Considering either a Como 5.0 SL or a Como 5.0 - other(s) opinions?

GuruUno

Being disappointed with the Vado 5 IGH and still attempting to be a loyal Specialized consumer, my wife took a Como 5.0 SL for a test ride today.
I, think it's a great bike, but if it were inclusive of the features of a Como 5.0 (non-SL), sans the basket but the with the Shimano Alfina, + the rack, + the suspension + the belt (vs. the chain), it would be a no brainer.
The Como 5.0 with all the bells and whistles is chain/cassette/derailleur, but if it were a Shimano Alfino it might be a real contender for the casual cyclist).
I guess my point is, why would it not be prudent for Specialized to make available customization of models to suit the end-users specifications?
I understand the logistics of manufacturing, etc., but really?
Of course, anyone can buy a model and customize it to be their perfect dream machine, but why not out the gate, like everything else in life? Cars, computers, homes, furniture, everything can be customized to order....for a price, so why not a bike?

Just bought a Como 5.0 SL and I although I've only had a couple short rides (owing to weather), I am a big fan. This bike can really put a smile on your face - very comfortable riding position and all the motor I need at this point. I took the basket off in about 5 minutes and likely won't be putting it back on. At some point I'm sure I'll wish it had a bit of suspension and may look at suspension seatpost if that's the case.........otherwise the wide tires should do a good job of absorbing bumps.

Just bought a Como 5.0 SL and I although I've only had a couple short rides (owing to weather), I am a big fan. This bike can really put a smile on your face - very comfortable riding position and all the motor I need at this point. I took the basket off in about 5 minutes and likely won't be putting it back on. At some point I'm sure I'll wish it had a bit of suspension and may look at suspension seatpost if that's the case.........otherwise the wide tires should do a good job of absorbing bumps.
non SL much faster despite being heavier. many who have ridden both buy the non SL.

Yes, I'm glad I rode both - the non SL felt heavy and more difficult to maneuver in tighter spots. The SL feels like a regular bike and even without battery power is easy to ride.

To each their own, but for me the SL is far more playful and fun to ride. Easy decision.

To each their own, but for me the SL is far more playful and fun to ride. Easy decision.
Unless you are to ride into a significant headwind. Just saying. Each of these e-bikes has its up and downsides.

I'm planning my next Saturday 116 km (flat area) ride. My choice is a Vado SL or a full power Vado:
  • The Vado SL is easier to handle on the train I'm taking...
  • Headwind of 7.5 m/s (27 km/h, 16.8 mph, 14.6 kn)? The full power Vado and no two ways about it!

Agreed - it all depends on the trails/roads that you ride, distances and obviously strong winds. This is my first ebike and would I want the SL to have the power of non-SL and yet remain lightweight and agile - absolutely~ Hopefully battery technology evolves and we get smaller/lightweight and more powerful batteries in the future.

Agreed - it all depends on the trails/roads that you ride, distances and obviously strong winds. This is my first ebike and would I want the SL to have the power of non-SL and yet remain lightweight and agile - absolutely~ Hopefully battery technology evolves and we get smaller/lightweight and more powerful batteries in the future.
As @Stefan Mikes says, it depends on weight for some situations, like carrying it on a train or up/down stairs.

Here's my situation with either three flights of steps or a ridiculous basement access:

PXL_20220504_211420712.jpg

PXL_20220504_231003035.jpg

PXL_20220504_231054944et.jpg

Yes, I can see that......those are some serious steps..............you're going to get a workout just getting your bike outside and back inside after the ride.

I'm lucky to have level access to my garage and charging outlet - my wife's bike is heavy and we just leave the trailer attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    982.1 KB · Views: 232
Yes, I can see that......those are some serious steps..............you're going to get a workout just getting your bike outside and back inside after the ride.
TBH, I carry my grocery in panniers upstairs first, and the Vado SL next. Still, I was able to carry my 24-26 kg Lovelec touring e-bike three flights of regular stairs before I bought the VSL. I wouldn't like to be doing that again!

Being disappointed with the Vado 5 IGH and still attempting to be a loyal Specialized consumer, my wife took a Como 5.0 SL for a test ride today.
I, think it's a great bike, but if it were inclusive of the features of a Como 5.0 (non-SL), sans the basket but the with the Shimano Alfina, + the rack, + the suspension + the belt (vs. the chain), it would be a no brainer.
The Como 5.0 with all the bells and whistles is chain/cassette/derailleur, but if it were a Shimano Alfino it might be a real contender for the casual cyclist).
I guess my point is, why would it not be prudent for Specialized to make available customization of models to suit the end-users specifications?
I understand the logistics of manufacturing, etc., but really?
Of course, anyone can buy a model and customize it to be their perfect dream machine, but why not out the gate, like everything else in life? Cars, computers, homes, furniture, everything can be customized to order....for a price, so why not a bike?
The 2022 version of the Como 5.0, and 4.0, and 3.0 are all available with variations of an Enviolo hub and a Gates carbon belt (not chain).

