Cargoline - Shimano Cues upgrade

alfred_pennyworth

Region
Australia
Hi, I have a Cube Cargo Sport which comes with a Gen4 Cargoline motor and Shimano Deore 1x10 gearing. I am considering replacing the Deore with the new Shimano Cues Linkglide (probably 1x10, maybe 1x11). Main reason is for better shifting under load and slightly closer great ratios in the top 4 gears.

I have read that changing great ratios, you may need to get a dealer to update the motor configuration to avoid errors. Current gearing is 11-46t cassette. The Cues gearing is 11-48t, is this likely to cause issues in the low gear if I don't update the configuration?

Also considering changing the front ring from a 38t to a 42t as I spend most of my time in the top 3 gears, so this would allow me to spend more time in the middle of the cassette and also not spin out as easily on the downhills. Would changing to 42t (or even a 44t) cause an error on the display unit?

Thanks in advance

I've also heard that changing the size of the front ring can cause an error code on the display. When I went with a larger front ring on my Cannondale Lefty 3, with the Bosch Gen 4 motor, I had the bike shop I bought the the bike from to it, just to be safe. Another poster on their forum, with the same bike, also changed his front ring, on his own, and never got a code.

I've also heard that changing the size of the front ring can cause an error code on the display.
Just don't listen to all the BS you hear.
You have no idea what I heard the past 12 years with the Bosch motors. Sometimes you just cannot make things up.
It's like there are still people that beleive the earth is flat. Everyone has their own opinion and is free to believe whatever they hear.

is this likely to cause issues in the low gear if I don't update the configuration?
No.
And BTW, you cannot update the configuration. And Bosch won't do that for you.

I've also heard that changing the size of the front ring can cause an error code on the display. When I went with a larger front ring on my Cannondale Lefty 3, with the Bosch Gen 4 motor, I had the bike shop I bought the the bike from to it, just to be safe. Another poster on their forum, with the same bike, also changed his front ring, on his own, and never got a code.
when I had mine changed the mechanic could not find anything about chainring size so maybe bosch got rid of that.

when I had mine changed the mechanic could not find anything about chainring size so maybe bosch got rid of that.
That only was an issue when you created a 1:1 gear ratio 10 years ago - to prevent the "magnet on the crank" tuning.
So that was before anyone in the US even heard of "pedal assist".

No.
And BTW, you cannot update the configuration. And Bosch won't do that for you.
Thanks, I couldn't see a change from 46t to 48t making a difference, I don't even use the low gear ever yet.

I'm aware that I can't change the config, a couple posts I read here from the Bosch dude indicated a dealer can do the change with permission from Cube/Bosch 🤷‍♂️

Either way I'm 70% that I will get the shop to install the new gearing because I don't have a heap of time and the cable routing looks like a PIA.

a couple posts I read here from the Bosch dude indicated a dealer can do the change with permission from Cube/Bosch 🤷‍♂️
You can read a lot of BS here. Or you misunderstood what he was saying.
No dealer can do that.

There are exceptions when Bosch or a representative from a bike manufacturer can do this in case there is an issue with the installed software container.
They can do this remotely on a dealer's computer. When they do it, the computer is locked for any input. So the dealer can only watch an authorized person doing it.

Last edited:
Back