Considering the Yukon 750 for my first ebike. Need some advice.

al18

Hi guys. So I'm a complete newbie here. After doing some research I've narrowed down to the Yukon 750 for my very first ebike. I have a few questions that I need some help with.

1. Do any owners here have some real world experience with the mileage for the 16ah version? I might do some occasional 25-30 mile trips and am wondering if it'll handle it on throttle mode? I'm about 155 lb and the trip is mostly flat. If not, is it possible to buy a backup battery and carry it?

2. Can the speed limit be changed so the motor won't cut off above 20 mph?

3. Can it be ridden in moderate rain?

Thanks a lot!

sure some of the yukon guys will chime in

i dont know about a full throttle only trip of 25-30 miles but feel confident if you pedal at all you should get that out a 16ah battery

sure you can buy a backup battery, and figure there is a way to carry it somehow, others will chime in on that i am sure

i dont know about the speed limiter

i think most ebikes can be ridden in moderate rain

sure some of the yukon guys will chime in

i dont know about a full throttle only trip of 25-30 miles but feel confident if you pedal at all you should get that out a 16ah battery

sure you can buy a backup battery, and figure there is a way to carry it somehow, others will chime in on that i am sure

i dont know about the speed limiter

i think most ebikes can be ridden in moderate rain
Thanks! Also pinging other owners
@Barry S @harryS @ebikenewbie @KoryOZ @kaybee123 @Calicoskies

Ended up with a 2018 RadRover with 5 PAS levels. I'm 220# and I can tell you that I use PAS 1 and 2 during most of my commute to work because that route is pretty flat with 1 long upward slope that I'll use PAS 3 or 4 on. Coming home, I use PAS 3 and 4 because I go a shorter route with hills. I only use the throttle to get rolling from a dead stop. After 2 days of commuting, or a total of 30 miles, my battery level shows between 2 and 3 bars on the LCD panel. I could probably make it to work one more time, but I don't think I'd make the complete route home. I'm satisfied with 30 miles per battery charge. If I had planned on doing throttle only, I would have bought a moped or a motorcycle. I still want the exercise, but I need some help on the hills especially during the hot and humid summer.

Hi guys. So I'm a complete newbie here. After doing some research I've narrowed down to the Yukon 750 for my very first ebike. I have a few questions that I need some help with.

1. Do any owners here have some real world experience with the mileage for the 16ah version? I might do some occasional 25-30 mile trips and am wondering if it'll handle it on throttle mode? I'm about 155 lb and the trip is mostly flat. If not, is it possible to buy a backup battery and carry it?

2. Can the speed limit be changed so the motor won't cut off above 20 mph?

3. Can it be ridden in moderate rain?

Thanks a lot!
I have been riding the Yukon for about 6 weeks. Given your body weight and a flat surface I would say that a Yukon could do 30 miles on a single charge even if you did it throttle only. Even light pedalling will extend your range though.
Speed limiter can be changed on the control box via the computer but bare in mind that wind resistance increases as a square of velocity. Once you start travelling over 20 mph you have to put in excessive amount of power for very little gain in speed.
This particular bike is not made of sugar and can be ridden in the rain without melting.
Hope that helps.

I agree with Vincent answers. The no pedal thing would be difficult and hard to do holding the throttle that long. If you can pedal at all with the easiest gear than no issue and the pedal assist will keep the motor running without need to hold throttle. No cruise on this model like the KT controllers. Would wait on battery and add later if needed. Thinking about battery management and keeping a battery that you may not need or to switch back and forth and in the sweet spot of 20 to 80 percent may be a fulltime job. Extra battery in bag on rear rack. No bypass on the 20 which seems closer to 22 for me but either way no. Being a fat tire this is more for gravel or sand area, is that what you plan if not maybe this is not the correct choice. You can get more efficient riding on a narrower tire.

@Dynamo Dan @Calicoskies How do you guys feel about the pedal assist with cadence sensor? Do you experience sudden jerks when the motor kicks in? I've heard the 2018 Yukon has half twist throttle. Does it make it easier on your wrist?

@Barry S Thank you. I think I have an idea of the mileage now. I'm guessing ~25 miles on throttle only.

There will always be a slight jerk when the motor kicks when you start pedaling. This is something that some people feel is a big issue with ebikes in general. Personally it never really bothered me that much, and is something that I don`t even notice any more.
The half throttle works just fine but I wouldn't want to hold it fully open for miles on end. It would get tiring pretty quick. A better way to ride if you don't want to pedal would be to "ghost pedal". In other words, turn the pedals enough to activate the motor via the cadence sensor but not hard enough that you are actually doing any work.

turn the pedals enough to activate the motor via the cadence sensor but not hard enough that you are actually doing any work.
Do you mean switching to a lower gear so you're not actually putting in much work but still have enough cadence to trigger the motor?

There will always be a slight jerk when the motor kicks when you start pedaling. This is something that some people feel is a big issue with ebikes in general. Personally it never really bothered me that much, and is something that I don`t even notice any more.
The half throttle works just fine but I wouldn't want to hold it fully open for miles on end. It would get tiring pretty quick. A better way to ride if you don't want to pedal would be to "ghost pedal". In other words, turn the pedals enough to activate the motor via the cadence sensor but not hard enough that you are actually doing any work.

