Creaking pedal or crank.

Kooler

I have a Rize Leisure. 1400 km. I am experiencing a creak from either the left pedal or crank at the bottom of each stroke. Has anyone else had this happen. Will replace pedals first to see if the issue stops.

I had one on an RX Pro that just about put me in the looney bin. I would suggest that if you haven't already, make double sure the pedal is tight, as well as the crank arm, on both sides....

My problem, which I chased for 2 weeks, was the damn seat. I finally noticed that when I shifted my (rather significant) weight just right, the bike made that sound I was chasing. A few minutes later it dawned on me that the seat was moving in sync with my leg movements. That was the moment I fell back in love with my new bike.... -Al

The usual fix for pedal or crank noise is to take the pedals off, check for bearing drag in the pedal, then grease the threads and reinstall. About the first thing I did with the stock pedals was take them off and replace with Crank Bros. brand. Square taper cranks have a tendency to creak too. Check bolt torque. If you have a crank puller take them off, grease the taper and bolt, and reinstall. As Hicks says, seat noise is often confused with crank noise.

I had a loose crank on my Rize X that needed tightening several times before the creak went away. I ended up having to go a little over the listed torque spec, but it worked and hasn't returned for 1000+kms.

But as mentioned, the seat post, seat frame (rails), pedals can be common causes too. Bikes have a weird way of projecting sounds from completely unrelated locations. lol

I had one on an RX Pro that just about put me in the looney bin. I would suggest that if you haven't already, make double sure the pedal is tight, as well as the crank arm, on both sides....

My problem, which I chased for 2 weeks, was the damn seat. I finally noticed that when I shifted my (rather significant) weight just right, the bike made that sound I was chasing. A few minutes later it dawned on me that the seat was moving in sync with my leg movements. That was the moment I fell back in love with my new bike.... -Al
I will definitely look into that. Thanks for the tip.

Another creaky Cloud 9 victim! That's wht I was running as well. Congrats on finding it!

Back