Chronic 05 error

Maki

My EVO27,5 2015 has bothered me with a seemingly random 05 error for three years. Sometimes weeks inbetween, other times two or three times the same day.
It usually occurs when I go at steady pace around 25-30 kph on paved roads.
My dealer has one by one changed possible erratic parts incuding motor, controller, display, wires, battery contact.. but the problem remains.
Any help on this issue is highly appreciated..

I have maybe 10 rides or less, my Nitro does the same. It blips the message and cuts power for a moment...

05 is a motor sensor error per the manual
I've read there are several internal motor sensors, like 6 of them, any one of them could be malfunctioning. They are generally replaceable once the defective unit is identified. Because there are several functioning together, the defective unit is not routinely in a position to cause the code trip, but when the motor stops at just the right spot, it will throw the code, and can produce the iregularity. Once again I've only read this, so have no experience.

That has to do with the Torque sensor model (prior 218 many issues) , the road quality , the ebike model(prior 2018 ) a too tall gear choice , and how slow you pedal.
Ex- bad roads+ slow rpm(50-70)+ 48/11 gear +older TQ sensor+ prior 2018 Bh = ERROR 05 guaranteed.

Unfortunately from what i know , you can’t replace an older model Tq sensor on a prior 2018 model with a Newer Tq model.

BUT you can pedal a Bit faster and choose your gears better. And go slower on bad roads.

I have 2 Bh ebikeS:

2018/2019 Nitro -ZERO ISSUES
2016 EVO wave - After knowing how it works , Zero issues now, but at first the regular Error 03/05/13 messages. The left hand display needs to be kept in great condition in order for the ebike to work flawlessly.

it happens on throttle also, mine is an 18/19 , think 18. I also have a brake light error in the display if I pull either lever and no brake light

when my motor is engaged it will only accelerate, it cannot keep a steady speed or slow down. If I try to maintain 5, 10, 15 or 20 it goes in a loop....reach speed, reduce pedal effort, continues to accelerate until the torque sensor disengages, starts slowing, pedal effort increases without motor, slows down past desired speed , more effort, torque sensor engages motor, motor accelerates reduce pedal pressure as speed arrives , continue reducing pressure passing desired speed and repeat process. When tq sensor engages always a jerk never smooth no matter the speed or power, less noticeable at higher speed. 1-2 times per 2 battery rides for the error on the display and momentary power drop

i have owned only Stromer , this feels almost like what I thought a cadence sensor would feel like to me, never had 1

it happens on throttle also, mine is an 18/19 , think 18. I also have a brake light error in the display if I pull either lever and no brake light

when my motor is engaged it will only accelerate, it cannot keep a steady speed or slow down. If I try to maintain 5, 10, 15 or 20 it goes in a loop....reach speed, reduce pedal effort, continues to accelerate until the torque sensor disengages, starts slowing, pedal effort increases without motor, slows down past desired speed , more effort, torque sensor engages motor, motor accelerates reduce pedal pressure as speed arrives , continue reducing pressure passing desired speed and repeat process. When tq sensor engages always a jerk never smooth no matter the speed or power, less noticeable at higher speed. 1-2 times per 2 battery rides for the error on the display and momentary power drop

i have owned only Stromer , this feels almost like what I thought a cadence sensor would feel like to me, never had 1

They have the same exact Tmm4 sensor.
I definitely do not have those issues like that. You told me before but I didn’t realized until now how yours rides.

Try to have the Center display , controller changed and the Tq sensor. They are all easy to change , controller is under the top portion of top tube . And wheel has Thru axle , easy to remove.

I also would put dielectric grease on all cable
Contacts.

Q- Did you get it brand new ? Not a Demo or lightly used ! Can not know who worked on it before and how they rode it, etc...

And also know the mechanic who wrenches on it, make sure is the best.
Now I don’t let anyone work on it , b/c i know how to Do it. Not many are really good ebike mechanics, they may pull the rear wheel out badly or who knows what else...

Mine rides very steady but in Pas 4/5 as you know is very responsive, it will pass 25mph very easy with light pedalling or 27-28 with 75-77Rpm( iput a 52 T ring).

