Custom SD Bike Speaker Project

SteveBorough

Region
USA
Made this over a year ago. Works great but thinking of remaking a bit more robust. Any audio/speaker/CAD/3D printing people want to take the journey with me?
speaker.jpg

Its currently rechargeable & Bluetooth, thinking of redesigning with 2 mid-bass woofers and 2 tweeters and making it waterproof with a style and finish like the Bosch battery that would normally go there. PM me!

Yeah it's kinda cool but why? Can you drop it in and take it out quickly so you can drop a 2nd battery in? Or?

Made this over a year ago. Works great but thinking of remaking a bit more robust. Any audio/speaker/CAD/3D printing people want to take the journey with me?
View attachment 119630
Its currently rechargeable & Bluetooth, thinking of redesigning with 2 mid-bass woofers and 2 tweeters and making it waterproof with a style and finish like the Bosch battery that would normally go there. PM me!
Why not just use ear buds?

Yeah it's kinda cool but why? Can you drop it in and take it out quickly so you can drop a 2nd battery in? Or?
yeah its essentially a bluetooth speaker in the shape of a battery, I built it when I was biking to the park to meet friends during social distancing, I can pop it out for picnic/beach tunes, leave it in for tunes while riding...fun project! The SuperDelite has 2 batteries so this works for trips that only require 1.

Gangsta! How does it sound?
Is it waterproof?
Not bad but there's def room for improvement! I learned CAD and bought a 3D printer as my covid hobby (along with e-biking!) and started with this speaker design. I've learned so much since this first design, having made 4 additional and larger speakers since, I would love to revisit this project aiming for better sound, cleaner design, louder, waterproof, etc... Hence, the "call to arms," i.e. request for help from this community, in the 1st post.

Perhaps do some software/hardware FFT trickery and incorporate the frame as an additional driver via vibrations! :)

New design, moved from the battery-well to the front carrier. Its rugged, loud af and snaps onto the front rack! That's a wireless phone charger on the top, the indented black rectangle. Metal loops are for a strap or extra security for attaching to my super delite. Latch system is still being finalized but I love this thing! Been a fun learning adventure!
20220924_183326.jpg

20220924_220354.jpg

20220924_013851.jpg

New design, moved from the battery-well to the front carrier. Its rugged, loud af and snaps onto the front rack! That's a wireless phone charger on the top, the indented black rectangle. Metal loops are for a strap or extra security for attaching to my super delite. Latch system is still being finalized but I love this thing! Been a fun learning adventure! View attachment 136878
View attachment 136879
View attachment 136880
The problem with a large blaster strapped to your bike is that not everyone likes your music. Why not just find a nice set of ear buds? I love to golf and listen to music, but not everyone on the range wants to listen to Deep Purple Highway Star. I bought a nice pair of buds that allow me to listen on my bike and on the course...

Last edited by a moderator:
Large portable Bluetooth speakers exist, I figured out how to make and transport mine, never said I'm trying to entertain the neighborhood. Its great for beach trips or outdoor destinations/gatherings that benefit from music. This is all about the destination not the journey, although its been a fun one! Golf as an example, haha, thats like suggesting I built this for library visits, expand your mind and use-cases a little!

I’ll say that someone riding by playing their tunes on a speaker is not uncommon in cities like nyc or dc. It’s not that big a deal when you also have honking, people shouting in different languages, wheelie boyz and what-not in the mix.

I can certainly make a ton of noise with this thing but I choose not too; FOR ME there is convenience in what I built. Would love to see more 3D printed, homegrown "accessories" for our e-bikes in general!

I can certainly make a ton of noise with this thing but I choose not too; FOR ME there is convenience in what I built. Would love to see more 3D printed, homegrown "accessories" for our e-bikes in general!
Sorry if I missed this point, but Is the speaker powered from the bike batteries?

Back