Cheaper Shimano Derailleur on LMT’D.

tlippy

Interesting that Altus is used on LMT'D and Acera is used on the 500 & 700. Seems like the LMT'D would use an uptick model. JMHO

Not only that, but many 500 & 700 users are reporting that their chain falls off the front sprocket.

I attribute that to a inexpensive Derailleur on the back that doesn’t keep the chain tight enough. One of my first modifications I was thinking to get a Deore derailleur.

I found some super good deals on them, but I don’t know how long mine is, and since my bike is going to have a hanger, most say direct connect. Not sure if I can use that one. You had a good question, thank you.

Chris

Good thoughts. If you get the correct derailleur figured please post or send me a message. Wouldn't hesitated to change mine out.

I replaced the derailleur on the 700 with a Shimano Deore M591 SGS long cage derailleur, after the stock one got whacked somehow (maybe at the public bike rack). I think I had to add an inline adjustment barrel to the cable, but it is working good now.

Wow! Just finished a conversation with Shimano and the guy said u'd have to also change the cassette to use a Deore.

No, I had no problem with the Deore model number I used. It's a 9-speed derailleur but you can adjust it to work for 7-speeds. And it clears the big gear just fine.

Been searching for the M 951. It's no longer being manufactured. Only used. That means we're stuck with Acera. Expensive to change everything. The guy I spoke with from Shimano was suprised to hear about about "chains falling off". Thinks it's an adjustment by a professional solution.

I got the M591 from Bikesdirect.com . New.
I was searching for the wrong part. 951 in error. Ordering the 591 today, just in case. Thanks.

Not only that, but many 500 & 700 users are reporting that their chain falls off the front sprocket.

I attribute that to a inexpensive Derailleur on the back that doesn’t keep the chain tight enough. One of my first modifications I was thinking to get a Deore derailleur.

I found some super good deals on them, but I don’t know how long mine is, and since my bike is going to have a hanger, most say direct connect. Not sure if I can use that one. You had a good question, thank you.

Chris
Thanks to you, someone posted a Deore RD M591 SGS Long Cage was installed on his bike and it works. The poster installed it himself. Bought on ebay, searched for the part number and bought. $38.99 from Ronde-Cycling. I'm debating whether to have a bike shop do an inspection to satisfy R1U warranty. I'll then have the shop install the Deore. Or I'll try it myself and if I goof then take it to a shop.

Good job! I thought that was the right one but got caught up in my bike being delivered, not being delivered, being delivered.

The reason why I think it is the derailleur and not an adjustment is because the stock Derailleur has weak springs in it. Also a big key factor is even if the chain doesn’t fall off, many people report the chain just slaps around Hitting the bike. That’s the sign of weeks springs in the stock Derailleur

Good job! I thought that was the right one but got caught up in my bike being delivered, not being delivered, being delivered.

The reason why I think it is the derailleur and not an adjustment is because the stock Derailleur has weak springs in it. Also a big key factor is even if the chain doesn’t fall off, many people report the chain just slaps around Hitting the bike. That’s the sign of weeks springs in the stock Derailleur
And the Devore you suggested gets great reviews. Thanks for your efforts

I wish I could understand this. We have a person who put that Derailleur on a 700.

We have professional bike races in my town each year. The bikes go right by my apartment. The people that own shops in my town put the races on. They are very much experts and every person I talk to today says it won’t work.

It is not backwards compatible and the spacing in between the gears is different. You have to change your shifter, your derailleur the sprockets and all the stuff that you have to change is not worth going up a slight quality. It could be that the person that put it on his 700, what he means by it “works” is different than what the bike shop guy says “works.”

The one guy I trust the most, who has been in this industry for decades and knows so much says it won’t work. Totally blew my opinion of him lower.

I think maybe that you can physically do it, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to work the right way. Maybe like it will go into the other gear but it will be pushing on the side of the sprocket so it won’t go in perfect but it does physically work.

Sure wish I knew the answer for sure.

