Convert front MTB wheel to Disk Brake?

prof_fate

How difficult is it to convert an early 90s v-brake MTB to a disk?
From some googling it would appear I dont' have the tabs on the forks for an optional caliper, but there are some tabs/holes/mounts there for something.

And how do you attach the disk to the wheel?

How difficult is it to convert an early 90s v-brake MTB to a disk?
From some googling it would appear I dont' have the tabs on the forks for an optional caliper, but there are some tabs/holes/mounts there for something.

And how do you attach the disk to the wheel?
I have seen adapters to convert some rear wheels to disc brake:

ADEDS 6 Bolt Bicycle Freewheel Threaded Hubs Disk Bike Disc Brake Rotor Flange Adapter (44mm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JREIQYG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_75ryEbJZV9NPA

And the frame adapter:

Fashion Life Adjustable Bike Disc Brake Bracket Mounting Holder New Bicycle MTB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019OML8VE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_U1ryEb6MT919S

The frame adapter can work on a front standard fork, but not suspension fork. I have no idea of the quality and stability of the adapters. As far as I know you would have to get a new front wheel, with hub designed for disc brakes. Another option is to get hydraulic rim brakes, with dual compound - high speed shoes.

Hydraulic rim brakes? I gotta go check that out!

not worried about the back brakes as they dont' do a lot, and the new hub motor I believe has the disk mount as part of it, I'll know when it arrives.

I've seen the fork adapters on amazon, f/r look to be the same. I was wondering about attaching the disk to the front hub...no adapters? Bummer.

ADEDS 6 Bolt Bicycle Freewheel Threaded Hubs Disk Bike Disc Brake Rotor Flange Adapter (44mm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JREIQYG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_75ryEbJZV9NPA

And the frame adapter:

Fashion Life Adjustable Bike Disc Brake Bracket Mounting Holder New Bicycle MTB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019OML8VE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_U1ryEb6MT919S

The frame adapter can work on a front standard fork, but not suspension fork. I have no idea of the quality and stability of the adapters. As far as I know you would have to get a new front wheel, with hub designed for disc brakes. Another option is to get hydraulic rim brakes, with dual compound - high speed shoes.

For the rear wheel, I installed a A2Z adapter on my Electra Townie. See the picture in this post.

It worked pretty good, but was a science project reinstalling when removing the wheel for maintenance. Since, I have re-laced the motor into a V-brake compatible rim and switched back to V-brakes.

Only works on specific frame shapes. The collar comes in a small and a large size. I bought one, but have never tried to use it. If it is an ebike wheel, probably won't work at all because the it has to mount aligned to the flat part of the motor axle.

I converted my Trek to a front disk, but I did it by buying a new fork with the calipor tabs, and a new wheel that could fit a disk. Fork was around $50, wheel $40, rotor $8, calipers $25, Buy a name brand caliper, like an AVid BBS7 that is easy to adjust, with replacement pads you can easily find.

Last edited:
Are disc brakes required for a front hub conversion?
Required? No. Smart about safety? Yes. Long distance road bike? No. Urban and mixed use trails? Yes. Single track trails? Yes. Can't count the number of times I come upon walkers who have an imaginary turn around point on the trail and do a 180 to return back to their start. It's taken some pretty hard braking a few times. And I much prefer disc brakes on both wheels, not just the one that can launch me over the handlebars!

Got it. I ride all manner of bikes, have about 10 of them. This will be my first foray into EV, and look to modify front hub on bike for road and gravel grinders. I also have 3 kids, and live on a big hill. I'd like to swap out their front wheel but not for $1000 each. None of our road bikes have disc brakes. But we go faster than 50mph on these road bikes as it is. Seems rim brakes would be fine, the EV use is for the hill to climb about 7 or 800 feet when commuting.

I’m with chalo. Rim brakes are 26” discs with KoolStop eBike pads. (Ducking the fallout)

All kinds of rim brakes, depending on your bike, I don't own the 2nd type, from from personal experience the foutth design works well.

brake_type.jpg

I used the 4th on my last scratch build. I added Kool stop electric bike pads V2. With properly adjusted brake assembly I feel more confident than with the cheap disks used by some. As disks go I like Avid BB7 mechanical disks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 1.57.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 1.57.35 PM.png
    201.6 KB · Views: 253
Back