Delay in Assist?

tommybgood

Region
USA
I've watched several review/promotional vids where riders acknowledge that the lectrics have a delay in both assist and shutoff of power. It's not a split second either, it's supposed to be closer to a full pedal revolution.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case on the 2.0's? It's not enough to disqualify purchase, but something to look out for if I do. Perhaps replace the cadence sensor?

I've watched several review/promotional vids where riders acknowledge that the lectrics have a delay in both assist and shutoff of power. It's not a split second either, it's supposed to be closer to a full pedal revolution.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case on the 2.0's? It's not enough to disqualify purchase, but something to look out for if I do. Perhaps replace the cadence sensor?
i believe if the slight delay bothers you you can just apply the throttle from a standing stop. for me it’s not something i would replace the sensor over given i can just rip the throttle a bit of i’m on a hill start or something.

I can't help with the Lectrics but this same start / stop delay also occurs on all three of my Pedego Interceptors. It takes almost a full rotation of the crank before the PAS kicks in. When I called tech support, I was told the start delay was a safety feature to prevent the bike from taking off unexpectedly when mounting.

It's annoying but I got used to it. I do what @rawlus does and blip the throttle when necessary.

my understanding is it is the difference between a cadence sensor and a torque sensor. the cadence sensor requires rotation to measure cadence so it can’t kick in until some rotation has happened whereas a torque sensor will be able to measure the force before a rotation begins and kick in earlier. again my understanding from a lot of reading but no direct exp.

my understanding is it is the difference between a cadence sensor and a torque sensor. the cadence sensor requires rotation to measure cadence so it can’t kick in until some rotation has happened whereas a torque sensor will be able to measure the force before a rotation begins and kick in earlier. again my understanding from a lot of reading but no direct exp.
Nope. The start delay is about a setting in the controller in a cadence sensor only system. You may or may not have access to this setting depending on the bike manf. The controller is told it must count the number of pulses coming from the PAS sensor prior to initializing power to the motor. If it's told to initialize on the first pulse, that magnet in the PAS sensor might be very close to passing the sensor and cause a false start if just bumped. So some of the manf's go way overboard to prevent that from happening, telling the controller to count the number of pulses in 1/2 or more of the crank revolutions ( 6 to 12 pulses or so).

With many torque sensing systems, you CAN get false starts pretty easily. The safety of making the controller count PAS sensor pulses isn't there. With a torque sensor bike, you climb on and off with the system shut down, or your hand on a brake - or suffer the consequences. After suffering those consequence once or twice, you WILL remember those cautions. Trust me. I launched a Bafang Ultra equipped bike with 4" dirt tires, twice, learning that lesson. -Al

Last edited:
What you said is true, but programming of the controller determines how much pedal rotation is required. On our Aventon Pace 500, it has a 12 magnets cadence sensor, and it take takes about 1/4 to 1/3 rotation of the crank to engage the motor. The number of magnets determine the minimum amount of rotation it takes for the sensor to detect the rotation, but the programming determines how to use that sensor information (ex. the algorithm can say don't start the motor until 6 magnets have passed the sensor (on a 12 magnets system), which translates to 180 degrees rotation of the crank.

I have seen a review where the reviewer changed the setting on the controller to decrease the rotation required to engage the motor, sorry I forgot which review though. It may actually a review from EBR, not sure.

Oops, I think AHicks explained it better that I just did, I should have read that first :)

I adjusted the setting for less revolutions before the motor kicks in and let me tell you. I'll be setting@ an intersection & if my peddles move AT ALL, the bike takes off. Not cool. I put that setting back to default.

I adjusted the setting for less revolutions before the motor kicks in and let me tell you. I'll be setting@ an intersection & if my peddles move AT ALL, the bike takes off. Not cool. I put that setting back to default.
Needs to be viewed as a "sensitivity" adjustment. Different users are going to have different priorities. Somebody spending a lot of time on tight trails for instance, might prefer a lot of sensitivity for enhanced low speed handling. I know I do. I'll take the occasional false start to get that control if necessary. The bigger thing, in my mind anyway, is that the bike manf. provides the ability for things like this to be adjusted. Many (most?) don't in my experience. That's viewed as a huge plus here..... -Al

Back