I spoked with several Stromer St2/S/ 3 bike shop employees: mechanics and they said mine is more responsive , acceleration is faster(PAS 4/5) and easier to ride.
Is 56lb compared with 65-70 For The St5 i have yet to meet someone who rode both.

If you fix it , it will be a great ebike to ride and as you know it will also get many compliments and the obligatory questions :

“How much did you pay for it, Is it electric, Where is the motor, battery, how long does it take to charge , how many miles , where dis you buy it ???...”
Usually is 2-3 of those q’s but smtms. all of them😉. Those may be future ebr members , building the ebike world. community.

Back to the Nitro - The ebike Together with a Grin Satiator Charger (you can safely charge it at 6.2amps from 20-90% in under 75minutes), enjoy a light meal / coffee, then continue the ride😉.

No need for a 1kw, 12lb battery pack !

Update ERR05

3 days ago I was out on the trail headed home a little more than 30 miles to go. I had changed the battery a couple miles back when the 05 error showed up. This time it stayed on, no flickering. 1st I tried swapping the battery since it was the last thing which had changed. No difference. Disconnected and reinstalled the 3 connections by the handle bars, no change. One connector to go and norhing else to try before calling the wife with chase vehicle to come get me. I can ride the bike without power but not 30 miles after riding 30 miles. I touched the connector by the motor and it fell apart, just maybe this was it! I put the connector together and turned on the bike...normal, standard screen...wahoo Off I went. As I am riding I notice not only is the bike working it has never run better. The surge is almost gone between on/off power with the torque sensor also allowing some range of power when pushing harder on the pedals. i finished the ride home . I rode the next time and confirmed all good. i did notice once it turned itself off.

Rode the bike 1 more time yesterday, not a good report . About 15 miles from home it turned off on its own. Powered back on , lasted 15 seconds and powered off again. . This time it would not come back on. I played with the connectors again.started at the bottom this time, no luck. Found 1 connector loose ( I think) on handlebar , tightened and it started working. about 8 miles from home I get err 17, lights on but no power. 8 miles I can ride, head home. About 2 miles of pedaling it starts working. I go home as quick as I can. At the drive way I hit a bump and back to error 17.

I checked the manual no 17 listed. I charged the batteries over night. In the morning I tested the bike , still 17 on the bike. I played with 2 other connctors on the handlebar and the error went away. It is too cold to test ride and I am leaving the bike here in Ga untested til I come back in a few weeks.

I hope the bike is ok. When the 05 came on and it was fixed this time the bike turned from I wish I hadn’t bought this to I got a deal, it was an epiphany! Now I just hope with all connections tight it works correctly and stays that way. I can’t keep getting lemons

Looks like you had a bunch of connectors misaligned.

I suggest take battery off. Keep power ON button pressed for 10-15seconds to release any residual electricity.
Then unplug all connectors and then redo it. Unplug From motor cable going UP ! then plug all in from Motor cable.
And it would be good to put dielectric grease inside the connectors also.

I see that for a Short time you got to experience the real Nitro.

It could also be a poorly connected controller wires ? Is very easy to open and check. Controller Is up on the downtube on top of battery.
A drill set on low torque can make job fast.

And it would help if you can also take rear wheel off and readjust torque sensor. That is more delicate job. Reattach the TQ sensor , should be tight torque -2nm for small bolts , 5nm for big bolts . And also check the small Cable from Torque sensor going into the frame tube , it is connected to another cable, disconnect , apply dielectric grease , reconnect and insert it in the chainstay tube.

Looks like the bike was not probably adjusted in a few plAces.

If you do all those things i guArantee you the ebike will run perfectly happy just like mine. Lmk the outcome.

It is quite possible, even likely I let a connection loose while fixing the original issue of 05, not sure I left them all loose though . And the timing of the very first power off was before I had the 05 error but I am hopeful it is fixed. the 17 error came at a bump last time , implied connection issue?

also need to look into the brake light, is this suppose to work? I have an icon on the screen that appears to be a brake but no light comes on in the back, not sure if it ever worked

Currently the bike will sit til Xmas time to test, below freezing as I type

Last edited:
No , no brake light. The thing shown On display is just the ebrake cutting off power to motor. It signals like that on display.

I also got the 05 error. By accident I discovered that it happens when I accidently touch the display on the steering bar.

Back