Customized Voltbikes

Finally got to ride a 2018 Yukon this morning thanks to a new Voltbike Ambassador AND the only one on O'ahu. Brand spanking new Yukon Ltd with only 1.3 miles on it. When I first saw the bike my jaw literally dropped. What a beast! This definitely wasn't my Trek FX bike. Solid bike and a very comfortable ride. Handled a short 12% grade better than I expected and debunked the myth that I needed a mid-drive. Now, I did have to pedal, and it was a workout, but a lot easier than pedaling my Trek up my 7% grade to the house.

The bike owner also had a new Mariner for his wife that was equally as impressive. Fantastic ride and I didn't feel like I was riding some circus bike. Either bike would be a good choice.

Haven’t posted on here in a while but I recently upgraded my Yukon Limited (2017 model) 10Ah battery to a 21Ah battery from EBike Marketplace. The 21Ah Dorado Max is 505mm long versus the stock 10Ah Dorado Plus 440mm so I had to modify the bike a little. I plan to go for a distance ride soon (+25) but I’ve completed a 25 mile round trip to work on a single charge multiple times. I average 25-28Wh/mil so there is plenty of juice left when I get home. The battery can discharge at 40A continuous and 60A peak so for some off-road fun I crank the power up to over 1kW. I bike on the beach a lot so I’m planning to add a direct drive motor upfront with another phaserunner to add more torque and regen capability.

Here are some pics of the modifications I had to make to fit the battery.

10Ah Battery:

Modifications:

Spray Painted

21Ah battery:

Top view of 21Ah (Dorado Max) sticks out compared to 10Ah (Dorado Plus):

Attachments

• D7D62F4D-3831-422F-8DAA-9404F8746AD3.jpeg
    D7D62F4D-3831-422F-8DAA-9404F8746AD3.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
nice mod! how's the integrity of the frame?

also did you consider getting a 52V?
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

it's on my wish list so I was wondering why you went with 48V

Thanks! I did some FEA on removing the material and the deflection was okay and there was no cross section yielding so all is good. I went with 48v since it has higher energy in the same form factor as the 52v, 1008Wh vs 910Wh. Marginal but $/Wh was better for 48v, $0.72 vs $0.77 and gave me the potential for a few more miles.

Ah, okay I see.

Are they Li-po? Most ebikes are powered by Li-Ion but that one says Li-po so I was curious.

Not sure why the description has Li-polymer instead of Li-ion. Pack is designed to use Panasonic’s GA or LG MJ1 18650 cells.

Here are some pics! Some of my mods are replaced APT LCD display with Cycle Analyst (CA3-DP), replaced stock controller with Phaserunner by Grin Technologies (Dimensions 99mm x 40mm x 34mm), DNP 7spd 11-30 Freewheel (11T helps with the higher speeds I can go now), potentiometer (assigned to control overall power level), digital aux 2 button input (I have it assigned to control PAS levels), Momentary On/Off Switch by PerfecTech, Lifeproof Bike Handlebar Mount for my iPhone 7+, longer 720mm OUTDAD handlebar, Ergon GP5 grips, EM3EV Power Switch with horn button (switch wired to LED spotlight), 48V Uxcel horn, YITAMOTOR 36W LED spotlight, Classic 2.0 Garment pannier for commuting (https://www.twowheelgear.com/products/commuter-garment-pannier), Suntour SP12-NCX Seat post, Pro-Bikegear slap guard, Venzo side mirrors, Blusmart Wireless rear light and Zefal DT Armor frame guard.
Note sure it is in this thread anywhere but I'm not so interested in all the other mods (I already have different seatpost, chainrings, tires, etc.) but I am interested in the controller/display mod. Did this increase your power, torque and top-end speed? What is the max speed you can get at PAS9 on the flats? The main thing I am after is some increase in top-end speed, but have seen so few posts about different controllers and displays to achieve this, unlike say the Rad bikes were there is well known after-market controller/display that is plug-and-play giving it a power/speed boost.
Thx, ...Roger

Thanks for your time to put this blog together. I like all the mods, but the horn is what interests me. Can you say it is much louder than the standard bike bell/horn? We have a great deal of difficulty getting the attention of people ahead of us. My Outback is 48v so this horn could be the answer. I will post some pics of the bike too as it is a full suspension frame and after some trial and error I have found a way to attach fender/mudguards so that the tires don't hit them. It may be of interest to others.

IMG_20200420_130735.jpg
IMG_20200420_130714.jpg
IMG_20200419_084309.jpg
The Outback has a lot of suspension travel so it has been a challenge to design mudflaps. If anyone is interested I will explain in detail with pics and links as requested. I am 74 years old and started modifying bikes to suit me 63 years ago. I still think it's one of man's best inventions. And Voltbikes are one of the best of them.

Last edited:
Back