Civante GPS/Computer mounting

Saratoga Dave

Alright, sports fans, anyone with a Civante knows the challenge of figuring out how to mount a computer - or anything else, given the oval handlebar shape and that weird assembly of display/controller/bell that wraps around the headstock like a freaking octopus.

Seizing on and stealing an idea from my friend Alaskan got me headed off in the right direction. He had found a handlebar extender that adds yet another bar to the whole thing, and I ordered a similar one from Amazon. Mine was a JKG Bike Handlebar Extender... there are several available, all around ten bucks US. I then ordered up a Quad Lock Out Front Mount Pro in a package setup that included an iPhone 7 case and spacers to fit about anything. If you have a Wahoo or Garmin, all you need is the mount, but whether it’s a QuadLock or other, you want the longer extended arm, hence the Pro version.

Lots of fun to put together! You have to unscrew and shove the existing control assembly out of the way to mount the extender‘s arms right next to the headstock, with the extender aimed down a good bit so it will clear the headlight. Once you get it all screwed together loosely you can wrestle everything around to where it needs to be. The end result of the whole thing is a nice clean position for the phone or computer (I am using Ride With GPS on my phone for everything, but may or may not go to a Wahoo).

While you’re at it, you can connect the angle micro USB cable to the Yamaha display that WattsUp mentioned in a recent thread and by golly, you’re all set. With theoretically dependable power to the iPhone I may be able to skip the whole Wahoo thing and just keep a spare battery bar in my bag for long days.

All very snazzy, just what I’ve been looking for. Why the hell the manufacturers have to junk up the cockpit with all this stuff is beyond me anyway... give me the Specialized approach any day. However, this setup is pretty cool and that QuadLock assembly is first class.

1617647698350.jpeg

1617647743769.jpeg

I have a wahoo/Garmin quarter-turn as a stem cap.
Not great pictures but it’s what I have right now.
3D03296E-681B-4239-85C9-878F0ACBB0D8.jpeg

F5B4B2B3-C0BD-4636-BE0A-5D199315D224.jpeg

All very snazzy, just what I’ve been looking for. Why the hell the manufacturers have to junk up the cockpit with all this stuff is beyond me anyway... give me the Specialized approach any day. However, this setup is pretty cool and that QuadLock assembly is first class.
Thats a nice solution! I totally agree with you; on my Giant, I ditched the huge screen it came with for one of their screenless mtb controllers, which syncs with my Garmin Edge for all relavant info. Note though that class 3s generally have to come with something that displays speed (legally most states require a speedometer on class 3 bikes). But on road bikes especially, most people ride with a garmin and you'd think they could come up with something more low key. This seems to be an issue on all road ebikes except the specialized.

Alright, sports fans, anyone with a Civante knows the challenge of figuring out how to mount a computer - or anything else, given the oval handlebar shape and that weird assembly of display/controller/bell that wraps around the headstock like a freaking octopus.

Seizing on and stealing an idea from my friend Alaskan got me headed off in the right direction. He had found a handlebar extender that adds yet another bar to the whole thing, and I ordered a similar one from Amazon. Mine was a JKG Bike Handlebar Extender... there are several available, all around ten bucks US. I then ordered up a Quad Lock Out Front Mount Pro in a package setup that included an iPhone 7 case and spacers to fit about anything. If you have a Wahoo or Garmin, all you need is the mount, but whether it’s a QuadLock or other, you want the longer extended arm, hence the Pro version.

Lots of fun to put together! You have to unscrew and shove the existing control assembly out of the way to mount the extender‘s arms right next to the headstock, with the extender aimed down a good bit so it will clear the headlight. Once you get it all screwed together loosely you can wrestle everything around to where it needs to be. The end result of the whole thing is a nice clean position for the phone or computer (I am using Ride With GPS on my phone for everything, but may or may not go to a Wahoo).

While you’re at it, you can connect the angle micro USB cable to the Yamaha display that WattsUp mentioned in a recent thread and by golly, you’re all set. With theoretically dependable power to the iPhone I may be able to skip the whole Wahoo thing and just keep a spare battery bar in my bag for long days.

View attachment 83973

View attachment 83974
Wow, that’s perfect!!

View attachment 83973

View attachment 83974
Where does the white Apple cable go to? I don’t see it connected to the phone.

Goes from the phone to the short USB cable that connects to the bike display for powering the phone. This bike actually puts out enough power to charge the phone instead of sort of maintain the level. Great to know for long days. I don’t think it was plugged in when I took that picture in the driveway.

View attachment 83973

View attachment 83974
Hey Dave, since you mentioned the difficulty of adding things to the Civante bars, I have to share what I did to help compensate for a bad back... needed an even more upright riding position then I could get with extenders, so I added on this kids bar set, and even though it looks funky, my back pain's gotten much better, .... but I'm sure you appreciate the pain of mounting it.
IMG_20210506_194648668_HDR.jpg

I have a wahoo/Garmin quarter-turn as a stem cap.
Not great pictures but it’s what I have right now.
View attachment 84043

View attachment 84044
Do you need to do anything special to use the Wahoo/Garmin quarter turn as a Stem Cap? I see two screws but the stem only has once screw in the middle. I bought a Kamoo 2 today so I hope your solution works!!! The pic is of the Kamoo 2 mounting on the back

Attachments

• 81E41D9A-184C-43A0-A426-8D44EB421722.jpeg
    81E41D9A-184C-43A0-A426-8D44EB421722.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 269
May I ask what model that rear fender is?

It's SKS Edge Aluminum fenders. They're really nice but it was a pain to fit correctly. The rear attachment where the chain stay meets the seat tube is recessed deep on our bikes so you'll need to fabricate or adapt something to be a spacer. And the front fender is made to mount to the front of the fork but of course the eyelet is on the backside of the fork. I had to bend the fender a little bit but it's aluminum so it's not too bad.

It's SKS Edge Aluminum fenders. They're really nice but it was a pain to fit correctly. The rear attachment where the chain stay meets the seat tube is recessed deep on our bikes so you'll need to fabricate or adapt something to be a spacer. And the front fender is made to mount to the front of the fork but of course the eyelet is on the backside of the fork. I had to bend the fender a little bit but it's aluminum so it's not too bad.
Thanks for the info. I was curious too. Trying to see if there is a good alternative to the Yamaha branded fenders.

Back