Crosscurrent S: Questions and Answers, Open Thread

Asher

I just placed a pre-order for an S. I had some questions and one of their reps answered for me, and they may be of value to others.

1. Can the frame branding be removed/rubbed off? [I don't care for branding, and the brushed aluminum frame would look good without it IMO]
A: The branding is on a removable decal

2. Can you provide a written confirmation that warranty repairs will be reimbursed?
A: Basically a no, because people could abuse it, but said that all failures due to manufacturer defect will be covered.

3. How do you cancel a pre-order?
A: Just call and talk to support.

4. Squaretrade has some super cheap extended warranties on Amazon, if you buy through Amazon ($60 for 2 years extended). How can you order the 19 AH battery version through Amazon?
A: Amazon does not and will not stock the 19 AH version, for the foreseeable future. Also, the salesman provided a promo code after I asked, offering $100 off. PM me and I will provide :).

There's also Velocare as another extended independent warranty.

5. Warranty - product page says 2 years for mechanical, warranty page says 1 year for all except frame.
A: 2 years mechanical is correct.

6. Schwalbe tires available as an upgrade?
A: Those are no longer available as an upgrade, it's too much hassle in the warehouse.

7. How do you charge it abroad?
A: Salesman didn't know but said I was the first to ask, figured that it's probably not an issue. I know some appliances can't be charged at all if you go to a country with different voltages (110v vs 220v), while electronics like cell phones and computers just need an adapter.

Anyone here know?

Last edited:
nice! You can still come by this weekend and ride it if you like... sorry I didn't back to you... i've been busy at work. I'll contact you on the number you gave me tomorrow or Friday once I know what my weekend looks like.

:)

the bigger problem is traveling with the battery which is probably the first no go..... unless your driving... flying definitely not.

Does the new GPS tracker have it's own battery?

IMO it should, because you'd presumably be removing your battery in scenarios where it would get stolen. Imagining something like a small battery that gets charged by the big one and lasts a few days.

I'm not buying it myself but would love to see this become standard in future ebikes.

But, I wonder how often you can actually use the data to prosecute bike thieves.

The power supply that came with my CCS is a switching AC-DC converter that will take between 100-240VAC as input. The power cord is removable so all you need is a compatible power cord for the country you will be in. Probably $5-$10 on Digikey.

Jacob

Curious, does Juiced ship bikes by sea or air?

Got my shipping notice which states San Diego airport as the origin. I know they say they air mail the batteries.

Mine came by freight truck, but I am in S. Cal so it would not make much since to put it on a plane from San Degio.

Jacob

I think Pilot ships between airports via ground. So they ship to the nearest airport roughly (Pilot's local site is several miles from the airport), and then send it to your home.

I just got my CCS :).

For the rear light, how long do the double AA batteries last? Do you have to unscrew the light to put in new batteries?

What voltage corresponds to 20% capacity? I'd like to set my low voltage cut off to that. Tora mentions 43 volts in a video as a safe cutoff, which I'm using now.

You divide by 13 to get the individual battery voltage and refer to table 4 in the link below. Low voltage cutoff is tricky because the voltage drops under load. So if you start bumping into the 43V low voltage cutoff the voltage will increase as soon as you remove the load. I probably wouldn’t let the static battery pack voltage get below 47V if you want to keep the battery above 20%. You’ll also notice the bike starting to get really sluggish when you get below ~25% battery remaining so you probably wouldn’t want to drain it all the way to 0% anyways.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

I find the 43 volt cutoff to be too obtrusive, I have been running at 42 with decent power and range.
I read in a thread on this forum that the tail light batteries can be replaced by prying open a clip on the back, but it's hard to get to. I haven't replaced mine yet, I'll probably take the assembly off and have a good look at it when the time comes.

I've got mine set at 40V. In practice I rarely go below 46, occasionally down to 44 on longer rides. If you set too high, like someone else said, you'll have fluctuations under load. It's really not a linear function at all.

Anyone know how to remove the stickers? I tried using a hair dryer, and it did not budge. Same for rubbing alcohol.

I've got mine set at 40V. In practice I rarely go below 46, occasionally down to 44 on longer rides. If you set too high, like someone else said, you'll have fluctuations under load. It's really not a linear function at all.
Me too. I only want the LVC as an absolute bottom scraper and therefore want it to be as out of the way as possible.

My Juiced logo appears to be paint. Despite what I read about removable decals.
Me too. The paint is prone to chipping. And I had a crash a while back. Someday I will just take down the frame for repainting if I cannot get it replaced and have to live with its slight twist. I think if I repaint, I will paint it white. White, like bright yellow, is even more visible than red (much as I like the bright red). Annnnd what sort of decals and stickers will I find to put on the bike?

Ans: none! Oh, maybe the Juiced headtube logo! It's good looking.

Last edited:
My Juiced logo appears to be paint. Despite what I read about removable decals.

I have the brushed aluminum, maybe it differs between that and the black/red versions since the latter are painted and the brushed isn't? It does feel like an extremely thin sticker to me, but I could be wrong.

If it is paint, I should be able to strip the paint without leaving a mark, since it's the brushed aluminum?

PS: there was a glitch on the Juiced site when I ordered, that they didn't charge extra for brushed alum if you upgraded the battery to 19ah :). And I'm tempted to go all fogey with future components, with silver coloring (probably Velo Orange stuff).

I used goof-off to remove the decal on my titanium gravel bike. Should work for the brushed aluminum. There was some slight ghosting left from the decal and an Ultra Fine scotch bride pad removed that.

My primary reason for buying black was the juiced logo can barely be seen.

Last edited:
Back