Chain length

Redspot

Greetings, first post. I'm awaiting the delivery of a Ultra 1000 Pro and I'm using the time to order general maintenance items and high wear spar parts. Right now I'm looking at chains. how many links should I buy for the shram system?

Are you a high mileage rider? Chains on my eBikes last 2,500 miles. Prices are high for spare parts right now because of demand. You'll save some money if you wait a few months or even a year.

SRAM's only come in 126 links length. When it's time to replace, remove the old chain and line up the new chain in parallel, then use a chain tool to cut to length. You'll also want to buy a few SRAM master links since they are not reusable.

I know for 12-speed drivetrains, SRAM'S X01 chain has the best wear properties, but I don't recall any data on 11-speed systems. I would look at SRAM's XX1 HARD CHROME CHAIN for starters.

Read this thread on Chain Maintenance, which includes using a digital caliper for measuring when your chain has stretched too far. Since you can pick up digital calipers for under $15 and it's by far the most accurate, I recommend that over using a purpose-built chain length gauge, which doesn't provide enough information and may cost even more.

Back