Changing my cassette

John Thompson

My bike currently has a SRAM 11/42 cassette ... I'd like a bigger granny gear, maybe 48 or 52 teeth, but I am sure there is more to it than just buying one. Can someone fill me in on what this would entail? Recalibrating/indexing with the shifter? Compatibility issues? Help a noob out.

You'll need at minimum a longer chain and a longer derailleur takeup (arm). If your frame will allow this big a cassette. Many will not. You'll need a park tool to remove the cassette, that snaps on the end of a 1/2" x 12"(or more) breaker bar, and something to hold the sprocket teeth still. Some use a special chain whip, I use a length of old chain and a 30" channlock plier. Most cassettes after more than 6 months are so rusted on you'll never get them off. I never did, not even with a propane torch for heat. Changing the derailleur takeup will require resetting all the adjustments. Take this job on only if you know what you are doing.

Looked through your posts; you have a Juggernaut? It would be an expensive proposition, because you would have to change just about everything. The only company that I can think of that makes a 9 speed system with a 50T low gear is Box Components. Their Box Three Prime 9 E-bike groupset of shifter, derailleur, cassette, and chain is about $200.

You'd definitely need a longer chain. Not sure how the derailleur will like that chain length range if you find a 52. That's a lot of travel, but I have no experience with that tall of gear.

Looked through your posts; you have a Juggernaut? It would be an expensive proposition, because you would have to change just about everything. The only company that I can think of that makes a 9 speed system with a 50T low gear is Box Components. Their Box Three Prime 9 E-bike groupset of shifter, derailleur, cassette, and chain is about $200.
BOX components are good quality, but yes more $$$, not to mention the longer chain and extended derailleur arm.

Back