Dapu Mid Drive Motors - are they really sub-par?

Subpar compared to what?
Also, what type of Dapu - they are known for their hubs mostly, but there are Dapu mid drives as well.
There is no reliable statistics. It "appears" that Dapu hubs are not worse than Bafang (for example).
YMMV.

Dapu is japanese made and is Very hi quality. Vastly superior to bafangs and all other chinese ones.
I'm on 2 diff. ebikes with it, over 15k miles no issues.

Dapu is Japanese-owned and (very likely) made in China like everything else. Their homepage has office address in Shanghai, China and says "factories in Japan, Vietnam, China".

Most people are familiar with their hubs, not mid drives.
On a brief glance, Dapu 250W mid drive is very heavy - twice heavier than Bosch 250 or Bafang 250, and is throttle-compatible same as Bafang (while Bosch is not). Dapu don't make mid drives bigger than 250W.

If I were in a market for a mid drive, I would consider Bafang 250 (or, possibly, 500) before Dapu 250, because of lower price, weight, and better availability.
If I had a little more money and was ready to give up a throttle, I would buy Bosch - higher initial investment, higher cost of replacement (not just motor but battery as well), and superb track record.
Though, most likley, I would've just stayed with a hub :)

Last edited:
I thought so too, Pedego use Dapu, and I know Pedego care about customer experience quite a bit.

I read in another thread on EBR that Pedego no longer uses Dapu mid motors due to reliability issues... Brose and Shimano are now sourced on their high-end mid-drive bikes.

Now its 2023,whats peoples thinking now of Dapu if anything at all,im looking at a bike with mid drive Dapu MD250 & says newest version of it,so difficult to source info with hundreds of different motors,

I have a Megamo Kansas with a dapu 250w and 65Nm engine, a gravel bike with road wheels and I'm really happy with the reliable engine, 5 assistance modes and super quiet, nothing to envy to a specialized turbo levo that I also have, Price 1.900 Euros .
1683456991142-min.jpg
1683456861100-min.jpg

Looks the bizz,glad your happy finding your needs,i came across the dapu md250 motor whilst looking for a new ebike,1st time ever coming across it,so wondered if its reliable,thanks for info

What matters most is a parts stream. How available are repair parts?

What matters most is a parts stream. How available are repair parts?
good luck with that, i remember trying to source a full motor a few years back and even that was a pain in the butt.

Back