I have a 2022 Vado 5.0 chain (non-IGH), a 100% perfect machine.
I have 2 2022 Como 5.0 'chain', (non-IGH) bikes (1 wife, 1 me), they are great bikes, but issues with a defective SRAM fork).
Personally, I'd stay away from the IGH model, it is my opinion that it is not ready for prime time....yet.

I have a 2022 Vado 5.0 chain (non-IGH), a 100% perfect machine.
I have 2 2022 Como 5.0 'chain', (non-IGH) bikes (1 wife, 1 me), they are great bikes, but issues with a defective SRAM fork).
Personally, I'd stay away from the IGH model, it is my opinion that it is not ready for prime time....yet
You’re entitled to your opinion, however I have had several eBikes (Reise and Mueller) with internal hubs, and I loved them with a Gates belt. I rode a Como 4.0 today, and i really liked it as well. So for me the hassle free aspect of the gates belt, and IGH is really great.

Hey Guru, I'm glad to see you went with the Vado. I just got my Vado 4.0 yesterday and I was a bit limited on sunlight and dinner, but I did manage to rip around again afterwards. I would have very much loved to get the SL, but as others have said, I consider the Vado to my N, and my 9 year old cirrus to be my N+1 as of yesterday. I wanted the extra range, and while I don't find the bike to be a hassle because of it's size, I know I'm making some compromises. I figure my old cirrus can give me the analog feel that I want.
I did a lot of research on the bikes, and while I only test rode the Vado outside, a Como in the showroom on a trainer and my wife's Aventon Pace that she wanted.... sticking with Specialized was a no brainer. I think the Vado is fantastic, and Im very pleased with the extra couple gears and bit of torque they have.
I also wanted to post as someone who has previously had the pleasure (displeasure?) Of agonizing over all the potential options of a recent Porsche purchase. It was a 718, so thankfully a lot less options than the 911, but so much of that was options for color, quality of material, and some other extras....it was not attempting to determine the sprocket, or number of teeth or other parts of the bike I have no knowledge over 😂. Picking out the interior bits and leather surfaces is hard enough, I don't think many people could properly discern exactly which components are going to work properly together. ( With that said, I think it would be awesome to have a sort of advanced consultation with a designer/engineer and coordinate a couple different options for what you want). Porsche has some 30+ models of the 911 now, what's another few Turbo bikes? 🤣
I hope you continue to love your Vado, as I know I will too!

PS - I did a lot of prior research and appreciate your and stephanmikes contributions to the forums. You did help confirm that the Vado was the one to pick.

Hey Guru, I'm glad to see you went with the Vado. I just got my Vado 4.0 yesterday and I was a bit limited on sunlight and dinner, but I did manage to rip around again afterwards. I would have very much loved to get the SL, but as others have said, I consider the Vado to my N, and my 9 year old cirrus to be my N+1 as of yesterday. I wanted the extra range, and while I don't find the bike to be a hassle because of it's size, I know I'm making some compromises. I figure my old cirrus can give me the analog feel that I want.
I did a lot of research on the bikes, and while I only test rode the Vado outside, a Como in the showroom on a trainer and my wife's Aventon Pace that she wanted.... sticking with Specialized was a no brainer. I think the Vado is fantastic, and Im very pleased with the extra couple gears and bit of torque they have.
I also wanted to post as someone who has previously had the pleasure (displeasure?) Of agonizing over all the potential options of a recent Porsche purchase. It was a 718, so thankfully a lot less options than the 911, but so much of that was options for color, quality of material, and some other extras....it was not attempting to determine the sprocket, or number of teeth or other parts of the bike I have no knowledge over 😂. Picking out the interior bits and leather surfaces is hard enough, I don't think many people could properly discern exactly which components are going to work properly together. ( With that said, I think it would be awesome to have a sort of advanced consultation with a designer/engineer and coordinate a couple different options for what you want). Porsche has some 30+ models of the 911 now, what's another few Turbo bikes? 🤣
I hope you continue to love your Vado, as I know I will too!

PS - I did a lot of prior research and appreciate your and stephanmikes contributions to the forums. You did help confirm that the Vado was the one to pick.
718 Porsche is a nice ride too. Unfortunately, those fine automobiles are so low to the ground that an old man like me needs to squeeze out of the driver's seat in a convoluted way that made me ultimately sell mine a few years back. Boy do I miss taking those corners at 90 MPH :)

718 Porsche is a nice ride too. Unfortunately, those fine automobiles are so low to the ground that an old man like me needs to squeeze out of the driver's seat in a convoluted way that made me ultimately sell mine a few years back. Boy do I miss taking those corners at 90 MPH :)
They are wonderful, I had an older 07 with the flat 6 that I loved, and I couldn't manage to find a 981 with the flat 6 that I liked the spec of. When the 718 initially went turbo, I was saddened, because no one initially liked the sound, and having already a turbo 2.0, I didn't want another one. The prices of the 981 climbed exhorbitantly....once the 718 came back with the flat 6 I had to make my move. Loving the 4.0, it is wonderful. I did go with the sofas, as the buckets are very tough to get out of, and somedays I do struggle with the ride height as well.

There are front suspension forks and the sun tour suspension seat post works very well.

Back