Curious How many Vado SL Owners & reviews after several miles riding

Gotta a Specialized Vado SL 5.0 EQ, top of the ebike food chain, my big splurge. Oh man, rides just like a smooth analogue bike only faster. I mean it just rides so natural. I would know how fast I was going but the DAMN speedo guage comes with NO INSTRUCTIONS anywhere to be found. DRAT ! What kind of company charges $4500 and no freaking instructions for this. And the rest of the manual is prehistoric generic crap like a Walmart bike. What gives? But oh what a clean natural electric ride.

Gotta a Specialized Vado SL 5.0 EQ, top of the ebike food chain, my big splurge. Oh man, rides just like a smooth analogue bike only faster. I mean it just rides so natural. I would know how fast I was going but the DAMN speedo guage comes with NO INSTRUCTIONS anywhere to be found. DRAT ! What kind of company charges $4500 and no freaking instructions for this. And the rest of the manual is prehistoric generic crap like a Walmart bike. What gives? But oh what a clean natural electric ride.
My instructions for the TCD were in a packet of stuff that was inside the charger case. There was also a model specific instruction booklet. The TCD instructions had microscopic font unsuitable for my old eyes. You are better off going the the Specialized website and downloading an electronic copy that you can blow up. Glad you like the ride,

My instructions for the TCD were in a packet of stuff that was inside the charger case. There was also a model specific instruction booklet. The TCD instructions had microscopic font unsuitable for my old eyes. You are better off going the the Specialized website and downloading an electronic copy that you can blow up. Glad you like the ride,
Went on the web site I found no manual explaining anything about the TCD. I looked at all the manual downloads.

Try Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres and ride your e-MTB. Very good for road, good enough off-road (if your tyres are within 2.6" limit, you can find Smart Sams for you).

I'm interested with the answer myself. I ride the 45 km/h (28 mph) "full" Vado 5.0. It is possible to maintain 23-25 mph in Turbo mode and with considerable effort. It is very hard to get at 28 mph and it is hardly possible to maintain such a speed unless it is at least slightly downhill and it is downwind or no wind. So I wonder if that's possible at all with the Vado SL. Creo SL? Possibly, in the aero position...
I do find I can get to 20 mph (32 kph) easily on my Trek Rail with 2.6 sticky rubber MTB tires, but as I mentioned I does take considerable effort to hold it there. And I realize that some of the other markets outside of USA have different limits. That's dumb. Even on the trail I find limits on the 32 kph limiter, not going up hill, but sometimes on rolling terrain I come against the limiter and want more speed and there isn't any more available. I also find that on the road, 32 kph is not enough. I can do that on my own, even if not for very long when the terrain starts to go up. 32 kph does not feel special to me, but 40-45 kph feels like I'm moving along quite well.
I am very near to putting together another wheelset with a Maxxis hookworm and grifter tire, so I will try out the street riding on the MTB and see it it is a little easier to ride on an enduro bike at 32 kph.

I bought a Vado SL 5.0 (non EQ ) principally because I am over eighty years old. I have kept records for eleven years and it was clear that I was getting slower and the hills were getting higher.

The Vado SL is just what the doctor ordered. Even in ECO mode the local hills have gotten shorter and less steep. Sport mode knocks 5 to 5 years off of my age. I rarely feel the need for Turbo mode.

I really enjoy riding the Vado SL.
GrayFox that's so rad. I want to keep riding along when I am in my eight decade. Awesome.
Joruk: On the flats I've never been able to hit 30mph, but I also haven't tried too many times. It's way it's easy for me to get to 27 mph on the flats (and I'm a big guy 6'2" 260--a fairly fit fat guy!). But I would find a motor cutting off at 20 mph to be annoying, because it's really easy and comfortable to ride just above 20 mph on the bike. I don't know that I could do 27 mph in work clothes on my way to work, and not get there needing a shower. I'm pedaling hard to get to and maintain that speed. Also, while I'm comfortable going downhill at 35 mph on the SL, pedaling hard on the flats to 27 mph does (for me) get close to my comfort level in terms of stability and maneuverability. Not sure I'd want to have to maneuver in traffic to avoid a surprise pedaling/exerting that hard at that speed. I've just done it on farm road in the country side (because I can and it's fun). Hope that answers your question, at least in part.

