Cruiser for my wife - Pedago vs Evelo?

jstephens62

I just bought my first ebike and I and hooked. My wife has arthritis issues and finds walking difficult, I am hoping an ebike will allow her to get out and about without pain. So I finds myself shopping for her, features that I am looking for:
  • Comfort styling (step through frame, upright position)
  • Throttle control (to allow for taking a break from pedaling)
On line research so far leads me to the Pedago Interceptor and the Evelo Galaxy. The Evelo has an edge in terms of features, but not being able to test ride is a problem.
Budget alternatives would be the RadRover Step-Thru 1 and the Blix Sol.
I am sure there are other options out there, the range of choice is impressive, but also a little overwhelming. I would appreciate input, especially on the Pedago vs. Evelo issue.

The Pedego is over priced. Mechanical brakes on a $3,500 plus bike??? Really? But you can try the ride. Underpowered for my taste.

Evelo has an excellent reputation. But Galaxy is sold out at present. Galaxy 500?? A little more money, but better components.

Evelo gets my vote.

I'd strongly recommend having your wife test-ride a few e-bikes before making a purchase. You can start making some better judgements about bikes and even about bikes that you aren't test riding.

Pedegos are overpriced, but you do get pretty high touch service and the warranty repairs are painless. So if you are close to a Pedego dealer I'd really recommend going there and trying out a bike.

The Pedego is something of a tank as well. My wife got rid of hers because it was so heavy and hard to maneuver. It just intimidated her, pure and simple. Once you got it going it was fine, but but it really was a handful even on the smallest slope if you were stopped. A lot of it had to do with that huge battery up over the rear wheel. It was just very poorly balanced.

My wife rides a 2016 Pedego Commuter and I'm not impressed with the bike's quality. I realize it's 4 years old, but she only has around 1500 miles on the bike and in the last six months the headlight (which is one unit-no bulb replacement), controller, and display have packed it in.

Agreed on the test ride suggestions.
Some manufacturers are calling a mid-step a step-through. They are not the same. Both my ebikes are mid steps and although I can stand over them easily, sometimes I need the flexibility of an Olympic gymnast to get on and off it. I still do the “swing the leg over the back wheel” method.

I agree with others who suggest test riding bikes before buying. Sometimes, it means taking a trip to get to a dealer. Make an outing of it and enjoy the experience but call ahead for possible pandemic restrictions.

I tested over a dozen bikes before buying my three Pedego Platinum Inteceptors. Unfortunately, I didn't test an Evelo so I can't compare them directly. I find the anti Pedego posts in this thread to be contrary to my experience. I have over 5000 miles on my three 2017 Pedego's and have only had one issue with a defective controller. Pedego replaced it promptly under warranty.

Yes, Pedego's are pricey but IMO, you get what you pay for. I particularly like their 5 year, no questions asked, warranty, superb customer service and nationwide network of dealers. At 58#, the bike is on the high side of average for an e-bike but my 5' 2", 120# wife has no trouble maneuvering hers around the trails. The throttle provides assistance when walking the bike up a slope or even taking it up stairs. It should be noted that all three of my Pedego's have hydraulic disc brakes.

One of the big problems I had in choosing a bike was finding one with an upright riding position. My wife and I both have arthritis and can't ride for any distance in a bent over position. A factor in favor of the Pedego Interceptors is their swept back handlebars and extra long cables. This made it both easy and inexpensive to replace the factory bars and add a stem riser to get the necessary upright riding position.

You'll get many opinions here on EBR but yours is the only one that counts. It is necessary that you form your own based on experience. The best bike is the one you are happy with. The only way to find it is to test ride as many bikes as you can!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pedego go under in the next few years. They have a very limited selection, are overpriced for what they are, and are inferior to newer ebikes from companies like Trek, Specialized, and Giant.
Yes, the five year warranty is nice, but I don't think it, by itself, is enough to warrant buying a Pedego product (and my wife and I both own a Pedego ebike).

If you are/live in the Seattle area, then the Evelo Showroom is right in Downtown Seattle. Evelo used to keep most current models in their showroom, even when the supply of those models were on backorder.

