best price there.
That is the argument my racing buddies use. You can get inexperienced cyclists where an ebike allows them to ride much faster than they otherwise could and they don't have the bike handling skills to control the bike safely and can be a danger to others. It's not a perfect argument, but I see the point.

Last edited:
It is using the original pickup not the box. And that spoke magnet is not really close enough for the original pickup to work very effectively. Remove the box and install the original magnet that puts it about 1cm closer to the pickup.
hello . so far 2 10 mile rides to work and back without issue. heres a pic of my magnet and box. im 95% sure that is the original magnet as when i bought the box 3/4 years ago they supplied the butterfly screw. not to get into the restriction speed debate but the 25kph limit is a joke. road drivers are in more of a rush to get past when your cycling slowly. im not looking to speed about an extra 5mph would be fine.

Attachments

• 1682584736351.jpg
    1682584736351.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 131
That is the argument my racing buddies use.
That is exactly the argument my gravel cycling mates use...
They add most of people experience issues riding in the forest at 15 km/h while a gravel racer does 25 km/h or even more there.

@gmc1976: Has it occurred to you Bosch is actively fighting your derestrictor?
I technically can push a derestrictor button of PearTune chip on my Vado SL but I do it rarely recently. The reason being Vado SL fights with the chip and issues non-critical motor error codes. I have got used to riding slower because of that :)

Last edited:
hello . so far 2 10 mile rides to work and back without issue. heres a pic of my magnet and box. im 95% sure that is the original magnet as when i bought the box 3/4 years ago they supplied the butterfly screw. not to get into the restriction speed debate but the 25kph limit is a joke. road drivers are in more of a rush to get past when your cycling slowly. im not looking to speed about an extra 5mph would be fine.
The magnet needs to be 1cm closer to the box. The photo really helps.

Back