I'm the guy who put the Deore M591 on my wife's 700. I'm not a bike mechanic, but I know my way around a garage. The M951 is for 9-speed geartrains OR LESS, so yes, it does work just fine with the 7-speed. The shifter on the 700 is Shimano, so it has the same spacing between the gears as the derailleur. I did a lot of research before buying it. If you try to put a SRAM derailleur on a drivetrain with a Shimano shifter, you might have problems. And 10, 11, 12 speed derailleurs each have their own gear spacing, but the gear spacing for the 7, 8, and 9 speed cassettes is the same so one derailleur will cover all three cassette types. If you want to use a 10-speed Deore derailleur, you will need a 10-speed cassette and a 10-speed Shimano shifter.

Now most road bikes start at 10-speed, so when Bikeman asked his trusted mechanic, that mechanic may have been thinking only about 10-speed and up gear trains.

The 7-8-9 speed Deore derailleur works perfectly on my wife's 700. It's well-tuned, and shifts like butter. Does not jump off the largest gear, doesn't jump between gears, doesn't fall off the front sprocket. It was not difficult to install or tune. In fact, while I was waiting for the new derailleur to arrive, I took the Acera off my 8-speed analog bike and put it on the 700 temporarily, and it worked just fine too.

And FYI the derailleur hanger is the original one that came with the 700.

Again, the reason I changed it is because the original Acera derailleur seemed to have gotten whacked out of alignment and I couldn't get it tuned up perfectly. My wife was not having major issues with the chain coming off the front sprocket; it happened once or twice.

I hope this helps

This helps out a lot. Thank you so, so, so much!

He did say that the Deore is 10 speed and that’s not compatible. you did such a good job explaining everything, you hit on all the issues. Some people can say a bunch of stuff but not really answer the question. Thank you so much.

I really like the guy but it still does kind of diminish how good of opinion of him i had.

Wish I could’ve ordered this thing and had it in today because my bikes on the truck for delivery.

Thank you again for covering all the bases.

I'm the guy who put the Deore M591 on my wife's 700. I'm not a bike mechanic, but I know my way around a garage. The M951 is for 9-speed geartrains OR LESS, so yes, it does work just fine with the 7-speed. The shifter on the 700 is Shimano, so it has the same spacing between the gears as the derailleur. I did a lot of research before buying it. If you try to put a SRAM derailleur on a drivetrain with a Shimano shifter, you might have problems. And 10, 11, 12 speed derailleurs each have their own gear spacing, but the gear spacing for the 7, 8, and 9 speed cassettes is the same so one derailleur will cover all three cassette types. If you want to use a 10-speed Deore derailleur, you will need a 10-speed cassette and a 10-speed Shimano shifter.

Now most road bikes start at 10-speed, so when Bikeman asked his trusted mechanic, that mechanic may have been thinking only about 10-speed and up gear trains.

The 7-8-9 speed Deore derailleur works perfectly on my wife's 700. It's well-tuned, and shifts like butter. Does not jump off the largest gear, doesn't jump between gears, doesn't fall off the front sprocket. It was not difficult to install or tune. In fact, while I was waiting for the new derailleur to arrive, I took the Acera off my 8-speed analog bike and put it on the 700 temporarily, and it worked just fine too.

And FYI the derailleur hanger is the original one that came with the 700.

Again, the reason I changed it is because the original Acera derailleur seemed to have gotten whacked out of alignment and I couldn't get it tuned up perfectly. My wife was not having major issues with the chain coming off the front sprocket; it happened once or twice.

I hope this helps
Cash..Is it a 591 or 951? The 951's are hard to find. I ordered the 591.

Sure, no problem, Bikeman.

One more thing; you don't need an inline barrel adjuster, I was wrong about that. There should be an adjuster on the handlebar shifter. You will need to cut the shifter cable and housing at the derailleur, and there you will need a housing end cap. If you don't have any, send me a PM and I can drop a couple in the mail for you.

tlippy:
It's a 591; I searched my emails and found the order. Shimano Deore M591 SGS long cage derailleur. 9-speed. And my offer of housing end caps applies to you too. Just PM me with your mailing address.

Back