Crank removal

dpayne

I have no idea how to get started? I am guessing this is a cap but how to remove.

Attachments

• 20191224_193035.jpg
    20191224_193035.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 255
It is merely a plastic cap to protect the threads. The cap itself is not threaded; you merely use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry it out. Then you can thread in a crank removal tool to remove the arm itself.

It is merely a plastic cap to protect the threads. The cap itself is not threaded; you merely use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry it out. Then you can thread in a crank removal tool to remove the arm itself.
Thanks 8 thought that but didn't know!

Don't forget to remove the bolt or nut that is under the cap!

I know an engineer who forgot. Twice.

Don't forget to remove the bolt or nut that is under the cap!

I know an engineer who forgot. Twice.

Haha, yes of course. You have to remove the nut or bolt before threading in the crank removal tool. Also, on some older bikes there is a separate washer and that needs to come out also. Lastly, there are different sized crank extractor tools depending on if the crank uses square taper axles or splined axles.

Square taper is the most common. I like Pedro’s extractor tool with its own handle.

Google and YouTube were my school. There’s videos on every aspect of bike repair or building.

don't tell anybody but the last crank I removed I used a grinder...tool missing...it is the hard way..

Back