If you are/live in the Seattle area, then the Evelo Showroom is right in Downtown Seattle. Evelo used to keep most current models in their showroom, even when the supply of those models were on backorder.
I think they closed the showroom down. I contacted them about a test ride. They said that was not possible, and emphasized the no-risk return policy.

The Pedego is over priced. Mechanical brakes on a $3,500 plus bike??? Really? But you can try the ride. Underpowered for my taste.

Evelo has an excellent reputation. But Galaxy is sold out at present. Galaxy 500?? A little more money, but better components.

Evelo gets my vote.
I agree Pedego is higher priced, But I would not consider them overpriced.
Pedego's exclusive Nationwide dealer network is the difference maker.
I agree you pay for that network. That network is provides stellar customer service. You also get a 5 year warranty including 3 year battery warranty.
If you are a tinkerer and want to diagnose your own problems and replace your own parts, that dealer network may have no value to you.
However if you purchased your Ebike to ride it vs. performing service on it the network is worth every penny you paid for it. Taking a test ride or
getting a live person and a straight answer is not an issue with Pedego.
My Pedego step thru also has hydraulic brakes.

Pedego could easily lower the price, like quite significantly, some model by thousands of $, if they choose to go online like any other ebike companies.

But I think Pedego has niche yet solid customer base where people still prefer good old human to human interactions and customer service.
Yes Pedego has a niche of older buyers. Their target demographic is an older/senior rider. Someone who wants to ride more than trinker.
Someone not interested in assembling themselves or dealing with internet buying. With that in mind the Pedego buyer is willing to pay more for a clean turn key sale, with no variables. They don't necessarily want the best features but they want reliable features.
They are not interested in conversations concerning: mid drive vs. hub drive,
belt vs. chain, cadence vs. torque sensing, full suspension or anything too technical . After all it's just a bike!....
Most beginners don't truly understand those terms until they buy a bike anyway.
It's the seasoned Ebiker that understands the effects and dynamics of the various features, but a novice can only imagine the effects.
Pedego buyers typically just want to ride with that magical pedal assist and twist the throttle when required. Give them a bike that will reliably push them along, flatten the hills and allow them the freedom and ability to ride again and they will happily write the check!
Your right it a niche market of turnkey older buyers. In the end its all about the brick and mortar business plan.

I think Amego is kind of a rare case. They do both.

Amego is a bicycle shop, just like Crazy Lenny's, NYCeWheels, Propel Electric Bikes, etc..
At the same time, Amego also has its own brand, just like Rad Power, Volt Bike, Juiced, Pedego, etc...

I can't think of any other ebike store that sells its own brand of bikes, yet carry all the other brands.
I recently read REI has its own house brand of Ebikes. They also sell other brands.
I guess they are still different because they are more than just a bike shop. They are a all around outdoor retailer

Those two look nice but neither has a throttle that he initially wanted for his wife. Also, if he has a few hills I would think the more expensive one with more power and torque would be better choice.

The Evelo limited may be more than you want to spend but has plenty of power for Seattle hills and has one of best warranties around.

I think there is always some conformation bias in these comparative threads. I own three Pedego Platinum Interceptors and try to keep this in mind whenever discussing my bike brand. A lot of good information has been posted in this thread and I agree with most of it.

When e-bike shopping, I tested over a dozen different brands including an Evelo that I borrowed from a friend. I found it to be nearly identical to the Pedego in looks and performance. To be fair, these conclusions were based on just a 10 mile ride. The main difference of course is the price. Sure, there are many subtle differences that could sway a buyer either way but in the end, I chose the Pedego. The main reason was the dealer network and top notch customer service. My bikes are used by many friends & relatives and I wanted a brand with a low frequency of repair. Most of the ebike rental shops I have seen personally here in the northeastern US, rent Pedego bikes which in itself, seems to support these requirements. I'm sure this may be different in other parts of the country and others may not agree.

Admittedly, price wasn't a big factor for me. Yes, Pedego is expensive and had I been on a budget, I likely would have bought an Evelo. For all intensive purposes, both bikes fit my basic requirements and riding style.

Every rider has different needs & wants when it comes to buying a bike. style, performance, durability, warranty, availability, etc all come into play. That's what makes it so difficult to make recommendations. All anyone can do is relate their personal experience in order to help others make their own decision.

Personally, I don't think you would be unhappy with either of these two choices.

In any case, welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

Back