I agree with with Dynoma Dan, ghost pedeling is much easier than holding the throttle. I have gotten over the newness of the throttle and tend to use it on starts only, especially on an incline. I ride a Rad Rover.

As far as the candice sensor, I prefer this torque sensor on my wife's Specialized Como 3.0. It's much smother. With the candice sensor, it momentarily hesitates when you stop pedaling and jumps in immediately when you began to turn the peddles. The Specialized Como 3.0 overtakes my Rad 750w hub drive on steep inclines. If I were to to it again, I would go with a torque sensor bike.

Do you mean switching to a lower gear so you're not actually putting in much work but still have enough cadence to trigger the motor?
No. You can ghost pedal in any gear. Essentially, so are turning the pedals just enough to "fool" the cadence sensor into thinking you are cycling but in actually fact you are just turning the pedals and the motor is pushing you forward. Virtually no effort is required.
The throttle useful for starts and a quick burst of speed. Not really practical for prolonged use.

Last edited:
Also the throttle is full power all the time we can not adjust because the controller is locked. Likely much better to use lower gear or just ghost pedal and use PAS 1 and the jerk is minimal in my opinion. Holding throttle for 30 miles is not going to work.

I just recently tested the mileage on my battery. Over the course of a few days I logged 53 KM, or 33 miles, on a full charge. Im of similar weight as well. This is using throttle only, with the occasion pedaling just to get up to speed. And I mostly go max the maximum speed the bike will go. I was down to 1 bar but the battery was still powering the motor. I stopped at that point. I was starting to worry mabey the computer was not shutting down the battery before it got to low, but I could have kept going.
Also. Ive ridden motorbikes for a long time so the throttle just comes natural to me, and on my bike, it is very similar to a motorbike, Half throttle, half speed. Quarter throttle ,quarter your speed. and so on.
If you go for it, and buy the bike you wont be dissapointed

Last edited:
I just recently tested the mileage on my battery. Over the course of a few days I logged 53 KM, or 33 miles, on a full charge. Im of similar weight as well. This is using throttle only, with the occasion pedaling just to get up to speed. And I mostly go max the maximum speed the bike will go. I was down to 1 bar but the battery was still powering the motor. I stopped at that point. I was starting to worry mabey the computer was not shutting down the battery before it got to low, but I could have kept going.
Also. Ive ridden motorbikes for a long time so the throttle just comes natural to me, and on my bike, it is very similar to a motorbike, Half throttle, half speed. Quarter throttle ,quarter your speed. and so on.
If you go for it, and buy the bike you wont be dissapointed
Do you happen to be in Canada? I just found out Ontario limits the power to 500W so theoretically anything above can get you charged with driving without proper licensing? Although it probably never happens.

Do you happen to be in Canada? I just found out Ontario limits the power to 500W so theoretically anything above can get you charged with driving without proper licensing? Although it probably never happens.
yes I do. And Voltbike claims to put limits on the wattage for canadian customers, so south of the border your results may differ. and just to be clear, that's not the speed I was talking about though, but the mileage before needing a new charge on the battery.
In saying that though, on a full charge, which i believe is around 52 volts you should get up to 41 km, or 25 miles an hour, this speed will drop as you discharge your battery, and the volts decrease

yes I do. And Voltbike claims to put limits on the wattage for canadian customers, so south of the border your results may differ. and just to be clear, that's not the speed I was talking about though, but the mileage before needing a new charge on the battery.
In saying that though, on a full charge, which i believe is around 52 volts you should get up to 41 km, or 25 miles an hour, this speed will drop as you discharge your battery, and the volts decrease
I'm actually in Toronto. So the wattage is limited to 500W? I couldn't find any information on their website and couldn't get in touch with them on the phone either. Did you ask Voltbike about this? If this is the case I'm definitely going with the Yukon.

No, I have never spoken with them about it. this is from there website though

VoltBike Yukon 750 is using Bafang G06 series geared motor which provides 80 N.m. max torque and 750w pure power. For Canadian consumers the motor power is limited to 500w so it comply with Canada regulations

Unfortunately the bikes display does not com with a wattage meter, so Im just going only by what I read.
Someone else had said they asked for the unrestricted version because they travelled back and forth to the US. Voltbike agreed.
Id have to search for that though

No, I have never spoken with them about it. this is from there website though

VoltBike Yukon 750 is using Bafang G06 series geared motor which provides 80 N.m. max torque and 750w pure power. For Canadian consumers the motor power is limited to 500w so it comply with Canada regulations

Unfortunately the bikes display does not com with a wattage meter, so Im just going only by what I read.
Someone else had said they asked for the unrestricted version because they travelled back and forth to the US. Voltbike agreed.
Id have to search for that though
Ah I see. I'm perfectly fine with sacrificing a bit power for longer range. 41 kph is more than enough for me.

First the display does show watts just hit the power button a few times and it cycles around to the different settings. It does not show voltage. Second the current setting is adjusted to 10 for Canada and 15 amps for US. This is adjustable by user, not locked. If they remember to change it is 10 amps times 54 volts full charge or 540 watts.

First the display does show watts just hit the power button a few times and it cycles around to the different settings. It does not show voltage. Second the current setting is adjusted to 10 for Canada and 15 amps for US. This is adjustable by user, not locked. If they remember to change it is 10 amps times 54 volts full charge or 540 watts.
To adjust the current, do you need some special device or it's entirely done on the display? Can the speed limit for motor be adjusted as well?

Back