But I'll also add that since you're a more accomplished cyclist able to ride long distances at 20 mph without fatigue on a regular bike, then I'd think 25 would be easy for you to do on the Vado SL. I know I always feel like I could do 18-21 mph "all day" on my Vado SL on the rolling flats (not literally all day--but clearly for extended periods of time without excessive fatigue).
Recontra, that helps. I've been thinking about this and I think what I want is that 25-28 mph (40-45 kph) range, sustained. That's an area I really couldn't achieve without a group of cyclists road bike style. You know where people take turns pulling for a few minutes. I want to do that, but let the bike do that pulling. I agree, a 20 mph cutoff is limiting the potential of these bikes, and that's unfortunate. The 28 mph cutoff makes sense to me. I don't need to go faster than that, generally. And the protective gear (helmet and gloves), is barely adequate at lower speeds, let alone the higher speeds.

I bought a Vado SL 5.0 (non EQ ) principally because I am over eighty years old. I have kept records for eleven years and it was clear that I was getting slower and the hills were getting higher.

The Vado SL is just what the doctor ordered. Even in ECO mode the local hills have gotten shorter and less steep. Sport mode knocks 5 to 5 years off of my age. I rarely feel the need for Turbo mode.

I really enjoy riding the Vado SL.
GrayFox that's rad that you are riding into your eighth decade. So rad.

Check out the good youtube that compares vado to vado sl!
I have Vado 3.0 and my wife has the superlight 4.0.
I prefer the vado as I'm 195 lbs and had minor knee surgery 6 months ago. I can monitor my input WATTS and make sure I don't go over a level that causes pain later in the day. I can do steep hills. Downside: it's pretty heavy bike and I never ride with power OFF.
My wife is well matched at 135 lbs and the superlight she goes as fast as me everywhere and often does ride power off! It's an amazing bike if that's all the power you want/ need.
Vado is approximately 2x power of SL.
I love flying down the road for short bursts at 25mph at full power.
Specialized ebikes are far better than the others we've ridden.
It is motivating to get out and get much more excercise and expand your range of exploration.

Specialized ebikes are far better than the others we've ridden.
Totally agree! (And I own/owned other e-bikes, too).

My impressions are very similar to yours. Whenever I can (daily & solo rides), I take Vado SL. For fast group rides, it has to be my Vado 5.0. There's always some compromise: either lightweight but slower or heavy but faster ;)

I do find I can get to 20 mph (32 kph) easily on my Trek Rail with 2.6 sticky rubber MTB tires, but as I mentioned I does take considerable effort to hold it there. And I realize that some of the other markets outside of USA have different limits. That's dumb. Even on the trail I find limits on the 32 kph limiter, not going up hill, but sometimes on rolling terrain I come against the limiter and want more speed and there isn't any more available. I also find that on the road, 32 kph is not enough. I can do that on my own, even if not for very long when the terrain starts to go up. 32 kph does not feel special to me, but 40-45 kph feels like I'm moving along quite well.
I am very near to putting together another wheelset with a Maxxis hookworm and grifter tire, so I will try out the street riding on the MTB and see it it is a little easier to ride on an enduro bike at 32 kph.
I agree.
I have the vado 3.0, and can sustain 25 mph on full power on flat ground here in florida. (maybe a slight tail wind?). It's a really fun and motivating bike for real bike lovers. (not for someone that doesn't want a work out)

Fantastic! Just my input, but even the bottom of the line heavier Vado 3.0 that I have rides like an ebike dream!! "Clean, natural ebike" that just makes you stronger, younger and flattens the hills, and is super quiet :) Specialized technology is amazing. Don't know why the cheaper VADO comes with the speedo built in and working perfectly. But it's wireless and optional accessory on some SL's to save weight. And I love the iphone tuning app which can tune your 3 power curves. Like I have saved settings for "ride with chip" "road rides with steep hills" "ride at beach" etc.

Don't know why the cheaper VADO comes with the speedo built in and working perfectly.
There is a legal requirement for S-Pedelecs (equivalent of the U.S. Class 3) in Europe to have a working speedometer at all times. Specialized decided to install permanent speedometer for all Vados and Comos for simplicity.

To make a long story short: All Specialized SL e-bikes are equipped with the TCU, or Turbo Control Unit. The TCU can connect to the optional wireless TCD display, or to GPS bike computers or to sports wearables, or to smartphones.

Vados and Comos are lacking the Turbo Control Unit, so Specialized made the wired version of the TCD display, named TCD-w. The TCD-w adds the missing capability of the TCU to Vados and Comos.

Back