Charging iPhone while riding via USB port on Kiox

I posted this question in another thread but got no response.
I just purchased a micro USB to lightening cable to charge my iPhone via the USB port on KIOX while riding my new 2019 R&M Homage. The 2 units connect, but I get a warning pane on the iPhone saying that the Bosch device draws too much power and cannot be used. Clearly, I want to charge the iPhone not power the Kiox.The iPhone does not charge. I have tried this with an iPhone 8 and 10, using iOS 12 and 13. Has anyone been successful charging a late model iPhone via cable from a Kiox? Could you specify which cable you used.
Thanks

Only yesterday I was told by a R&M mechanic that Kiox does not charge your phone but maintains its battery level so in theory if your phone is correctly connected to your Kiox, your phone should not run of jji e whilst connected. But having said that, only yesterday my phone which was correctly connected to my Kiox totally ran out of battery.
In my opinion, Kiox remains a work in progress and its very far far from being perfect.

I've just consulted R&M manual and it clearly states that you should be able to CHARGE an external device! It also states that you would need a (Bosch) Micro A – Micro B Charging Cable.

You need a Bosch Micro A – Micro B charging cable.
Exactly!
usb_micro_a_b.jpg

Micro A (fitted to the Kiox) is so utterly unknown that almost everyone refers to Micro B as 'Micro USB' as if there were no other sort.

Micro B is ubiquitous; Micro A is deprecated. (In computing jargon deprecated means 'still able to be used but obsolete and best avoided'.)

How very Bosch!
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
At some point in the forums Court detailed what parts he used to assemble his cable to attach his iPhone to an intuvia display. I’m sorry I don’t have the link but I did save the part list in my Amazon wish list. I haven’t tried it yet. My Homage won’t arrive for another week or so.
https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Compatible-Kindle-Android-Tablet/dp/B01M5GZ3N0

The description says a micro usb to micro usb OTG cable is for charging devices from other devices. OTG means “on the go” and I assume is the same as micro usb A.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified‧-Lightning-HomeSpot-Connectors-Converters/dp/B01F56NVD6

From what I can tell, both the Intuvia and Nyon do not provide enough current at their charge port to even keep a modern iPhone battery level, let alone charge it. This is most likely a hardware limitation and I do not expect software to improve it. I have taken to strapping a usb external battery pack to my bike for charging my phone while riding.

The more appropriate question is the amount of current available at that port. I found one discussion stating 5v, at 1amp. I don’t know the minimum for charging a phone.

It’s definitely not 1A. At best it might be 500 mA, but even then with my Nyon it often stops charging after it starts, indicating it can’t even handle whatever current limit they set.

tl;dr - ignore all promises from Bosch regarding charging your phone on Bosch bikes because for the majority of users, it simply doesn’t work.

Simply ridiculous that Bosch, a well known German company, seems to be incapable of creating reliable displays that do what they're supposed to do. Not enough research or testing has gone into their displays. We are basically the guinea pigs.

Simply ridiculous that Bosch, a well known German company, seems to be incapable of creating reliable displays that do what they're supposed to do. Not enough research or testing has gone into their displays. We are basically the guinea pigs.

We are indeed the guinea pigs, paying for the privilege. Bosch is essentially resting on their laurels. Soon China will destroy their profit margins and they'll have to properly compete again. Here's hoping they don't simply exit the market altogether in protest when that eventually happens.

I posted this question in another thread but got no response.
I just purchased a micro USB to lightening cable to charge my iPhone via the USB port on KIOX while riding my new 2019 R&M Homage. The 2 units connect, but I get a warning pane on the iPhone saying that the Bosch device draws too much power and cannot be used. Clearly, I want to charge the iPhone not power the Kiox.The iPhone does not charge. I have tried this with an iPhone 8 and 10, using iOS 12 and 13. Has anyone been successful charging a late model iPhone via cable from a Kiox? Could you specify which cable you used.
Thanks
personally , i wouldn't attach my phone to the Kiox, I run a lime fuel battery pack which i then use to charge my phone , mp3 etc

I NEVER use my system ports to charge without checking. I have seen batteries that put out higher amp ratings than my iPhone is happy with. As always the devil is in the details. And being anal retentive I test ALL USB charge ports with an inexpensive meter.

OR the better tool, $20 from Banggood.
USB Power Meter, MakerHawk UM25C USB Voltmeter, Bluetooth Type C USB Tester Meter USB Voltage Meter and Current Tester, 1.44inch 5A Color LCD Display Power...

I also use to check cheaper aftermarket chargers for my iDevices.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 6.19.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 6.19.06 PM.png
    325.6 KB · Views: 911
I have seen batteries that put out higher amp ratings than my iPhone is happy with.

What you say is patently untrue. Your phone (and all consumer electronics) cares not about an overabundance of amps. Only an overabundance of voltage. Or too little current (amps). These devices draw as much current as they need and no more.

Some bikes have 12V available for after market lights.

If your bike has 12V out from the battery you can connect a 12V cigarrette lighter USB port adapter (~$10) from Amazon, Walmart, Target.

I charge my iPhone this way while riding.

More gadgets to carry around with me when cycling. I think we are getting away from the subject. We were discussing whether or not Kiox was capable of charging a phone and I think weʼve reached the conclusion that its a resounding "no". Of course there are devices that can be used to charge a battery but that's not the point here. We paid good money to be sold a device that inter alia charged an external device like a phone but going by the comments here no one has been able to do so.

Problem solved!! I think.
I bought a Bosch Micro A – Micro B charging cable from Propel Bikes.
Available from https://propelbikes.com/product/bosch-usb-charging-cable-mirco-a-micro-b-300mm-html/
and used a HomeSpot 2-in-1 Micro USB to 8 Pin Lightning Connector Adapter to allow connection to an iPhone 10. This combination was successful in charging my iPhone. I have not tested the rate of charging while riding. I will do this soon and report back. But for now, it looks like you can charge an iPhone connected to Kiox.
The Homespot connecter is available here http://www.homespotdigital.com/home...certified-for-iphone-7-6-6s-plus-5-ipad-ipod/
and here-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F56NVD6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back