Cheaper Shimano Derailleur on LMT’D.

I ordered the derailleur yesterday. Soon as I clicked it I regretted it. Here’s what I was thinking.

A few people have reported that their chains keep falling off. We’ve also had reported things like, people putting their cranks not on the opposite of each other but the same way. One guy put his forks on and he wanted to make sure they didn’t fall off so he tighten them as hard as He could. He then complained that his bike doesn’t steer right.

Who knows how these two or three people out of thousands set their bikes up to make their chains fall off? What if the stock derailer works perfect? What if it shifts beautifully and I don’t need a new one? I should’ve at least rode it before I bought a new derailleur.

I could’ve spent 40 something dollars on something else.

Although mostly you can’t go wrong on a bicycle by getting a derailleur two or three levels up so it’s not that bad of a thing to get.

I am speaking from a person who hasn’t worked for months because of Covid so I need to watch what I spend. It’ll be all right.

I too will wait till the first "chain fall off" episode. But I always thought the stock derailleur was the only chincy component on the bike. When someone looks at my 700 and says, "that's the most beautiful eBike I've ever seen" and then he looks down at the Acera derailleur and wonders why says " wow-that's chincy". Or I could install the Deore immediately and not have to hear that comment. Many of these $1500 bikes are using Acera. Must be the single front chain ring and 7 sprocket rear casset (sp?). Today I ordered R1U's panniers. The basket I already bought was a mistake. Maybe I'll use the basket to display the Deore in.

I think I was just thinking to cheaply. The lowest I’ve had on any of my bikes in the last 20 years is a XT.

That’s why I said the comment about the Dore in the first place. I am an advocate of having good running gear. I should just be happy that I got it and not be so cheap even though Covid give me a reason to.

It would be hilarious if I got a bent derailleur. One guy got a cracked broken one.
It would be funny if I got a broken derailleur and the one I ordered isn’t going to be shipped until the eighth through the 16th. Ha Hah Hah Hah Hah Hah Hah

Last edited:
I too will wait till the first "chain fall off" episode. But I always thought the stock derailleur was the only chincy component on the bike. When someone looks at my 700 and says, "that's the most beautiful eBike I've ever seen" and then he looks down at the Acera derailleur and wonders why says " wow-that's chincy". Or I could install the Deore immediately and not have to hear that comment. Many of these $1500 bikes are using Acera. Must be the single front chain ring and 7 sprocket rear casset (sp?). Today I ordered R1U's panniers. The basket I already bought was a mistake. Maybe I'll use the basket to display the Deore in.

Maybe they make a Deore sticker you can put over the derailler! I was going to put a Cannondale sticker over the Ride1up logo.

My friends $2800.00 Dost Drop comes with a Altus derailler, Two of my friends that have E-bikes never shift. They find the gear that works best for them and leave it there. I tell them they can maximize performance by shifting but it's not important to them when riding and they have no problem keeping up with me.

Last edited:
Got my Derailleur yesterday. Man those springs are nice! What did you do about the stock 700 is a side pull this is a straight pull?

I think I’ll use the stock one until something happens.

The Deore is a "straight" pull as you call it; that is one of its advantages. It makes the derailleur sit closer to the wheel and thus it sticks out less so it's more protected.

You'll need to trim a couple inches off the cable and housing (do not cut the cable and the housing to the same length though; the cable must be longer than the housing). You'll need a cable-end crimp-on cap and a housing end cap (I have a few extra of each and could send you one if you don't have them).

Got my Derailleur yesterday. Man those springs are nice! What did you do about the stock 700 is a side pull this is a straight pull?

I think I’ll use the stock one until something happens.
Bike man..what did you do about the loose spokes?
B

The Deore is a "straight" pull as you call it; that is one of its advantages. It makes the derailleur sit closer to the wheel and thus it sticks out less so it's more protected.

You'll need to trim a couple inches off the cable and housing (do not cut the cable and the housing to the same length though; the cable must be longer than the housing). You'll need a cable-end crimp-on cap and a housing end cap (I have a few extra of each and could send you one if you don't have them).
Got the parts today. Thank you

I am new to this but everywhere I read about chain drops and different solutions. Do not understand why something like this wouldn't work :

Attachments

• Chain Guard.jpg
    Chain Guard.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 360
Here is the Shimano groupset hierarchy for reference.

I recommend avoiding the entry-level groups highlighted below for the best performance.

1599233059783.png

Last edited:
I took the liberty of posting your advice on R1U's Facebook page. Looks like there are more followers on Facebook than here. It was only 2 days ago that I realized it was so active.
OOPS!! A guy just reported on R1U's Facebook page it won't fit on the frame. I gotta wait till I get my700 before I buy anymore stuff. Already have a basket that won't fit, a bike stand that's too flimsy and a torque wrench that won't do all the values.

Last edited:
Alivio is now the best alternative for a nine speed cassette which gives you the strongest chain. From ten speed up the chain gets smaller and thus weaker. No?
This is all new to me I don't have a clue. Except when I was searching for a different derailleur, Deore was the only sub for the O.E. Acera.

According to Shimano, you can run a smaller nine-speed rear cog with Deore... and wider chains are generally stronger. ;)

My ten year old Specialized has a nine speed cassette and chain ( Deore XT ) but someone told me the new Deore starts at 10 speed. Thus smaller chain and is no longer correct with a nine cassette. IDK 😕

Back