Chain lube?

I only ride city roads. I use cheap coconut oil from the grocery store for the chain and every other part that needs it. I often use up a lot of paper towels cleaning the chain, gears. spokes and rims (lots of salt on the roads in winter) and the suspension forks. Not seeing any rust yet anywhere. I also use ACF-50 very occasionally on exposed areas after the first application where I doused all the metal parts, electronic connections and battery.

I've used White Lightning since my acoustic bike days, just because I like the name. ;) Oh yeah, and it works for me keeping the chain and the whole drivetrain lubed and clean.

It used to be easier when they only had one formulation, but they've grown and now the one I am using (which I believe is most similar to the original) is the 'Clean Ride'.

I apply to clean and re-lube the chain once a week.

https://www.amazon.com/White-Lightning-Clean-Ride-Squeeze/dp/B0016ZXE06?th=1

Don't know whether it is cheap or not compared to other brands, but since it has worked for me for so long I really don't even look at the others. And a 4 oz bottle lasts me a good long time (heavy initial application on new chains, but weekly re-application requires much less).

Here's a year-old review article on chain lubes: https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/fast-chain-lube-that-saves-you-money/

Molten wax submersion is the best, and most hassle.

Smoove and Silca NFS (NixFrixShun) came in second.

Here's a 6-year old article comparing a lot more lubricants: https://www.ceramicspeed.com/media/3505/velonews-friction-facts-chain-lube-tests-combined.pdf

For eBikes, we probably care less about saving 5 watts of power on the chain versus pure longevity extension, so it's hard to map these tests to our needs.

So far I am liking Dumonde tech. Used both lite and normal versions and they seem to be the longest lasting ones. Once I stretch my current chain I will talk about the wear.

My next to go one is prolink. Close to Dtech lite but doesn't last as long. Used Muc off, although it is clean it didn't last more than 50 miles. Triflow is my least favourite, gunks up and doesn't last long.

So far I am liking Dumonde tech. Used both lite and normal versions and they seem to be the longest lasting ones. Once I stretch my current chain I will talk about the wear.

My next to go one is prolink. Close to Dtech lite but doesn't last as long. Used Muc off, although it is clean it didn't last more than 50 miles. Triflow is my least favourite, gunks up and doesn't last long.
My choice also as mentioned above. Have been happy.

For eBikes, we probably care less about saving 5 watts of power on the chain versus pure longevity extension, so it's hard to map these tests to our needs.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner at work. When I clean out the tank, the bottom is filled with sludge...sludge that is magnetic. Meaning metal that has come off of chains, cassettes, and rings. Friction means wear, so the less friction you have, the longer parts will last. You want to use the lowest friction lubes.

When my youngest sons raced cross country mtb's they and their entire team used Tri-flow for chain lube because their coach felt it was the lowest friction lube that would flow into the rollers where the most friction was generated. This may have been the low friction solution, but it didn't hold up very long. They cleaned their chains after every ride and after every heat in a race, applying more tri-flow each time.

Now that they're older they use less labor intensive chain lubes like White Lightening. I've used this for years on our mechanicals and now ebikes with excellent drive train life and little to no shifting issues. I'll do a chain scrub and cassette cleaning once or twice a year, depending on conditions. In between scrub cleanings I'll do a chain wipe down with WD40 to get rid of dirt and grime then reapply chain lube and wipe clean when ever I get any less than perfect shifting. This might be every 200 miles or so, again depending on conditions. Riding in the rain, dirt or sand needs more frequent attention.

I change the chains every Spring to minimize wear-in of the gearing. I don't buy $40 chains so this is a fairly econonomical way to get maximum life out of the more expensive gearing.

Is there a consensus as to the best bicycle chain lubricant? I found that, on my chain drive motorcycles, gear oil 80w-90 worked. Would it also work on a modern bicycle chain? My 45 year old CCM has survived on gear oil also. Since I've order the Rad Rover I am trying to get up to speed as my last motorcycle was shaft drive and did not require chain lube... Thanks.

I know any oil/grease will work. But what I have found lately on the Cycle OZ site is to use candle wax! The recipe and know how is on the U-Tube site.
I have found it to be superior to anything I have used previously.

Is there a consensus as to the best bicycle chain lubricant? I found that, on my chain drive motorcycles, gear oil 80w-90 worked. Would it also work on a modern bicycle chain? My 45 year old CCM has survived on gear oil also. Since I've order the Rad Rover I am trying to get up to speed as my last motorcycle was shaft drive and did not require chain lube... Thanks.
Squirt wax lube is the best imo. Lasts longer than dry oil based lubes, keeps drivetrain mostly clean and no degreaser needed when re-applying.

I use Maxima chain wax on my motorbike chains, and like it because it works well, dries clear, and doesn't fling off. So I found a bicycle chain specific chain wax as well. So for the results are good. The only negative with chain wax is, it needs to be reapplied more often, but better that, than black goo everywhere, but of course a motorbike will fling off far more due to the high rpm's of the M/C.

Rock n Roll dry lube means no chain cleaning but do need to apply every 70 -100kms when dry . In wet after every commute else chain will start rusting. Wet lubes last 200kms in dry condition, more often in wet. Cleaning is bigger job especially crap buildup on idler wheels. Worst in dry dusty conditions.
I use dry in summer and wet in winter.

Belt drives do have their appeal.

Back