Creo and chainring/cassette configurations

kattanm

As we know, it comes stock with 46 and 11-42.
I dropped to 11-40, and that improved things by narrowing the gear jumps.
I'm not using the 40, so will drop again probably to 11-38.
Of course I'm still spinning out in the 46-11.

Anyone else found a configuration they love (I have hills in my area)? Or anyone gone up from 46 in the front or down to a 10 on the cassette (if that's even possible)?

Disregard. I went from an 11 to a 12. The jump from 13 to 12 was negligible, went back to an 11.

As we know, it comes stock with 46 and 11-42.
I dropped to 11-40, and that improved things by narrowing the gear jumps.
I'm not using the 40, so will drop again probably to 11-38.
Of course I'm still spinning out in the 46-11.

Anyone else found a configuration they love (I have hills in my area)? Or anyone gone up from 46 in the front or down to a 10 on the cassette (if that's even possible)?

You need a driver freehub body (which is available) then you can run a SRAM 10t cassette no problem. You'll likely not care for the gear spacing as the cassette you'd want is the 10-42. Ideally given the 110 bcd on the bike is to switch to a larger chainring and a 11-36 cassette if you want tighter gear spacing and not spin out.

Kattnam, were you able to get the 48t or 50 T chainring? I feel 46T is not enough and I am spinning out on 46-11

Kattnam, were you able to get the 48t or 50 T chainring? I feel 46T is not enough and I am spinning out on 46-11
I ordered the 48 but is on back order. Hopefully not much longer.

I also find myself not using the 40 in the rear and ideally would swap to an 11-38 but cannot find this.

I was going to do some cassette cog swapping but decided the 11 spd setup was fine the way it was. I have new in box unused--

11-32 CS-R8000
11-34 CS-HG800
11-36 PG1170

If any interest in any of these I'll price at what I paid with free shipping to conus. PM if interested.

I was going to do some cassette cog swapping but decided the 11 spd setup was fine the way it was. I have new in box unused--

11-32 CS-R8000
11-34 CS-HG800
11-36 PG1170

If any interest in any of these I'll price at what I paid with free shipping to conus. PM if interested.
Thanks. If the 48 doesn't actually materialize I'll take you up on the 11-36. was nervous to drop that far as I currently use the 46-38 (but not the 46-40).

Last edited:
I would prefer lower gearing rather than higher gearing. I live at Brighton UT at 9000 ft altitude so regardless of which way I go (to Salt Lake valley, Park City, or Midway), I have a lot of climbing (and fast declining) to do (passes are about 10,000 ft). Midway UT to Guardsman pass is an 8.8% average grade ride with a short section of 13% grade.

Did 5100 ft of elevation gain yesterday. On the steep sections over 8-10 degrees, it is hard to keep up the cadence so that the motor is still in the power band (>60) even when in the lowest gear . I like to spin about 80-85. I find that the top gear is plenty high. I can go 33 mph before pedaling out (about 97 rpm) and at my preferred 80 or so cadence can still be going 30 mph (now unassisted of course) in the top gear. I think a 44 chainring, would be best for my riding situation. For those of you wanting higher gearing, you must be cycling beasts or have the need for speed and of course over 28 mph you are doing it on your own.

I would prefer lower gearing rather than higher gearing. I live at Brighton UT at 9000 ft altitude so regardless of which way I go (to Salt Lake valley, Park City, or Midway), I have a lot of climbing (and fast declining) to do (passes are about 10,000 ft). Midway UT to Guardsman pass is an 8.8% average grade ride with a short section of 13% grade.

Did 5100 ft of elevation gain yesterday. On the steep sections over 8-10 degrees, it is hard to keep up the cadence so that the motor is still in the power band (>60) even when in the lowest gear . I like to spin about 80-85. I find that the top gear is plenty high. I can go 33 mph before pedaling out (about 97 rpm) and at my preferred 80 or so cadence can still be going 30 mph (now unassisted of course) in the top gear. I think a 44 chainring, would be best for my riding situation. For those of you wanting higher gearing, you must be cycling beasts or have the need for speed and of course over 28 mph you are doing it on your own.
are you in Turbo mode when going 33mph? I can do the 24mph in Eco mode with 46-11. I dont know what cadence i generally do. does mission control app gives out this stat?

are you in Turbo mode when going 33mph? I can do the 24mph in Eco mode with 46-11. I dont know what cadence i generally do. does mission control app gives out this stat?
Mission Control will display cadence. On the stats screen you can long press on any of the data fields to bring up other stats to display.

