Cheaper Shimano Derailleur on LMT’D.

My ten year old Specialized has a nine speed cassette and chain ( Deore XT ) but someone told me the new Deore starts at 10 speed. Thus smaller chain and is no longer correct with a nine cassette. IDK 😕
There is a poster here who has installed the Deore M591 on his700 successfully

Here is the Shimano groupset hierarchy for reference.

I recommend avoiding the entry-level groups highlighted below for the best performance.

View attachment 64394
I think I remember a poster saying something to the effect that eBikes use a beefier chain and anything above Deore won't work with our single front sprocket and O.E. chain. Deore, if I get it installed, I think will be a couple of steps above Acera

I think I remember a poster saying something to the effect that eBikes use a beefier chain and anything above Deore won't work with our single front sprocket and O.E. chain.

Deore, if I get it installed, I think will be a couple of steps above Acera

Shimano Deore will work fine with a single front Chaining and a stronger EBike chain.

I run SLX and XT groupsets on my EBikes and have never had any issues. YMMV. ;)

Ive been reading this thread with interest and a little confusion. In regards to the Deore RDM591 , I don't understand the part where the poster who installed this cut an extra inline barrel adjustment? Isn't the existing adjustment on the RDM591 and the one located on the shifter itself sufficient? Also, how is the KMC 8 speed chain removed from the bike, Im assuming a chain removal tool?
Ride1Up lists the Derailleur as
Shimano Acera RD-M3000 for the 700 series but my bike appears to have the
RD-M360?

The gearing on the Ride1Up website for the 700 is as follows:

Gearing
45T Front Alloy Chainring

Cassette
11-30T Shimano Cassette

Description of the Deore RDM591 is as follows:
Shimano Deore RD-M591 Rear Derailleur 8-9 Speed SGS Long Cage. Color: Black, Silver. Compatible with 28-34T low sprocket. Light shift effort. Versatile design (on/off road) Changes gears smoothly. Using Shimano's classic Double Servo-Panta mechanism. Precise chain movement. Direct cable routing.

SPECIFICATIONS
CAGE LENGTH Long
COLOR Black / Silver
FITS 34T max
MODEL RD-M591-SGS-L / RD-M591-SGS-S
MOUNT Direct Attachment
RANGE 45T
SERIES Deore
SPEEDS 8/9
TYPE Standard

BLACK UPC code : 689228295469
Manufacturer # : IRDM591SGSL

SILVER UPC code : 689228295452
Manufacturer # : IRDM591SGSS

Last edited:
"One more thing; you don't need an inline barrel adjuster, I was wrong about that. There should be an adjuster on the handlebar shifter. You will need to cut the shifter cable and housing at the derailleur, and there you will need a housing end cap. If you don't have any, send me a PM and I can drop a couple in the mail for you."

You do not need an inline barrel adjuster.

And yes, I used a chain remover to pop off the chain.

"One more thing; you don't need an inline barrel adjuster, I was wrong about that. There should be an adjuster on the handlebar shifter. You will need to cut the shifter cable and housing at the derailleur, and there you will need a housing end cap. If you don't have any, send me a PM and I can drop a couple in the mail for you."

You do not need an inline barrel adjuster.

And yes, I used a chain remover to pop off the chain.
Thanks for the explanation and kind offer, I really appreciate it.
I dont understand why I would need to cut the shifter housing near the derailleur? The reason I ask is because I changed my current frayed shifter cable without cutting the housing near the derailleur. When I did this, I cut the crimped end off, then pull the shifter cable out of the shifter on the handlebar. I then slid the new shifter cable through the shifter and through the existing shifter outercable. Once it existed the lower crank area I slid the inner cable into the black piece of outer cable that sits near the derailleur.

Thanks for the explanation and kind offer, I really appreciate it.
I dont understand why I would need to cut the shifter housing near the derailleur? The reason I ask is because I changed my current frayed shifter cable without cutting the housing near the derailleur. When I did this, I cut the crimped end off, then pull the shifter cable out of the shifter on the handlebar. I then slid the new shifter cable through the shifter and through the existing shifter outercable. Once it existed the lower crank area I slid the inner cable into the black piece of outer cable that sits near the derailleur.
The Deore M591 sits more inboard on the bike, and the cable enters the derailleur from a different point (closer to the top I think), so the cable between the frame and the derailleur doesn't need to be so long. I cut a little out of the housing that runs between the derailleur and the frame. If you're reinstalling the OEM derailleur with a new cable, you don't need to cut the housing.

If you are removing the derailleur, you can either pop the chain, or sometimes you can dissemble the derailleur cage.

The Deore M591 sits more inboard on the bike, and the cable enters the derailleur from a different point (closer to the top I think), so the cable between the frame and the derailleur doesn't need to be so long. I cut a little out of the housing that runs between the derailleur and the frame. If you're reinstalling the OEM derailleur with a new cable, you don't need to cut the housing.

If you are removing the derailleur, you can either pop the chain, or sometimes you can dissemble the derailleur cage.
Thanks for the explanation, would you happen to have some pics of the installed derailleur on your 700? thanks.

Thanks for the explanation, would you happen to have some pics of the installed derailleur on your 700? thanks.
IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG

I replaced my Acera derailleur with the Deore RD-M591 this past weekend and it was a simple replacement. I did not have to modify anything and the Deore was a very simple bolt-on replacement. Easy to adjust and very crisp shifting.

Thanks for the heads up on swapping to the Deore. Nice upgrade for sure.

Back