Chain wear gauge?

Timely thread for me. I was putting a TSDZ2 mid drive back on my Schwinn Hybrid bike for a few hundred miles of riding in eastern Oregon starting this coming weekend and this thread prompted me to check it for wear. KMC X8 chain used with and without the TSDZ2 on it, not sure of age or mileage but the bike is about 15 years old with thousands of miles on it and I recall this is the second chain ever on this bike. Chain wear gauge slipped in easily at both 0.75 and 1. Had enough time to order another chain to be delivered today. 11 speed chain on my Yamaha mid drive bike didn't show significant wear in couple thousand miles of riding when last checked.

I remember “back in the day” when I was growing up, 60’s and 70’s they made three speed bikes that shifted inside the rear hub.
They also made a two speed internally shifted, by pedalling backward to shift to the opposite gear. It was called a kickback shifter, and it had a coaster brake. I used to have a few of them. There were 3 versions, based on the color of stripes around the hub. Red, yellow, or blue.

They still make 2 speed kickback coaster brake hubs and 3 speed IGH hubs so not a "back in the day" thing.
Sturmey Archer
and copies of the Bendix 2 speed color banded hubs
1657332906511.png

I will need to relearn how to properly apply rear brake If I were to install it on my bike.
To be honest I do miss riding an Enduro motorcycle. Left is Front brake, right is clutch, foot pedal rear is brake.

You might need to relearn the motorbike as well ?

Thanks, guys, this is so much more information than I found online on other sources. I was all set to go to the LBS a month or two ago due to chain slip, but-- after learning how to adjust both limit screws, C screw and cable tension-- turned out to be a loose quick release. Which seems to need to be very tight, it kept working loose until I locked it down a bit tighter than I usually do on my acoustics. 26 mile ride with 2,700 feet of vertical this week and no problems.

I just got a Park tool, but with 1,000 miles on the clock and only a 40nm motor, I doubt I need it. Time to check anyway.

I actually has a 1970s Raleigh 3 speed internal hub that was very light-- 531 Reynolds all around-- and had three internal gears. The spread was not enough for me, and I wanted to have a real 10-speed, so we ADDED a derailleur and 3 external gears... 9 speed, close enough! So I shifted the internal ones coasting and the external ones cranking.

Learn something new every day, with the help of forum members. I’ve been wondering how to monitor chain wear but hadn’t yet researched it.

I just ordered the Park CC-4, which Park recommends for my SRAM AXS Eagle 12-speed. I only have 400 miles on the Creo, but it’ll be here when needed.

60628B99-A76C-43F1-8B19-299FA545763F.jpeg

Gotta have a tool to measure chain stretch.
I have r&r chains based on riding 20 -25 miles daily at 3 months interval.
Like your bike BTW.
I can't help but reminisced.
When I was attacking descends reaching 50+ mph.

50+…..LOL, I haven’t been over 35 mph on this bike, and I don’t plan on it. Recovery is much more difficult these days.

fyi,
Just for references, I know a person who goes through about 15 chains a year on his bike. He does ride a lot.

I didn't change my chain when I needed and now im in for a cassette, chain, front chain ring and shifter cable.

Back