Specialized just posted new S Works Turbo Creo and Creo Evo on their website with a 12 speed 10/50 cassette with Sram eTap AXS. I had been doing some research and had come up with a similar solution. I am keen to update my Creo Comp Carbon 11 speed GRX to Sram 12 speed with the same setup. Praxis states their 46t Specialized chain ring will work with the Eagle 12 speed chain. The S Works specs a 46T X-Sync chain ring on the Creo and a 44T X-sync on the Creo Evo, both with the same 10/50 cassette. I will start with keeping my stock Praxis but it is nice to find a chainring option. I likely don't really need a 50t sprocket as i rarely need the low gear, but I will definitely take advantage of the10t and electronic shifting.

I have swapped my Creo to an e-Thirteen 9 to 34 cassette, which fits on a XD driver. The front ring uses standard 110BCD, so I swapped this for 38T. I have better gears that the original, but at a massive weight saving. I not a fan of Praxis ring, so swapped to Absolute Black. The front rings with 110BCD are dead easy to find if you search for other brands. The E-thirteen cassette is available in 9-34 and 9-39

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210406-130108_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210406-130108_Chrome.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 566
can you explain how 38T and 9-39 is better gearing ratio than 46T and 11-42. thanks

Keep in mind that gearing preference is really down to the rider too, different cassette ranges and chainring combos have different gear jumps which is totally personal preference. Case and point my previous commute on my Vado 5.0 was about 17 miles. I wanted to maintain a particular wattage (rider output) and keep the bike at top speed (45kph) so I swapped to a specific Campagnolo cassette to give me a close gear range to maintain that. I'd probably never recommend anyone else do that unless they want something that specific.

This isn't a "everybody do this" type of comment, just a "this worked for me in this particular application" thought.

For my Carbon Comp Creo EVO, I had the LBS change the 46T chainring to a Praxis 44T chainring. They did not shorten the chain. The 2021 Creo models that come with a 44T chainring have a 4 bolt pattern instead of the 5 bolt that comes on the 2020 model. The Praxis 5 bolt ring is threaded and can be purchased from Praxis for $100.

I haven't been able to ride too much yet since but I think I will be very pleased. For some of the steep mountain climbs I would typically ride, for pitches over 7-8% I was looking for a lower gear to help maintain cadence (and motor power). Now I have it. On a few shorter steep climbs I have tried, it was great. On the top end, I don't feel that I am missing much. I can pedal to 28 mph on flats with a cadence of about 84 (measured with Mission control app). with the 44T, on a downhill I can hit 33 mph with a cadence of 105. From my previous post on this thread, I stated that my cadence was about 97 at 33 mph, so I am going from about 97 to 105 at mph with this gearing change.

For the riding I do in the mountains, this slightly lower gearing will be a blessing. I am not likely to be cruising at 28 mph on the flats for very long periods of time and above that without motor support why would I want to.

When I bought my Turbo Crel SL Expert, I knew that the gearing wouldn't work for me. I'd spin out at any reasonable speed with the 46T Praxis chainring. I replaced it with a Wolf Tooth 50T chainring. The Praxis chainring has bolts but no nuts, the bolts screw into the chainring, so used Wolf bolts with nuts. It all fit fine, chainring has enough clearance, and the derailleur has enough reach that I didn't have to use a longer chain. Shifting is just as good as with the original chainring. I live in the hilly SF bay area and all my rides involve many steep hills. The 50/42 gearing is not as good for hills as the 34/36 on my non-electric Parlee but I can still handle most hills without turning on the motor, and with the motor, I can climb any hill. I don't understand the reason for the original gearing. It seems silly for a bike that will go 28 mph, which speed I couldn't get to with the 46T, I just spun out.

Last edited:
When I bought my Turbo Crel SL Expert, I knew that the gearing wouldn't work for me. I'd spin out at any reasonable speed with the 46T Praxis chainring. I replaced it with a Wolf Tooth 50T chainring. The Praxis chainring has bolts but no nuts, the bolts screw into the chainring, so used Wolf bolts with nuts. It all fit fine, chainring has enough clearance, and the derailleur has enough reach that I didn't have to use a longer chain. Shifting is just as good as with the original chainring. I live in the hilly SF bay area and all my rides involve many steep hills. The 50/42 gearing is not as good for hills as the 34/36 on my non-electric Parlee but I can still handle most hills without turning on the motor, and with the motor, I can climb any hill. I don't understand the reason for the original gearing. It seems silly for a bike that will go 28 mph, which speed I couldn't get to with the 46T, I just spun out.
I respect your mods. I only want to say I can get to 28 mph with a 38-11t gearing on my full power Vado (the original chainring was 48T there). It is only the matter of your cadence (my max cadence on that effort was 110 rpm; I hit 29 mph at cadence of 95).

1632196255015.png

The max speed was 29.0 mph there.

Back