Nutty Girl

Do you use communication helmets? What type do you have? and what do you like and dislike about it?
Camera or no camera?

Do you use communication helmets? What type do you have? and what do you like and dislike about it?
Camera or no camera?
Recently bought two Livall helmets. Look like regular road helmets. Light, comfortable, adjustable. Works with Bluetooth and your phone. Has an SOS feature in case of crash it calls your contacts. Helmets can communicate with each other. Range is short though. They were on sale for same price as regular helmets. Speakers are good. Also has cool led lights and turn signals.

Terrano XT inserts. Work great, fantastic range, easy to converse, excellent wind noise cancelling, good bluetooth functionality, decent (but not great - lacking bass) audio with ability to hear surroundings. long battery life.

So far I am liking my Sena R1 Evo helmets. We mostly use the mesh intercom feature which has pretty good range. We don't really use the music player or phone functions. Once in a while I will use the FM Radio feature while at a rest stop. It works OK. Sound quality for radio/music is about what I expected ... usable, but not great.

Terrano XT inserts. Work great, fantastic range, easy to converse, excellent wind noise cancelling, good bluetooth functionality, decent (but not great - lacking bass) audio with ability to hear surroundings. long battery life.
This looks like a nice unit. I am seeing the range between riders is approx 150-200 yards. Would you say that is about right in your own experience?

This looks like a nice unit. I am seeing the range between riders is approx 150-200 yards. Would you say that is about right in your own experience?
That is the bluetooth range. They have a walkie talkie mode, which we use by default, that has a 1.2 kilometer range. Nice thing about that is that it is also duplex, meaning both can talk and hear at the same time.

Last edited:
My wife and I use ham radio handy-talkies. Works great. You could use some inexpensive FRS radios just as well; we just happen to have ham radio licenses so that's what we use. Way less expensive than the purpose-made bike helmet devices.

Sena R1 EVO working great for us. mesh intercom clear and wonderful no button to push to communicate, Hello Sena works for turning on tail light on rear of helmet. The bit of a challenge is remembering which function uses which combinations of fingers on buttons, which voice command, where phone comes in, and NOT being too close when turn on for ride or my Sena confuses with spouse commands. another relevant thread here covers more options: Smart Helmets.

That is the bluetooth range. They have a walkie talkie mode, which we use by default, that has a 1.2 kilometer range. Nice thing about that is that it is also duplex, meaning both can talk and hear at the same time.
Sounds very impressive. I like the design of these units also in comparison to others. Communication is key on any ride. Thanks!

@bob armani did you get the Terrano? Trying to decide between the Terrano XT and the Sena headset (not Sena helmet) as my wife likes her current helmet.

@Alaskan Any update, are you still happy with your Terrano? Any issues that have come up? This will primarily be used for intercom only mode, although if I start commuting this year on bike I will likely be listening to music!

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

@bob armani did you get the Terrano? Trying to decide between the Terrano XT and the Sena headset (not Sena helmet) as my wife likes her current helmet.

@Alaskan Any update, are you still happy with your Terrano? Any issues that have come up? This will primarily be used for intercom only mode, although if I start commuting this year on bike I will likely be listening to music!

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
No not yet. Looks impressive though...

Ordered. Amazon has them on sale for 15% off. Bike arrives Monday, Tuesday weather looks like a winner so hopefully me and the wife can get a ride in!

Back