Controller Help Needed

Amber777H

Does anyone have a picture of the controller used in a 2010 ProdecoTech Mariner G?

I know the controller is a 200W 24V but there seem to be several types out there.

Last edited:
My Prodeco Mariner G was recently vandalized and relieved of it's battery and battery mount, which means the controller is gone too.
ICan I use one of these other batteries? Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

@Amber777H You can use the next size up of Prodeco Tech battery and components; upgrade to 36V; just call Prodeco Tech (ask to speak to Luis in Customer Service) and ask for the battery, controller and throttle for a Mariner v3.5. Your 24V motor should handle a little more volts without a problem.

My Prodeco Mariner G was recently vandalized and relieved of it's battery and battery mount, which means the controller is gone too. My owners manual lists the following parts:

BA.PT.349A.B Prodeco 34.9mm Frame Battery Mount
BA.PT.249A.B Prodeco Li-ion Removable Battery 24V 9Ah LiFEPO4 16 Cell Battery
CO.PT.24V200W.A.S Prodeco 200W 24V 20" Wheel Controller w/ Quick Disconnects

I called the bike shop where I purchased the bike and they no longer carry Prodeco bikes or their parts. Then I contacted Prodeco but they no longer carry this battery and instructed me to try and find the battery on websites such as eBay.

Well I've looked, and looked, and can't find a 24V 9Ah battery. I've found 48v 9AH, 36v 9AH, 24V 11AH, but no 24V 9AH.

So what do I do? Can I use one of these other batteries? Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

If you're unable to locate the exact parts, call our shop and we should be able to help you get the controller and battery.

I can understand not leaping on the total rebuild with Prodeco, it is a costly deal and wouldn't really be able to offer a warranty on mismatched components. Since you are able to get the compatible 24V parts, then that will put the least amount of extra stress on your motor and current wiring harness. Given that this is a little older bike, then pushing the 24V motor to 36V will mean that the motor will be running hotter and thus wear out sooner. You would need to watch the amount of Amps of the controller since the wiring harness and motor will have limits as to what each is designed to handle. Too many amps on too lightweight of wiring can melt the wires and pushing the motor too hard most likely would cause a failure due to overheating or failure of the mosfets inside the motor. To give you a more specific answer, I'd need more info on the motor. It's best if all 3, motor, controller and battery match in voltage; however, some motors are designed to handle different voltages. I think this subject is a real good candidate for one of EBR's upcoming tech articles. Glad you're curious about this @Amber777H :)

Higher amp hours on the battery, like 10-12 amp/hours, while it is still a 24V battery would not be a problem, Amber. If you went from 9 amp/hours to 15 or 20 amp/hours that might be an issue. It would be the combo of higher voltage with much higher amps on the battery and controller that could be interesting. :). I would need other specs that would come from Prodeco Tech beyond just the basic info to be more specific. Honestly, if you have original parts available (and I mean a fresh 24V battery, not one that's sat around on a shelf for 2 or 3 years) at a reasonable price, that is going to be the easiest way to get back on the road. I still would take into consideration that this 24V motor is not new if you're still thinking about changing voltages to gain more speed. Gotta love a project bike!

I would get a 24 volt controller from Prodeco if they still have them, that way the wires will match up. Get a 24 V Frog battery from ebay.com or Alibaba.com. The frog battery has space for a controller and will mount on the frame beneath the seat post. It they cut the wire you probably need a handyman to rewire it, if you stick with the Prodeco controller the wire colors will match up.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/24v-...-Battery-for-250W-350W-motor/32379816124.html
You can try Alababa.com and find a 24 volt 10 AH frog battery for cheaper; it takes a few emails to get a shipping quote. (ask for a sample)
The bike won't look the same because the Prodeco has been using an extended mount since March 2011 but it will work. There are pictures at tthat link of the battery mounted on an ebike. My experience is 18-24 days on delivery. Anyone with Prodeco bike problems just email me as I am a Prodeco dealer

Dan

amber i am a novice and dont know much, but what about talking to luna cycles and see if they can come up with something for you??

are there no electric bike shops anywhere near you? would think those guys would know what to order and how to put it together

seems like any good rack would hold up a battery, so that part seems somewhat easy
and i know the battery rack/holder on my 2013 mariner is junk

ann knows everything, so if she did not mention luna cycles maybe it is a no go
hopefully she will chime in

@vincent & @Amber777H , Luna Cycles is a good resource and there are others, too. One bit of necessary info you need for that controller is the Amperage rating. It will need to match or exceed that of the original Prodeco Tech controller. You can find that info on the side of the controller box. If the amperage rating of the controller is too small, you can potentially fry it! Flushed money :(. I agree with Vincent that having a shop help you with the wiring is a smart idea; most electric bike shops do a fair amount of customizing, so call a few and chat about what you need. The gauge of wire off the controller & battery are usually heavier duty to carry the amperage and prevent a meltdown when the bike is under a load and pulling the most power.

Back