Changing to a different Rad bike…good move?

I have owned my Rad Rover for approximately four years with a little over 3,000 miles on it. I generally like the bike very much. Recently I had the opportunity to ride a Rad City ebike and was pleasantly surprised with it’s “get up and go”. I’m now considering selling my Rad Rover and buying a new City. I mostly ride on pavement and crushed rock. Do you think this is a mistake?

Nope. I see plenty of regular bikers on packed down gravel. and I ride it w/o concern on non-fat tires. Loose gravel ,,, I don't even like it on fat tires.

Don't care for the fatty's myself. The newest City, with the geared hub motor, a much better plan for me. MUCH lighter feel.

Screenshot_20221003-121718_Chrome.jpg
Gravel rider👍

I’ve owned a lot of non electric bikes, one was an expensive Gary Fisher 29er mtn bike that was squirrely. Took me about 6 trail rides to feel safe on it and I’m 6’5. When I first rode the city I liked the boost but after hanging a few 90 degree turns on roads at 18-19 mph I was amazed. After a few years of riding it a car pulled out suddenly on a side road that was parked facing the wrong way, on my side of the road and on my right. I was going about 20 and knew that attempting hard braking was going to be 50/50 and swerving left might be where she was going to end up. So I made a hard right between the car and the curb, missing her and the curb by a foot. I have 54 years experience riding bikes in an aggressive manner but I have to credit the Radcity a lot for giving me the confidence to make that maneuver.

I’ve owned a lot of non electric bikes, one was an expensive Gary Fisher 29er mtn bike that was squirrely. Took me about 6 trail rides to feel safe on it and I’m 6’5. When I first rode the city I liked the boost but after hanging a few 90 degree turns on roads at 18-19 mph I was amazed. After a few years of riding it a car pulled out suddenly on a side road that was parked facing the wrong way, on my side of the road and on my right. I was going about 20 and knew that attempting hard braking was going to be 50/50 and swerving left might be where she was going to end up. So I made a hard right between the car and the curb, missing her and the curb by a foot. I have 54 years experience riding bikes in an aggressive manner but I have to credit the Radcity a lot for giving me the confidence to make that maneuver.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I was in Denver over the weekend and test rode several Rad models at their pop up location. I really like the direct drive motor and at this point think I’ll opt for the City 4 rather than the City Plus 5. Now, on to sell my Rad Rover…any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I was in Denver over the weekend and test rode several Rad models at their pop up location. I really like the direct drive motor and at this point think I’ll opt for the City 4 rather than the City Plus 5. Now, on to sell my Rad Rover…any suggestions?
Facebook Marketplace seems to be the most popular for non tool, non farm type stuff. The DD motor is nice and quiet plus you can always put a Bolton upgrade on it like I did. With the upgrade, once a hill causes you less than about 12 mph for more than 50ft it’s best to walk it up to prevent burning out something.

Statorade or Statorade and Hubsinks and ride!
Statorade is not without a downside.....

I'm feeling the need to bring up the fact that installing Statorade in a direct drive motor will help keep them cool, but it is not for the faint of heart. The motor would need to be removed, disassembled, and a port to add/check the level would need to be installed. They don't come with one.

Then there's also the potential for leakage.

Last edited:
Another thing going from fat to Radcity is you have to keep Radcity tires at 55 to 65 psi or more stress is put on the wheel and spokes. Also more prone to a flat with low psi.

Statorade is not without a downside.....

I'm feeling the need to bring up the fact that installing Statorade in a direct drive motor will help keep them cool, but it is not for the faint of heart. The motor would need to be removed, disassembled, and a port to add/check the level would need to be installed. They don't come with one.

Then there's also the potential for leakage.
Removing a side cover is no big deal!
My 9C has a port, but adding a port shouldn't be out of the skill level of someone buying a OEM direct bike and installing an upgrade kit. We're not talking about transmission fluid here!

Another thing going from fat to Radcity is you have to keep Radcity tires at 55 to 65 psi or more stress is put on the wheel and spokes. Also more prone to a flat with low psi.
That's an interesting point. I went along with this thinking for quite a while. I found the bike rides like a roller skate at those inflations, and I had read about the Schwalbe balloon types. I installed a set of 26x2.4" Schwalbe Super Moto X (they fit just fine) replacing a set of Marathons, and because they can be ridden down to about 30psi, there's was a HUGE difference in ride!

Removing a side cover is no big deal!
My 9C has a port, but adding a port shouldn't be out of the skill level of someone buying a OEM direct bike and installing an upgrade kit. We're not talking about transmission fluid here!
You're saying you believe that Rad is using a 9c?

I agree on the difficulty of adding the port, I guess I was thinking of those that might struggle with tools, a place to work, and time to mess with such things, when many are concerned about their ability to just prep a bike properly?

You're saying you believe that Rad is using a 9c?

I agree on the difficulty of adding the port, I guess I was thinking of those that might struggle with tools, a place to work, and time to mess with such things, when many are concerned about their ability to just prep a bike properly?
Maybe so. I was a horticulture guy. But did wrench on VW aircooled. But never considered myself mechanically inclined. Over the past decade YouTube has transformed my ability to take in far more complex projects than i ever imagined. I guess i think most can do a wide range of projects with decent research common sense and patience.
Oh and no im not suggesting Rad used a 9C just pointing out the product has gained wider use because its very effective.

I’m wondering if there is someone out there in the opposite position from me. Someone who has a Rad City and desires a Rad Rover? Would it be appropriate on this site to ask if someone wants to discuss a swap? If so, should I create a new thread?

I’m wondering if there is someone out there in the opposite position from me. Someone who has a Rad City and desires a Rad Rover? Would it be appropriate on this site to ask if someone wants to discuss a swap? If so, should I create a new thread?
You should post that proposal here:

You can't get if you don't ask👍

Back