Charging Procedure

JGcycle

Region
Canada
City
Saint John
I know that I read about this somewhere, but I can't remember where. Anyway, this is my question: when charging the battery, do you plug the charger into the outlet first, or plug the charger cable into the battery first? When done charging, what is the order? Or does it not matter which order things plugged in and unplugged?

Yeah, it does matter, and they are all different.
Do what it says on the charger itself or in your owners manual.

If it doesn't say, then it probably doesn't matter.

If you plug it in improperly you can get a spark and a power surge that can damage the charger or the BMS of the battery.

20230309_101555.jpg20230309_101627.jpg20230309_101840.jpg

Last edited:
I know that I read about this somewhere, but I can't remember where. Anyway, this is my question: when charging the battery, do you plug the charger into the outlet first, or plug the charger cable into the battery first? When done charging, what is the order? Or does it not matter which order things plugged in and unplugged?
According to Rads manuals: 1. plug the charger into the battery's charging port. 2. plug the charger into the outlet. 3. After charging unplug the charger from the outlet and then from the charging port.

I found it. The procedure was not in the paper copy of the manual that came with the bike, but it was in the PDF version that I downloaded from the manufacturer's website--I knew that I had read it somewhere. :rolleyes:

I found it. The procedure was not in the paper copy of the manual that came with the bike, but it was in the PDF version that I downloaded from the manufacturer's website--I knew that I had read it somewhere. :rolleyes:

So how are you supposed to plug it in?

Into the battery first, and then into the power outlet.

Don't forget the unplugging procedure.

I keep forgetting and always have to check first. 😂 All my chargers are different.

My Das-Kit charger is UL listed and has backfeed protection.
I feel pretty comfortable using it.
(I just have to remember how to plug it in. 😂)

20230309_110751.jpg

I’m far from an electrician, but I’m willing to assume it matters, so one should do it in the manner specified in the manual for the battery and charger. There’s no harm in doing so; whereas there may be some harm in *not* doing so. In other words: I assume the instructions from the maker of the battery and charger would be more specific and better informed.

In the case of my Vintage Electric Cafe e-bike, the bike manual and the battery charger manual actually say different things. The bike manual says plug into the wall first, then the battery; the battery charger manual says plug into the battery first then the wall. When I called Vintage to clarify, they said the discrepancy seems to be the result of them having changed the model of charger they use since the time when the bike manual was originally written, and that I therefore should follow the procedure specified in my battery charger’s manual.

In terms of unplugging: my battery charger manual says to reverse the procedure - unplug from the wall first, then the battery. Again, though, this might not be the same for every battery, so I’d follow the instructions for your battery and charger.

Last edited:
The Zen ebikes guy recently posted a very extensive and thoroughly researched "white paper" video on the care and feeding of lithium ion ebike batteries. He has a degree in a related engineering field.

He said to make and break the charging connection at the battery with power to the charger off.

CORRECTION: Boy, did I misremember that video! At the very end, he says to make the wall connection first. Nothing about breaking connections.

Last edited:
You live long enough... You'll see everything. 🙃
I'd follow the instructions.

I'd say if it's printed right on the charger itself, then I'd follow those directions, followed by what's in the owners manual.

All my chargers say to "make and break the charging connection at the battery with power to the charger off." except that last picture I posted. That is a really old charger and I think it was for charging lead acid batteries.

Been doing this for a while now, and although my experience with electronics is not vast, I do have a basic understanding of some of it. My advice would be to make the 110v connection AFTER making the battery side connection when hooking up the charger, and removing the 110v before disconnecting the battery.

WHY? It's about capacitors and the HUGE amount of voltage that may be stored up in them, especially in the older rigs. Once you experience the big lightning bolt and associated POW that may be the result of incorrect connection order, I can pretty much assure you, that you'll NEVER forget that lesson.

I don't care what the instructions say. Capacitors are nothing to mess with......

Back