Comparing 250 watt Bros RX to 350 Watt Bafang

DouglasB

Just getting started in my search. Currently I'm looking at a Specialized, Vado 3.0 with a 250 watt motor and an Evelo Delta X with 350 watt Bafang motor. I still don't know enough to have a preference but am leaning towards the Specialized as it is a more traditional style touring bike that I am used to and is sold locally. What I'm wondering is if the 250 watt motor on the Vado is suffecient for a 210 pound person with twenty pounds of groceries to make it over a 20 - 30 mile, round trip route that includes some hills? That and how does the 250 Delta, with 90nm torque, compare to the Bafang with 80nm torque? Is the Delta actually the overall, better motor in terms of power? The Vado 5.0 comes with a 350 watt motor but is getting out of my price range at over $4,000. I'm 70 and ride a traditional road bike most days, so I'm not looking for a scooter. Thanks!

Suddenly everything has changed. Yesterday we were looking a couple of Specialized 3.0s and when I went back today to ask more questions and kick the tires, the owner took me into another, smaller showroom he keeps some stuff in and showed me two Cannondale Conto E Speed bikes. Woah, hold on! These bikes were $4,400 last year. They are class three and are more of what I would call an urban assault vehicle but Wow! Bosch 250 motors, front suspension, a little smaller in diameter rims (26) but a bit wider tire than the 3.0. I was having an issue with the 3.0 that to get it up to the 28 mph that it is rated to do, you had to peddal like a maniac, the cadence was too fast to maintain for much distance. The Cannondale at 25 mph felt much better, like you could keep up with it. If the wife likes it, I think I may have found our bikes. Any one think of any reasons not to get one? We were originally looking for more of a road, commute bike but these look and feel like that could do it all. Not quite as beautiful as the Specialized but handsom in a gnarly way.

Last edited:
I hit the steepest hill in town on my test ride on the Cannondale and althought I had to move to the second power level for an "easy" climb (4 levels of power), it worked satisfactorily for my needs. What I was more impresed by was that at speeds over 22 mph it did quite well. With the Specialized 3.0, going over 22 mph, the cadence was too fast in the highest gear. It would be difficult to maintain for any distance. The Cannondale was no problem and responded comfortabley, with a slower cadence at faster speeds. Both bikes are rated for 28 mph. I have read here that pepole with the 3.0 will go with a slightly larger chain ring up front to solve that issue. I'd be affraid of messing with the engineering of the bike, so I'm looking more seriously at the Cannondale.

Back