Charging iPhone while riding via USB port on Kiox

From memory of the early days of USB charging, your supply current depends on whether the data pins are connected and if they're connected, what they're connected to. It's possible to get a USB port to supply 100mA at most due to cabling choices and I'll bet that's what happens here. The solution to get 500mA used to be to tape over the data pins, nowadays it's better to leave the pins connected but with a specific resistance between them. If your cable is designed for the wrong connector but is jammed in anyway I'll bet there's a dodgy connection which will cause higher resistance on the data pins than you need to trigger high current output.

The previously mentioned Bosch cable and USB to lightning converter worked perfectly on 25 mile ride today. iPhone maintained a 100% charge level. Google maps running throughout the ride. Problem solved-at least for iPhone.

The previously mentioned Bosch cable and USB to lightning converter worked perfectly on 25 mile ride today. iPhone maintained a 100% charge level. Google maps running throughout the ride. Problem solved-at least for iPhone.
Mind linking the exact one for us? I think I’ll try again...

Copied from previous post (page 1, this thread)
I bought a Bosch Micro A – Micro B charging cable from Propel Bikes.
Available from https://propelbikes.com/product/bosch-usb-charging-cable-mirco-a-micro-b-300mm-html/
and used a HomeSpot 2-in-1 Micro USB to 8 Pin Lightning Connector Adapter to allow connection to an iPhone 10. This combination was successful in charging my iPhone. I have not tested the rate of charging while riding. I will do this soon and report back. But for now, it looks like you can charge an iPhone connected to Kiox.
The Homespot connecter is available here http://www.homespotdigital.com/home...certified-for-iphone-7-6-6s-plus-5-ipad-ipod/
and here-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F56NVD6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a $7 dollar O’wodo “micro usb to IPhone” on Amazon. It hooks up to my Kiox and brought my phone up to a full charge on a recent long ride. The O’wodo is made in China and it appears that its intended market is drone-related.
There’s the danger. The source may overvolt the phone and a cheap cable can short the system. 5v outputs can vary widely in amperage. Years of selling dolphin style cases with cheap DC-DC devices have a history of issues. Yup, somewhat isolated, but not really unusual. If you charge android or iOS devices and buy cheap aftermarket accessories it’s wise to take a bit of caution. A decent test device is cheap. I have to much invested in iOS devices to not use due care.

At last I managed to get the correct cable for charging my phone (Huawei Pro P20 apologies if not allowed to mention Huawei on an an American Forum) using the Kiox's USB port. Works like a dream.

Attachments

• IMG_20190906_090555.jpg
    IMG_20190906_090555.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 724
In the past, I've had apple 4,5,6,7 and 8 and non as good as Huawei Pro 20.An amazing phone esp the camera and battery life.

I found this cable that connects from the Kiox to an iPhone X with out the need for any adapter. I is a charging cable for a drone remote to an iPad so I don't think there should be any issue with over current on the cable. So far it works as I hoped. I bought the 29mm length cable

Kiox to iPhone cable

Has anybody found a UK source of the cable that instapops has listed above please? This USB Micro Type A is a rare as rocking horse sh**

Worked perfect for me. iPhone XR and Nyon. I rode the other day with Google maps and Spotify running in the foreground and a bunch of stuff in the background and it charged enough to keep the battery about even.

Marc

I use a micro USB-B to micro USB-B cable. Works, even with the micro USB-A slot at the Kiox. The cable is unidirectional for power though, so I have to take care to use it the right way around.

Wanted to come back to this long thread. I have a 2022 Trek Allant+ 8S, and anticipating dumping the current Bosch SmartPhone hub, and would like a new computer that's compatible with the bike AND can connect physically to the iPhone 15 Pro (USB C) so that it can be kept charged... I'd also like to be able to ensure data is populating in the Apple Health app. Thoughts?

Back